The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Survivability and dps

kilrbot

was wondering if the trooper has good survivability and be able to still sustain a good flow of dmg i play gunslinger atm and my dps and survivability took nose dive when i hit tatooine Edited by kilrbot

So far I'm liking them. They wear heavy armor, use shield generators, and with Ion Cell gain even more protection.

And many might not see it but their crowd control abilities actually acts as a form of damage mitigation.

so in ur opinion would you say a vanguard has my surviv/dmg combo than commando?

so in ur opinion would you say a vanguard has my surviv/dmg combo than commando?

It really depends because you're not being specific. A commando, spec'd and played correctly can cause absolutely massive damage and if he can kite well, wow, thats a nice character that you will have many hours of fun with.

A Vanguard?

This is just my opinion..

It will be much, much harder to learn to play a Vanguard than a commando. I dont mean leveling to 50, i mean in actual PvP. PvE is probably easier on the Vanguard tbh. You *will* feel like a walking mountain in PvE (or i do..anyways) Commandos do fine in PvE as well, but they are fully ranged players...and instead of having the option to be tanky and survivable, they have the option to heal.

Having said that, and reading your post.. id still choose a Commando. Im a Vanguard and i like him but.. as of right now, with ability delay/lag, melee focused? With these delays and lag? And also, several skills just plain dont match up when compared to our mirror, as well given the current (soon to be major) problem with shielding and absorption mechanics in PvP.. i would choose Commando.

Good Luck and have fun!!! :)

It really depends because you're not being specific. A commando, spec'd and played correctly can cause absolutely massive damage and if he can kite well, wow, thats a nice character that you will have many hours of fun with.

A Vanguard?

This is just my opinion..

It will be much, much harder to learn to play a Vanguard than a commando. I dont mean leveling to 50, i mean in actual PvP. PvE is probably easier on the Vanguard tbh. You *will* feel like a walking mountain in PvE (or i do..anyways) Commandos do fine in PvE as well, but they are fully ranged players...and instead of having the option to be tanky and survivable, they have the option to heal.

Having said that, and reading your post.. id still choose a Commando. Im a Vanguard and i like him but.. as of right now, with ability delay/lag, melee focused? With these delays and lag? And also, several skills just plain dont match up when compared to our mirror, as well given the current (soon to be major) problem with shielding and absorption mechanics in PvP.. i would choose Commando.

Good Luck and have fun!!! :)

wow thx for all the feedback...having looked around myself also i think ur right about going the way of the commando thx again for the help

Let me say this in defense of my beloved vanguard. This is my first mmo. I suck at pvp. Since rolling vanguard, I have topped the medals column and received MVP votes in warzones. So being a noob, I don't have a ton of experience to go on. All I can say is vanguard feels right.

Shield spec is what i rolled and wont go any other. Defense wise, it does well. DPS it does well. Its not outstanding. By no means are you on par with DPS class and full DPS gear. But i run a mix of gear. It does really good in PVP since i can take a beating and dish one out too. Here's my gear stats to give an idea.

my gear stats (mostly champion with some centurion and lvl 50 blues and purple)

38% shield proc

30%absorb

48% damage reduction

8% defense chance

~650 - 760 weapon damage

310 bonus damage

20% crit rate

66% crit multiplyer

Remember i am a shield spec so most of my talents are defensive. DPS specs will do more damage with these stats since they have more talents to boost damage. But as you can see nothing looks low.

was wondering if the trooper has good survivability and be able to still sustain a good flow of dmg i play gunslinger atm and my dps and survivability took nose dive when i hit tatooine

Yeah. I'm 25 on tat and even as a heal spec I can one shot a group of normal mobs with mortar volley. Against elites it's really slow since tank companions are broken and aside from having agro management don't really tank better than me. That means I have to heal spam like a madman when I do elites and don't really have much time to help with DPS. I don't think I've died in solo PvE since before I got my advanced class though.