SW:TOR Subscriptions Dropping By 4% Every Single Day Since Release? Disturbing News

Xugos

There is a directly correlation between over-all activity and subscriber numbers, as I said earlier.

There's also a correlation between over-all activity and holiday periods, I think you'll find that's the main correlation your looking at.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That is just pure win, Algathor nailed him so bad he bailed out of that thread. I posted in a couple other threads there, it's fun nailing some of those people and watching them fumble about when they're canned arguments get exposed, but there's some good people there and this dude got nailed by one of them.lulz

Ye and now he is slowly going back in his cave, to think of the next assualt. :D

Yet again I want to post my clarification on graphics;

quick info on this; (as I'm the developer of that tool), the generated charts DOES NOT represent user subscriptions.

Instead the tool reads http://www.swtor.com/server-status and generate charts for server-loads based on given population field on the page.

So basically a total value of 800 (in y axis) for a total of 215 server means = 800 / 215 = 3.7 = ~ Heavy population in average.

Where as a value of 600 (in y axis) for a total of 215 server means = 800 / 215 = 2.7 = Standard population.

0 -> offline

1 - 2 -> light

2 - 3-> standard

3 - 4 -> heavy

4 - 5 -> very heavy

5+ -> full

So yet again, the game did not lost active subscribers last two weeks but instead average population of servers dropped down - which is a good thing (meaning less queues if any).

In MMO launches, heavy populations are always expected and over time they normalize - which is already the case for SWTOR -- and those charts actually represent that.

Can anybody with a post in first page of the thread can paste this explanation? So people can get an understanding of the charts before commenting on the OP's erroneous interpretation of them.

Wow that is impressive to have the guy the made the damn page step in and tell the OP hes wrong.

Wow... that is just... wow.

The tool only measures the server status, thats all.

Take into account that BW tweaked the servers after launch, meaning that the servers do allow more people online at the same time without showing full and queqing. That is meaning when they said tehy r working on this, letting more pople in at he same time without the servers complaining.

Thus the tool says nothing, because the numbers asociated with the server status are relative and that relativity got changed.

Such a tool would only be able to give a real feedback only player behavior if you hacked the BW database and get a hold on the real numbers of only players online but not on the server status, which is a mere psychological feature that BW shows us.

In early EQ SOE did show the real only numbers for each server (up to 10k each, if I remember correctly) but stopped that one day to just show "up" or "down" and I hated that change. (it sometimes showed up during patches or down while the severs were long up again)

You do realize that Bioware could simply lower the player quota for showing "heavy" populations on the server list to grant the illusion that the game is thriving?

Hahahaha, omg. hahahaha... We are a few friends at my place, you just made us laugh out loud.

Elvis is still alive, marilyn monroe was killed by JFK.

The english queen is actually a lizard that can transform.

Am i doing it right?

Time to come out, if you need attention this much, it's time to come out.

well if it was any accurate.. that makes 40% per 10 days.. 30 days : 120% so game would be only with gms insisde it, i never seen such a thing, even whenever i get home, i find more and more people inside the fleet... so how is it possible?!

I think you need to take some math lessons...

After 10 days that would be 33% have left

After 30 days that would be 70% have left

Please oh please stop feeding him...he'll die off by the 21st if we just ignore him.

Unless he's a secret masochist and will continue to sub even though he hates the game and wants to see it die.

The OP conveniently left after the author of the figures stepped in and stated how his data was collected.

http://www.swtorarena.com/statistics

The over-all trend diagram says that SW:TOR's population has been dropping by ~4% every single day since the two days after release.

It also says that 86% of servers are light, and ~13.5% are standard, and ~0.5% are other.

Losing 4% of your total subscribers everyday is not something that "always happens to new MMOs."

Let's say this: 1.2 million subs right now.

From this it follows that:

(1.2 million)(0.96)^30 = 0.293857643(1.2 million) = ~352k subs after 30 days.

This trend is also quite reputable since it has been occurring for the past 2.5 weeks or so.

The number of 352 000 subscriptions is lower than Bioware's published break-even point of 500 000 subs. Is this trouble for SW:TOR's future over-all?

This is alarming news to anyone who realizes that SW:TOR's community is already dispersed in-game as is, will a population drop make implementing cross-server services such as LFG and PvP matchmaker MANDATORY things in order for the game to survive?

I believe so, because as is, people spam LFG chat for 40 min - 50 min in order to just look for a group. As the population drops, this will only get worse.

Merging servers is also a possibility, but most MMO developers avoid that like the plague since it is a subtle indication that their game is dying.

And where does this website get their information from?

No where, its all a load of ********.

You have to wait till the next stockholders meeting where EA gives out the details on the amount of current subscriptions in swtor.

I'm hoping most of the losses are the people who really should be playing FPS games yet insist on effing up the development of MMOs with their inane requests for more akshun and pewpew.

If Bioware quits instancing this game into oblivion and lets the solid MMO community that will stay with the game interact, this game will be very profitable for a very long time.

Or they could do what every other failed MMO of the past 5 years has done and try to strictly emulate WoWs development, in which case they will likely turn their core audience off so much that they will find something else to do.

So, what you're trying to rationalize here is that people who play MMOs pack up and leave as soon as the holidays and 1-month period end?

That didn't happen with WoW. If that's happening, something is wrong.

Really? WoW was released (at least in Europe) AFTER christmas. You can't really compare the two.

And where does this website get their information from?

No where, its all a load of ********.

You have to wait till the next stockholders meeting where EA gives out the details on the amount of current subscriptions in swtor.

The author of the website has clarified, it's based solely on the server-status page.

Yet again I want to post my clarification on graphics;

quick info on this; (as I'm the developer of that tool), the generated charts DOES NOT represent user subscriptions.

Instead the tool reads http://www.swtor.com/server-status and generate charts for server-loads based on given population field on the page.

So basically a total value of 800 (in y axis) for a total of 215 server means = 800 / 215 = 3.7 = ~ Heavy population in average.

Where as a value of 600 (in y axis) for a total of 215 server means = 800 / 215 = 2.7 = Standard population.

0 -> offline

1 - 2 -> light

2 - 3-> standard

3 - 4 -> heavy

4 - 5 -> very heavy

5+ -> full

So yet again, the game did not lost active subscribers last two weeks but instead average population of servers dropped down - which is a good thing (meaning less queues if any).

In MMO launches, heavy populations are always expected and over time they normalize - which is already the case for SWTOR -- and those charts actually represent that.

Can anybody with a post in first page of the thread can paste this explanation? So people can get an understanding of the charts before commenting on the OP's erroneous interpretation of them.

0 -> offline

1 - 2 -> light

2 - 3-> standard

3 - 4 -> heavy

4 - 5 -> very heavy

5+ -> full

[/color]

What's even more interesting is that, as I strongly suspect, the population labels might not always mean the same thing in terms of actual characters logged in.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the first couple of weeks the server caps for the "Full" and "Heavy" labels were lower than they are now, and not at all consistent between servers. This would have been a way for Bioware to manage queue sizes and to spread population around.

Anyways, I congratulate you on the initiative and I like the presentation of the site. And I hope that in the future Bioware will release tools that will make tracking population data possible.

Honestly, if BioWare doesn't start adding the Legacy Function very soon that Balances the Jedi Sage to match the Sith Inquisitor i wont be playing much longer either. Not to mention most of the Gear for Jedi Sages just look like Garbage and i mean like Garbage look at it, it looks like the Jedi Sage went into a Trashcan grabbed a bunch of stuff out of it and started wearing it. Dont even get me going with the boring Star Wars Space Combat Battles on TOR, atleast on Star Wars Galaxies you had the freedom to fly in Space and Interact in Battles on here its some kind of cheap Arcade Game you could most likely play on your iPhone or Android. While i love BioWare they really just messed up the Republic Side.