The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

How is Powertech PVP?

KhealThar

great fun, guarding people and using taunts every cd feels like you are contributing nearly as much as a healer at times. Also relatively decent dmg and good survivablity. Can run the ball in huttball well, and get jet charge and grapple for shenanigans.

Absolutely love the class.

How fun is Powertech PVP and how well do they perform?

Also, what would be the ideal spec if one was interested in PVP?

Fun is subjective most of the people in this board are going to tell you it is fun.

As for ideal specs generally the two regarded as the "best".

The first is a deep Pyro build if you like to do burst damage, rail shot procs coupled with thermal detonator hurt...alot.

Then there is the hybrid "parakeet" build that is mostly a tank build but only goes up far enough to get rocket punch then goes pyro for added damage. It does less damage than a pure Pyro build but has better survivability and mobility.

Edited by Dharagada

• 2 weeks later...

I love powertech pvp. Its not massive amounts of damage, but you're able to stay alive long enough to have a fighting chance. Only thing I wish we had a little more of is a little longer stun, but I'm not complaining.

I use a build called the "Carolina Parakeet". There are a ton of forums and topics about it. But here is the build

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GRrbbMboZ0MZbIbbdh.1

This is how I'm currently specced. I usually do pretty well, surprisingly top damage a lot of times. Cant complain there as a tank class.

The key with the class for sure is rail shot, and its ability to be refreshed by flame jet and rocket punch. Give it a try. I have a lot of fun with it.

Edited by Gnomie

This is how the class performs in PvP if you strictly want to kill people - http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/72/screenshot2012010911075.jpg/

Full Pyrotech. If you want to tank and Guard someone, ST is a viable route that does surprisingly good damage for a tank, especially if you're in full DPS gear. AP is an under-performing spec atm that gives you some extra mobility but at the cost of losing a very large amount of pure DPS that you get from going Pyrotech. Hopefully it will get buffs soon, I like AP's playstyle very much but for a DPS tree it just doesn't kill nearly as efficiently as Pyrotech does.

Edited by Mhak

Fun is what you make of it. Personally I love being a Powertech, I find the versatility, survivability and mobility suit my taste very well. I wish the person who designed the PT would have designed the Magus in WAR.

As for pvp spec, the 2 most popular ones have already been mentioned, but when you get high enough in level don't be afraid to try something out on your own.

pvp in the high 40s wit the parrokeet build, tank gear setup, and a pocket healer(even that isnt nessecary). decent damage, amazing surviliblity and completely mobile. the mobility is prolly the most amazing thing in this build. even though our damage is decent, the mobility factor makes us a force to be reckoned wit. enuff pressure on a key healer making them heal themselves instead of the rest of the warzone, makes attacking/defending forces crumble. guarding a healer also yields us some of the most medals per game. I pulled 10 in a game last nite.

the only real issue i see is effectively shutting down a really good healer. just not enuff burst damage wit our few interrupts and stuns to keep em down fer long. but we are persistant though.

so what is the moral of this story, pick up a pocket healer or two and have a blast runnin the ball in hutt or holding a spot down in voidstar.

I love PvP on my PT. I run a CP build. I feel very helpful to my teams. I can guard healers or ball carriers or just carry the damn thing my self. We have a good amount of mobility and can put out pritty good damage. Grapple is one of the most fun skills in the game. My only problem is killing healers. In a full pryo or the bulldog build you can melt healers faces but you lose alot of surviveabilty and moblity. All and all I am very happy I rolled a PT. I hear people in my guild ************ about there class choice all the time but I never do :)

In a full pryo or the bulldog build you can melt healers faces but you lose alot of surviveabilty and moblity.

Just wanted to point out, you don't actually lose much survivability. Defense/shield stats are largely ignored by a majority of attacks in PvP, and elemental/internal damage completely bypass armor. As a full Pyro using a tech gen, I have 30% mitigation from armor, and another 11.5% mitigation from expertise.

That's a flat 41.5% less damage I take from kinetic/energy damage and 11.5% from everything else. I feel extremely tanky in PvP even as full DPS. Add to that 17k health, Kolto Overload, and a Rakata Medpack and I've had more than one person ask how I pulled 400k damage in a huttball when they knew for fact I was tank spec...

It's because their facts ain't straight :p

My Powertech is only 30 at the moment but I am having a blast in PvP. I felt strong before the 50s were separated out and now that they are gone and there is no more expertise it is awesome. I am usually first in damage with ~200k and when I am not it is usually another Bounty Hunter beating me. If I am at full health I feel like a win a 1v1 more often than not. I might have to pop bubble, trinket and stun but I usually get to be the one to walk away.

All and all it is a ton of fun in PvP, I actually prefer it to PvE