Enjoying the game

morporkia

Just wanted to say that we do exist! I'm really enjoying myself, as is everyone I'm playing with.

I'd been playing World of Warcraft for about three, four years, and hadn't gotten tired of it yet. I was planning on playing TOR as a single-player game, to get my single-player RPG fix, while still raiding in WoW. When I started asking around to see who was planning to play about a week before Early Access, I got three responses; everyone else was pretty 'meh'.

Then Early Access came, I started playing with those friends, we talked about it on Ventrilo, and a couple more people picked up the game. In the end, my entire World of Warcraft raid group switched over, and we're looking forward to ops. More casual friends are having a blast as well.

It's a bit disorientating to go from the happy happy fun fun atmosphere in guild chat to the forums, but I suppose the game can't appeal to everyone, and my friends and I just happen to be part of the target audience. In any case, we're here! *waves*

Bored. And I've already cancelled my sub., and I won't be going back to that troll/kid festival of a game called wow. I don't mind waiting some months for the best MMO ever.

Guild Wars 2 please.

Until you find a reason to trash it too.

You will never be happy, because all you want is more of the same.

I'm glad you cancelled your sub, maybe I won't see you ****posting anymore.

Agreed. I and those in my guild are enjoying ourselves. As someone said, those of us that aren't disgruntled are busy playing the game, not looking for sympathetic ears to our whines, moans, and complaints about it.

If not for the fact that I'm at work and posting from my phone, I'd be playing right now. Instead I have to settle for coming here and listen to the whines of how medium res textures are making the game unplayable. I too told myself I was going to stop coming here, way back in beta, but it's my only link to TOR while I'm at work, so...

Until you find a reason to trash it too.

You will never be happy, because all you want is more of the same.

I'm glad you cancelled your sub, maybe I won't see you ****posting anymore.

This is just another MMO with a Star Wars Skin.

The only thing that will carry this MMO is the famous name STAR WARS! Thats it, not the content, not the game. The simple fact that they have the name STAR WARS! Will take them to where they need to be. They had 6 years and $200 million to do great things with this game? Tell me exactly what they're offering that WoW, Rift, and many others don't have? Some crappy voice overs, and class quests? Thats the best they had in 6 years.. Lol. Guild Wars 2 has done EVERYTHING different.

Learn and go and read please.

Edited by OriginalVs

The only thing that will carry this MMO is the famous name STAR WARS! Thats it, not the content, not the game. The simple fact that they have the name STAR WARS! Will take them to where they need to be. They had 6 years and $200 million to do great things with this game? Tell me exactly what they're offering that WoW, Rift, and many others don't have? Some crappy voice overs? Thats the best they had in 6 years.. Lol. Guild Wars 2 has done EVERYTHING different.

Thought GW2 came out in '09. Swore I read that somewhere. Any day now, I'm sure...

Hey, I'm a veteran MMO player, started with Anarchy Online and I'll say that this has been one of the best launches, yea there are still some bugs and things but overall its a great game, thank you guys so much for making it! And to everyone else just give it a bit of time I'm sure they'll have it all up to speed real soon!

Bored. And I've already cancelled my sub., and I won't be going back to that troll/kid festival of a game called wow. I don't mind waiting some months for the best MMO ever.

Guild Wars 2 please.

You will be in Guild Wars 2, but you will do the same there. No doubt.

I will buy and play Guild Wars 2 aswell, since it's free to play i think anyone should pick it up. But i wont leave Swtor, i like this game alot.

But i can promise you, you will find several issues with Gw2 aswell, trust me.

Thing is that its usually the ones disappointed or wondering about something that come to the forums, if you are happy and everything is working you are probebly playing instead of browsing the forum.

Exactly.

My wife and I make an effort to go out of our way to always call a supervisor to praise good service.

And the funny thing is, the individual on the other end of the line always seems to be shocked, they were expecting us to complain.

Humanity is in a sad state.. :(

...oh yeah, wife and I are loving the game and here to help make it better. :D

Edited by Fraxture

The only thing that will carry this MMO is the famous name STAR WARS! Thats it, not the content, not the game. The simple fact that they have the name STAR WARS! Will take them to where they need to be. They had 6 years and $200 million to do great things with this game? Tell me exactly what they're offering that WoW, Rift, and many others don't have? Some crappy voice overs, and class quests? Thats the best they had in 6 years.. Lol. Guild Wars 2 has done EVERYTHING different.

All mmo's are bits and pieces of other ones, no way around it. Would bet any amount of money that "GW2 has done EVERYTHING different" is a false statement. Have fun hyping it tho.

All mmo's are bits and pieces of other ones, no way around it. Would bet any amount of money that "GW2 has done EVERYTHING different" is a false statement. Have fun hyping it tho.

Yup, hype keeps everyone's head in the clouds.

Then the release brings them down to earth.

I expect this at every MMO launch.

And I am never proved wrong or disappointed in the results.

Different strokes for different folks.

What sends one individual in to an all out rage, is a minor annoyance to another.

Edited by Fraxture

I'm not much of a Star Wars fan; haven't watched the originals in well over a decade. I certainly wouldn't play anything for it. I love this game.

Here's why:

1) Story. You may not enjoy it, but others do. I don't consider the voice-overs 'crappy', but in any case, it's not the voice-overs that seal the deal for me: it's the attempt to make questing engaging, to make dialogue responses have an impact. Planescape: Torment this is not, but it's far beyond anything the MMO market has put out so far.

I love the fact that a random conversation decision I made in a previous quest actually turned out to change the follow-up quest in a significant fashion: someone who might have turned traitor did not do so, and in fact stepped up to do the Republic proud.

Perhaps you don't think much of this; it's just a bunch of pixels doing one thing instead of another. But I care about the NPCs in this game. I love the fact that every time I make a decision, I have to consider how it's likely to impact my companion, and if doing what I think is right is worth making my companion unhappy.

Losing 1 affection with a companion doesn't mean much. It's easy to make it back. But I don't think of it that way -- the game is immersive enough that I think of it as disappointing them, upsetting them, making them think less of me. And I think it's awesome that the game makes me care.

This might not matter to you. It matters to me.

2) Companions. I play a healer. In the past, it often meant that I'd level as a DPS spec before switching to healing at max level, or that I'd level a DPS toon first, for money, and only level my healer with friends. I've never had as much fun soloing as a healer as I have in this game.

But even beyond the convenience of having companions, I love the fact that they're there, populating my ship, making adventures less lonely. These aren't just a bunch of stats and pixels following you around; they have personalities, likes and dislikes, opinions and quirks.

I have plenty of real friends to play with when I choose to do so, but sometimes it's nice to have the illusion of companionship rather than the actual thing, you know? Well, maybe you don't. I can't explain it very clearly, except to say that companions don't judge: they won't care if I take a 10 minute detour to pick all the herbs in the area, or if I alt-tab out for half an hour to have a snack, or watch a vid. At the same time, playing completely alone is just, well, lonely.

Sorry, maybe you have to be a certain mixture of social and anti-social to grok that.

Suffice it to say that I believe TOR would be a completely different experience without companions, and a much poorer one.

3) Lots of random tweaks and conveniences, such as companion crafting, crafting from bank storage instead of just bag storage, fully moddable gear, etc. that I don't believe have been used elsewhere. (Actually, I don't know about the moddable gear; I just haven't seen it used in the games that I've played.) These are just conveniences, so they're not a huge deal to me, but they're nice to have. I also happen to think that the environmental aesthetics are gorgeous, even if they're not as graphically sharp as they could be.

For me, that's enough of a contrast from what's come before to make the difference between 'will play if everyone else wants to' to 'would play even if nobody else I knew were playing'. It's just a bonus that a lot of my friends like this game, too.

I have nothing against Guild Wars 2, and hey, if TOR has slowed and stagnated sufficiently by the time that comes out, maybe I'll play that instead. At the moment, though, I don't see it happening.

Edited by morporkia