Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Bioware doesn't know their vocabulary?

BOLTgamer

Just look at the JK advanced classes

Sentinel = Gaurd

Gaurdian = Protector, = Gaurd

So they have 2 advanced classes practically named gaurd and gaurdian yet sentinel has no tanking spec whats-o-ever?

Edited by BOLTgamer

Sentinel = Gaurd

So they have 2 advanced classes practically named gaurd and gaurdian yet sentinel has no tanking spec whats-o-ever?

The connotation I get from sentinel is more akin to watchman (emphasis on being a sentry) as opposed to guardian, which cannot be confused as anything other than a guard.

Sentinel = Gaurd

sen·ti·nel   [sen-tn-l] Show IPA noun, verb, -neled, -nel·ing or ( especially British ) -nelled, -nel·ling.

noun

a person or thing that watches or stands as if watching.

a soldier stationed as a guard to challenge all comers and prevent a surprise attack: to stand sentinel.

Also called tag. Computers . a symbol, mark, or other labeling device indicating the beginning or end of a unit of information.

i would say it's 2

They tried to call one of the Consular AC's "Wizard." That didn't go over very well so they changed it to "Sage."

Sages, by the way, have nothing to do with magic or mysticism. It pretty much would have been like creating a Jedi Scholar AC.

Edited by Mannic

Like I said: There are connotations of words at play here. Guardian sounds like guard, the imagine formed in the mind is of a defender standing guard at his post. A sentinel is more of a watchman or sentry, on the front lines and in the fray.

Where in any dictionary or anything online can I find that definition? The fact the Bioware lacks creativity of individual names is dissapointing.

Where in any dictionary or anything online can I find that definition? The fact the Bioware lacks creativity of individual names is dissapointing.

Let me first teach you what "connotation" means:

2. the associated or secondary meaning of a word or expression in addition to its explicit or primary meaning: A possible connotation of “home” is “a place of warmth, comfort, and affection.” Compare

Here's Sentinel, again:

sen·ti·nel

   [sen-tn-l] Show IPA noun, verb, -neled, -nel·ing or ( especially British ) -nelled, -nel·ling.

noun

1. a person or thing that watches or stands as if watching.

Edited by Dezzi

Let me first teach you what "connotation" means:

Here's Sentinel, again:

Let me teach you what Synonym means, or the fact that this is the main meaning of the word.

SYNONYMS: Protector, Keeper, Gaurd, Chaperon

Need more?

And actually connotation means is designating its explit reasoning. Where in the word does it even make an infrence or clue to being out in the front?

Sentinel = Gaurd

WTF is Gaurd ?

Speak English, ffs.

Edited by Descento

Let me teach you what Synonym means, or the fact that this is the main meaning of the word.

Need more?

And actually connotation means is designating its explit reasoning. Where in the word does it even make an infrence or clue to being out in the front?

Are you for serious?

Is he serious?

Need more?

If you look at the history of the words, sentinels are watchers where guards are more like protectors.

If you're not a native english speaker, I can understand the confusion though.

If you look at the history of the words, sentinels are watchers where guards are more like protectors.

If you're not a native english speaker, I can understand the confusion though.

I know, but what does watcher have anything to do at all with the class. I understand Gaurdian, but Sentinel?

Guard, I mean you're pretty unintelligent if you can't relate to a word based on misspelling of one character.

You're the one criticizing BioWare for a word, yet you misspelled "guard" several times in several posts!

Also, from the very link you provided, defining sentinel:

a soldier stationed as a guard to challenge all comers and prevent a surprise attack: to stand sentinel.

Sentinels are the damage, the guardians are the protectors.

You're the one criticizing BioWare for a word, yet you misspelled "guard" several times in several posts!

Also, from the very link you provided, defining sentinel:

Sentinels are the damage, the guardians are the protectors.

I can criticize your grammar to, like the fact you didn't capitalize "Sentinel" when it was the subject.