Companions are a part of you , you should roll for gears for them.

Damatese

This has NOTHING to do with being greedy or wrong. If I a Sith Inquistor need gears for my companion to help me level easier on the way up. Then so be it, if they DIDN't want me to do that they would have made companion gear drops only. The fact that they gave you companions AND let them wear regular people gears means they want you to roll for your companion gears.

It is what it on the way up via grouping and what not, now once at 50 I can see how rolling for companion would be wrong. After all you would no longer need to use them since you would be doing operation only. But on the way up, I believe it is Bioware intention for you to arm your companion to the best of your abilities via, items dropps, buying or even using commendation tokens.

There is nothing wrong with it, unless those other three players I am with plan on being with me every moment I log in, I need a better healer or tank depending on the situation. Nuff said.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If your companion is used by the group than it has equal right to the gear. If it is not then it isn't helping the group, and therefore is not for the group to improve.

It's similar to rolling for dual-specs in other games. If you're not using that spec to help the group the group shouldn't be responsible to gear you for it.

Of course, not everyone will agree. That is what seems most courteous to the group though. Only expect from the group what you put into it.

If your companion is used by the group than it has equal right to the gear. If it is not then it isn't helping the group, and therefore is not for the group to improve.

It's similar to rolling for dual-specs in other games. If you're not using that spec to help the group the group shouldn't be responsible to gear you for it.

Of course, not everyone will agree. That is what seems most courteous to the group though. Only expect from the group what you put into it.

Good idea. The roll window should be changed to make it so you cannot roll "need" on something you can't wear unless your companion is out and can wear it.

This has NOTHING to do with being greedy or wrong. If I a Sith Inquistor need gears for my companion to help me level easier on the way up. Then so be it, if they DIDN't want me to do that they would have made companion gear drops only. The fact that they gave you companions AND let them wear regular people gears means they want you to roll for your companion gears.

It is what it on the way up via grouping and what not, now once at 50 I can see how rolling for companion would be wrong. After all you would no longer need to use them since you would be doing operation only. But on the way up, I believe it is Bioware intention for you to arm your companion to the best of your abilities via, items dropps, buying or even using commendation tokens.

There is nothing wrong with it, unless those other three players I am with plan on being with me every moment I log in, I need a better healer or tank depending on the situation. Nuff said.

Human beings > pixels

I understand what you are saying but if I don't roll on any gear I should be able to use my 1 need, 1 greed and one offroll however I want. Well i use my 1 need for my companion. Where is the problem with that?

Don't get me wrong, I do see your points. However, if you roll for a companion over a member of the group, you will come off as an extremely greedy person that may end up not getting you groups in the future.

It's really all about perception. Nobody is going to say "His companion really needed that so it's ok" they are going to say "that **** just ninja looted a piece that our (x class) could have used"

Again, the lines are a little blurred in this game since you will use a companion most of the time leveling, people are just not going to let it sit well when they lose out to someones companion.

Personally I believe what's most courteous to the group is to vocalize what you prefer one way or another. If you plan on rolling need for companion gear, say so. If you'd prefer people didn't do that, say so.

But if you keep your mouth shut and expect people to read your mind either way, I don't think people should act so surprised when things don't go their way.

I would say that you can Need on any Companion Gear if you can use the companion everywhere...except you can't.

You can't use it in an Operation.

You can't use it in a Flashpoint.

You can't use it in the new Ilum PvP Zones (see 1.1 Patch Notes).

You can't use it in warzones.

Tbh, it helps you solo levelling. If you need on loot you're going to give to a companion, you're just being a douchebag.

Rolling need for your companion while you're in a full group with real players that can use the gear is like rolling need for an alt that you have.

If you are so self-centered and greedy that you can't see why it's wrong to roll need for your companion gear over group mates that can use it, then you're playing the wrong genre and should stick games more your speed... like checkers or tic tac toe.

Your companion doesn't assist you in heroic FP's, Warzones or Ops. Therefore your companion does not need gear from these places, and you should not need them over actual played characters who can take part in that content.

Stop being greedy.

I think the community consensus on this is going to be that rolling need for companion gear is frowned upon. If the tank can really use that piece of heavy armor and the Inquistor rolls need on it for Khem the tank is going to be pissed. The same you going to be pissed at the tank rolling on light armor for his healer companion denying your character from getting an upgrade.

Without cross-realm LFD the communities on servers should be tighter then in WoW, or equivlent to what WoW was back in BC where ninja looters got called out and there was some consequence to your actions.

I would do it at your own risk.

Companions are a minor part of you.

The players actually participating in the FP or Heroic are a major part of the effort to get that gear.

They get first dibs, not a companion that isn't there and didn't contribute anytime towards the acquisition of the gear you are greedily needing on.

Edited by Fraxture

There is something wrong with it if a player in the group can directly use it on their character. Character need -> Companion need -> Greed -> Pass

And yet the way the system is designed completely crushes your logic and opinion. Like the OP said, if Bioware had the intention of making group content loot ONLY for the real life players themselves who are in the FP and not companions, they definitely would have designed it that way.

You are complaining about another design choice by the creators.

You guys are all *********** noobs. Seriously is this your first MMO? You all legitimately sound like trolls even though you are being completely serious. I have been playing MMOs for 7 years now. Never once have I ever thought it was okay to roll need on something that I personally wasn't going to use. Your companion doesn't mean anything to the group. You get to roll need on stuff you can personally use on your CHARACTER. and so do they. Ninja loot enough times and you will eventually be known as a ninja looter and you will not be let into groups anymore. On my way leveling up I saw it happen to plenty on people. It's due to you all as well, obviously.

You guys are all *********** noobs. Seriously is this your first MMO? You all legitimately sound like trolls even though you are being completely serious. I have been playing MMOs for 7 years now. Never once have I ever thought it was okay to roll need on something that I personally wasn't going to use. Your companion doesn't mean anything to the group. You get to roll need on stuff you can personally use on your CHARACTER. and so do they. Ninja loot enough times and you will eventually be known as a ninja looter and you will not be let into groups anymore. On my way leveling up I saw it happen to plenty on people. It's due to you all as well, obviously.

And yet the way the system is designed completely crushes your logic and opinion. Like the OP said, if Bioware had the intention of making group content loot ONLY for the real life players themselves who are in the FP and not companions, they definitely would have designed it that way.

You are complaining about another design choice by the creators.

So by this same reasoning, everyone needs credits!

I need credits to keep my gear / companions' gear / skills up to date!

I'm going to roll NEED on stuff that I'm not going to equip for myself or any of my companions because I need the cash!

After all, I'm helping to clear that particular content! I have a right to roll on that fancy double bladed lightsaber as a smuggler! Who cares if I can't use it or that I don't have any jedi companions? (no Guss, you only heal with your "jedi powers!")

I need the 3000 credits it will fetch when it sells!

---

Now, how would the other people in the group feel about my decision? How would that Shadow tank feel when I need on that double saber that he will actually equip?

It all boils down to basic human respect and decency. Sure, you can cut in line in the real world. You can cheat on your wife because you love another woman. You can murder, steal, and have relations with goats.

You are certainly free to do whatever you want.

However, other humans are certainly free to not associate with you nor think highly of you for doing those things.