The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Jedi Shadow Bursting Guide

Powerr

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This STILL isn't sticky?

Thanks for all the effort Powerr. I theorycrafted my way to the 2/31/8 build as the best to suit my playstyle/pre-made composition and your guide has really helped optimize my gearing and in-combat decision trees.

no problem glad to have helped

I played infil all the way to rank 60 it can hit hard as hard as it hit pre-1.1

I recently respecced to balance its like a completely new game.

You should make a video with a 31 balance spec. or even a hybrid bal/kin

I find myself not worrying about the lower cooldown on force breach because now 2 clairvoyant strikes is bringing sorcerers to about 65% life lol. The increase in damage is ridiculous, not to mention I have more 5 stacks of it than ever so, pew pew pew one shotting I am:P

and this is the Build

Does 6% more damage on Clairvoyant Strike makes that big of a difference? To me it seemed so little and I decided not to put points in it.

Does 6% more damage on Clairvoyant Strike makes that big of a difference? To me it seemed so little and I decided not to put points in it.

No it's not that big a difference statistically it adds about 80 dmg, but it seems like it adds more

No it's not that big a difference statistically it adds about 80 dmg, but it seems like it adds more

Worth a try I guess. Maybe something in the mechanic of the ability and the interaction with that specific skill makes it much more interesting then it seems at first.

I am currently 9 piece battlemaster and the only spec I have played so far is infiltration.

I have noticed good marauders and dps jugs really put the hurt on me, any tips?

Also what are your opinions on 21/0/18? I haven't seen much information on how this build plays, is infiltration more viable given my gear?

I am currently 9 piece battlemaster and the only spec I have played so far is infiltration.

I have noticed good marauders and dps jugs really put the hurt on me, any tips?

Also what are your opinions on 21/0/18? I haven't seen much information on how this build plays, is infiltration more viable given my gear?

use CDs when their shields are down, properly time vanish

use vanish to sap them then heal urself

I put 2 points in the armor pen instead. Did a lot of testing and number crunching it does more damage and effects all melee, and off the top my head project too..I'll have to find my notes to double check. It stacks with Find Weakness. You basically RIP through light armor like nothing, medium armor feels like light armor, and heavy armor isn't so heavy anymore :).

Let's do a little math

Light armor 3000 (0.06) = 2820

Medium Armor 4200 (0.06) = 3948

Heavy Armor 6200 (0.06) = 5828

Now take into account 50% armor pen from Find weakness, on top of debuffs from other classes that reduce armor.

It makes a generic flat 6% CS increase look like nothing. I'll post a PVP video later of my damage you'll see 5k executes and back stabs. At the time I made this video in full champion gear.

Hey Powerr thank you so much for your informative video. I'm still currently making my way to 60 (57.5). Question I had more than anything what are your Vid settings at?

I have a watercooled GTX580 (No O/C) and I cant tell you how many times I get game lag.. looks like a slide show in Illum. Maybe I just need to reinstall or update the driver.

Suggestions?

-Scoob

I put 2 points in the armor pen instead. Did a lot of testing and number crunching it does more damage and effects all melee, and off the top my head project too..I'll have to find my notes to double check. It stacks with Find Weakness. You basically RIP through light armor like nothing, medium armor feels like light armor, and heavy armor isn't so heavy anymore :).

Let's do a little math

Now take into account 50% armor pen from Find weakness, on top of debuffs from other classes that reduce armor.

It makes a generic flat 6% CS increase look like nothing. I'll post a PVP video later of my damage you'll see 5k executes and back stabs. At the time I made this video in full champion gear.

Can you please link your build?

Theoritically 12s instead of 15s on our biggest hitting ability should provide more DPS then 6% on CS no?

It doesn't really work that way due to how Exit Strategy stacking works.

Without any Exit Strategy buffs, Force Breach is very lackluster. It's getting a 5 stack combined with a lucky crit that makes it hit like a truck. Although, even then I wouldn't call it our biggest hitting ability unless you're attacking a tank.

If you talent the ability to 12s CD, and then use it on cooldown, your Exit Strategy buff will roughly be about 3 stack with each use on average. (It's very rng, so sometimes it's only 2, or 4, etc.)

If you don't talent and have 15s CD, and then use it on cooldown, the buff stack will be roughly 4 with each use on average. (Both of these answers would more accurately be decimel seconds, but rounding to nearest whole number.)

And then there's however long it takes to get to 5, which is normally longer than 15s.

So, you're either doing mediocre Force Breaches more often, or hard hitting ones less often.

Next, you need to consider the opportunity cost of using Force Breach, which is essentially instead going into an x2 Clairvoyant + Project combo. So, take the damage per force of the Force Breach and subtract the damage per force of the combo.

At low Exit Strategy stacks, (FB dpf - x2CS+P combo dpf) = small number …in other words, using FB is only insignificantly better than not using it.

At 5 Exit Strategy stacks, (FB dpf - x2CS+P combo dpf) = big number …in other words, using FB is clearly better than not using it.

So, letting Exit Strategy stacks max out actually makes Force Breach a better ability compared to attempting to use it as often as possible.

Personally, I try to avoid using Force Breach at all until it reaches at least 4 stacks and try to let it reach 5 when reasonable. However, there are exceptions. If I'm out of melee range, but can reach with FB…I might use it regardless of stack size. If I need max burst within a GCD and have no other hard hitting abilities available… In general though, letting it get stacked up is more effective in PvP and that makes the minor CD reduction a low value talent.

Let's do a little math

thanks "pyro" :) miss ya btw buddy

I'll test this when I get a chance, I reckon you're right

Hey Powerr thank you so much for your informative video. I'm still currently making my way to 60 (57.5). Question I had more than anything what are your Vid settings at?

I have a watercooled GTX580 (No O/C) and I cant tell you how many times I get game lag.. looks like a slide show in Illum. Maybe I just need to reinstall or update the driver.

Suggestions?

-Scoob

I have a 570 with an i7 and 16 gigs of ram. No cooling system unfortunately.

I run all "texture" features on high, view distance on high, etc

No bloom or shadows

I am not a techy whatsoever so that's about all the information I could possibly give you

It doesn't really work that way due to how Exit Strategy stacking works.

Without any Exit Strategy buffs, Force Breach is very lackluster. It's getting a 5 stack combined with a lucky crit that makes it hit like a truck. Although, even then I wouldn't call it our biggest hitting ability unless you're attacking a tank.

If you talent the ability to 12s CD, and then use it on cooldown, your Exit Strategy buff will roughly be about 3 stack with each use on average. (It's very rng, so sometimes it's only 2, or 4, etc.)

If you don't talent and have 15s CD, and then use it on cooldown, the buff stack will be roughly 4 with each use on average. (Both of these answers would more accurately be decimel seconds, but rounding to nearest whole number.)

And then there's however long it takes to get to 5, which is normally longer than 15s.

So, you're either doing mediocre Force Breaches more often, or hard hitting ones less often.

Next, you need to consider the opportunity cost of using Force Breach, which is essentially instead going into an x2 Clairvoyant + Project combo. So, take the damage per force of the Force Breach and subtract the damage per force of the combo.

At low Exit Strategy stacks, (FB dpf - x2CS+P combo dpf) = small number …in other words, using FB is only insignificantly better than not using it.

At 5 Exit Strategy stacks, (FB dpf - x2CS+P combo dpf) = big number …in other words, using FB is clearly better than not using it.

So, letting Exit Strategy stacks max out actually makes Force Breach a better ability compared to attempting to use it as often as possible.

Personally, I try to avoid using Force Breach at all until it reaches at least 4 stacks and try to let it reach 5 when reasonable. However, there are exceptions. If I'm out of melee range, but can reach with FB…I might use it regardless of stack size. If I need max burst within a GCD and have no other hard hitting abilities available… In general though, letting it get stacked up is more effective in PvP and that makes the minor CD reduction a low value talent.

great analysis here and this is correct, although this does not rule out my rotation.

Keep to the rotation cs X 2> project> FB

Mixing in shadow strikes helps those charges stack up for ultimate burst

Let's do a little math

These numbers mean nothing unless you know the armor : damage reduction ratio.

I'll use my own toon as an example.

I have 6600 armor which represents a 39.47 (call it 40) percent damage reduction.

6% of 40 is 2.4. That is to say 6% armor pen adds a flat 2.4% damage on 6600 armor.

Now my base health is 18k. To go from 100% to 0 health you need to do 18k damage.

2.4% of 18k is 360 dmg. That's how much damage the Armor Pen has added.

Base CS does approx 1.1k damage.

6% of 1.1k is 66 dmg.

360 dmg / 66 dmg = 5.45 ( call it 6)

So basically you would have to use CS 6 times to equal the damage from Armor Pen.

I like this result. Much better than people arguing over builds that don't include Upheaval for PVP.

Edited by oddmyth