10 FPS with GPU load at 20%? Huh?

TheSpaceFerret

This only happens in a few places...most noticeably and consistently on board the Republic Fleet. I'll get as low as 10 FPS while, according to MSI Afterburner, my GPU load is only 20% or so. This is especially strange since, elsewhere in the game, my GPU load generally sits at around 40% while running anywhere from 40-80 FPS.

My CPU barely ever crosses 50% usage and I'm only ever using 5GB at most of my 16GB of RAM.

I just don't get why my FPS would be so low if my GPU isn't struggling.

Is there some other possible bottleneck that I'm missing? If so, why is it only affecting me in certain places? Is this the "low FPS" that so many people are complaining about? I always figured they just had crap video cards or 2GB of RAM or something.

1. Only because I haven't used it on these forums yet, and I'm dying to, cool story bro

2. It's not because of your computer. It's because you're a communist.

But seriously, yes, there must be a load problem. I imagine this is the engine and, while not impossible to fix, it can take a while. Months, not years. This gets down to RAM and CPU utilization, as well as the bits of the system and throughput. It takes a lot more work to split up the processing work throughout an individual's computer. You have to manually decide how many things will be allocated, on the development end of the software.

I'm sorry you're having these issues. I am too, as are many. I think BioWare can and will fix it, and I hope they do. This is definitely game architecture. I bought my computer 7 weeks ago and have a 100mbps network connection with a solid state drive and I still have lagging and choppiness as well as the ability delay so I don't buy any explanation for ANYTHING in-game except that it needs to be fixed on the architecture front.

I think the load actually decreasing proves that it has nothing to do with the PC itself. Even a $250 Walmart HP should get to 100% load before frame rate suffers. If I was doing that, I'd say that I either needed a new video card or there were some fairly huge programming flaws...but low FPS and absurdly low GPU load, and only while walking in certain areas? That's just weird.