The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

Except they are still using high res textures to sell the game RIGHT NOW when a fix could still be 2.5 months or more away. And that "fix" is still only going to apply high res textures to your toon, maybe your companion, and maybe your party members. They still won't be applied to everyone you see.

Actually we don't even know they are going to put high res textures in for any of those. All we know is they are going to try to improve character graphical 'fidelity.'

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except they are still using high res textures to sell the game RIGHT NOW when a fix could still be 2.5 months or more away. And that "fix" is still only going to apply high res textures to your toon, maybe your companion, and maybe your party members. They still won't be applied to everyone you see.

Every game uses Screenshots that are touched up to sell a game, nothing new.

Actually we don't even know they are going to put high res textures in for any of those. All we know is they are going to try to improve character graphical 'fidelity.'

And who said March? Reid's post seems to indicate a long term plan, including 'development time'.

Which brings me back to this hero engine there using.

Seems like it can't support high end graphics with bogging down and it has some sound conflicts.

Is this what we have to deal with now and down the road?

If they are having issues with the Hero engine they should get on the phone with the people who wrote it. Im sure the hero engine makers have updates to the functionality of that engine. They should also have tech support from the devs of the hero engine. I dont think they purchased it from hero and the hero engine makers said.... have fun making your game. Im sure they have support for programming issues. Im sure they should be able to fix it.. but its going to take a while i bet. I am probably going to take a month off from this game and see what fixes go in. Im tired of buying to beta test this stuff. Especially when the beta seemed to run better durning the stress test. Edited by JonnyFS

Every game uses Screenshots that are touched up to sell a game, nothing new.

Every MMO I've ever played, and I've played most of them, has shown screenshots with in game footage that could be achieved by the end user with top end hardware. I'm not talking about CGI promo vids - I'm talking about screenshots. If you can point to doctored screenshots from any mainstream MMO, please do.

Edited by Rophez

Lotro has many ingame options that you can use to tweak out your video settings for high end PC's and i knew of people who couldnt run that game on high when it came out. If you do have a high end PC you can get your toons to look like this.

http://content.turbine.com/sites/lorebook.lotro.com/images/uploaded/f/ff/Green_rk_outfit.jpg

Its sad that on a high end PC lotro blows this ***** away.

http://i.imgur.com/rWYmS.jpg

Edited by JonnyFS

If they are having issues with the Hero engine they should get on the phone with the people who wrote it. Im sure the hero engine makers have updates to the functionality of that engine. They should also have tech support from the devs of the hero engine. I dont think they purchased it from hero and the hero engine makers said.... have fun making your game. Im sure they have support for programming issues. Im sure they should be able to fix it.. but its going to take a while i bet. I am probably going to take a month off from this game and see what fixes go in. Im tired of buying to beta test this stuff. Especially when the beta seemed to run better durning the stress test.

Well, see the thing is. They've been all over the Interwebs saying how they re-wrote the engine and how it's so freaking amazing and blah, blah, blah.

Personally I am a strong believer that the engine is a bunch of amteurish poop and having worked with number of 3D engines, I'd personally never picked this one. Heck, I'll take Unity3D over this any day of the week.

Lotro has many ingame options that you can use to tweak out your video settings for high end PC's and i knew of people who couldnt run that game on high when it came out. If you do have a high end PC you can get your toons to look like this.

http://content.turbine.com/sites/lorebook.lotro.com/images/uploaded/f/ff/Green_rk_outfit.jpg

Its sad that on a high end PC lotro blows this ***** away.

http://i.imgur.com/rWYmS.jpg

LOTRO did not release though with the highest textures, it wasn't until 2 to 3 months down the road after launch that they did so along with dx10 features but yet they advertised the game with them.

Edited by Mr_Crueak

And who said March? Reid's post seems to indicate a long term plan, including 'development time'.

Well, Reid said 1.2 and Q1 2012. Ohlen, in a completely unrelated interview said that 1.2 was slated for March. But still, that could be 2.5 months away and we don't know what specific "fix" will be included.

The reflections when you don't set LOD to -3 is what BW intended for it to look like. Setting it to -3 is not what they wanted, it's over-riding how they made it and thus makes the game look ****.

If you don't believe me, go to the republic/imperial fleet. the hexagons on the floor reflect things, but the reflections are low and coupled with the dirtyness of the texture (intentional) it makes the floor appear scarmy, like it's been walked on by thousands of feet. This is what they wanted and it looks good.

Now change to LOD -3 (i.e. a setting not intended to be used by BW) what do you see now? alot more reflections, reflections that interfere with the alpha texture on the floor which dictates which section of the texture reflects, causing unwanted pixelation, and then people complain about that.

Leave the LOD settings as they are and play it with the environment detail the way BW wanted it to be.

NB: this has nothing to do with character texture resolution, it's all environment, which currently is at maximum and can be set to maximum.

the only reason they want it to look choppy is becuase they did not do republic reflection it's a copy pasta of the empire fleet...

http://i.imgur.com/TXxMe.jpg

Do you notice any MIND TRICK in this picture ? ( hint hint for the lowbie there are imperial flags in the reflection of the republic fleet)

Edited by Paralassa
insult quote

LOTRO did not release though with the highest textures, it wasn't until 2 to 3 months down the road after launch that they did so along with dx10 features but yet they advertised the game with them.

They did release a high rez texture pack at the same time as release. They didnt release a dx10 addtion untill i few months or so. If you didnt want the high rez you could skip the install. I think to this date they have this option. dx10 was in a beta stat for a while. Which is crazy that Bio should have had the option to turn the high rez textures on or off or have a add on pack if you want them or not. All that makes the high rez textures work is a flag in the programing. Also from what i have been reading about the hero engine is that you dont need to even shut down the server to run updates. They should be able to re-enable the high rez server side and users would just have to log out and back in for the change to take place to use the high rez textures.

Hero Engine info

http://www.heroengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/HeroEngineBrochureSpreadOnline-1.pdf

lotro dx 10 info

http://kotaku.com/341516/lotro-gets-prettier-with-nvidia-and-dx10

Lotro actually has a ultra high rez i believe and people knew if they didnt have beefy pcs it would suck.

Edited by JonnyFS

the only reason they want it to look choppy is becuase they did not do republic reflection it's a copy pasta of the empire fleet...

Do you notice any MIND TRICK in this picture ? ( hint hint for the lowbie there are imperial flags in the reflection of the republic fleet)

you are speculated so i will too, they did not intend for the floors to look like those screenshots, those screen shots are taken by forcing something that wasn't intended to be seen. Under normal conditions the reflections look fine and you cannot tell it is of a different fleet which makes perfect sense, do it once and reuse it, saves development time. They did not intend to have the floors be mirrors. I'm willing to bet they could have put in crysis type dx17 graphics and the floors will not intentionally ever look like those screenshots, pure ugliness.

yes because we all lplay the game zoomed in withing 3 microns of our characters face amirite?

as i said, go ahead leave, ill be here having FUN instead of thinking of commiting suicide over PIXELS lol pathetic

the only one being pathetic here is you fanboy drone, cause you accept that they sh*t onto your head while taking money for it, and you smile at them while they do it and have FUN

Enabling high textures will put a strain on your video card. The rendering engine is not optimized and will burn out most peoples video cards.

That is why it is not enabled. Just like back in the day with Starcraft 2 launch with it ui. It was proven to push heat over the top and fry people's vid cards.

That is the only explaination I have. Ever notice heat /fan spin up in cutsceens? That is because their rendering engine is trashing you gpu.

Edited by Grapenut

The high-resolution client was available during beta and was available on launch day.

The game was not advertised with DX10. The developers said they wanted to implement DX10, but DX10 came out during the game's beta so they weren't able to have it in for release.

No that's not the "only" reason. Granted they cut a corner with the reflections for the republic fleet (i saw that pic a a few days ago), but playing the game with environ settings set the way they intended them to be set, you won't see them anyway. Having LOD set to -3 makes the reflections look horrible and ruin the diffuse texture.

Oh and please explain how the settings with LOD set to 0 appear "choppy". setting it to LOD -3 makes them look far more choppy as they put the alpha compression in a much worse state causing sever pixelation around edges.

/facepalm Oh wow, thats painful.

Is this real? can anyone confirm Empire flags in the Republic fleet? Ive never played republic so I cant look. Someone really dropped the ball there. If I was RPing on Republic, I would be uhm, yeah, upset to say the least.

Hey everyone, this may be a little OT but I don't know where else to post it, and don't feel it''s special enough to warrant it's own thread.

I'm getting a max of 24 fps on LOW settings, no shadows, no vsync, running in compatibility mode Windows XP Service Pack 3(I have Windows 7), dropping to 13-14 fps when in crowded areas or buildings.

My specs are as follows:

Intel i3 3.1 ghz processor

ATI Radeon HD 5450

4GB Ram

1 TB Hard Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227290

That's off the top of my head(at work atm), but I'm pretty sure those are accurate. I'm not too tech-savvy, so I couldn't figure out how to turn anti-aliasing on in Catalyst(then again I'm not sure if it would help or which setting to turn it to), and didn't want to overclock it since I don't know the consequences nor if it would help. I'm just pretty stunned that my computer gets higher FPS in SC2 than this game, and changing from high to low makes a very marginal difference(something like 5 fps). I'd like to make sure there's nothing else I can do before going out and buying a new graphics card/power supply. I'd just like to play without it being choppy and looking decent

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps <3

The high-resolution client was available during beta and was available on launch day.

The game was not advertised with DX10. The developers said they wanted to implement DX10, but DX10 came out during the game's beta so they weren't able to have it in for release.

if so, i stand corrected. I swear i remember differently though but does not make it fact :p.

Edited by Mr_Crueak

The graphical options for the upcoming 'The Secret World' were recently leaked from beta, take a look! As you can see the game has over 10 options to configure, including Motion Blur, FXAA, and View Distance.

http://imageshack.us/f/24/thesecretworldgraphical.jpg/

I would like to see an FXAA option in SWTOR. Forcing supersampling right now greatly improves the visuals but with FXAA their would be little to no performance impact.

Edited by ToonPhil