Bobba fett vs Jango fett

CloudOfBr

*facepalm* If you are going by what Lucas Said, then technically the EU doesn't exist at all (he says that's a different world, remember?), what he said, and what happened in his work, are different. GL says he's dead, that applies to his world, but not to overall canon. The script says, "last flight", but that applies to the movie continuity. And we see him fall into the sarlacc during the films, but we do NOT see him die. (The sarlacc keeps its victims alive for thousands of years as they are slowly, painfully digested.)

As for the book where he escaped, that would be Tales from Jabba's Palace.

Tbh though looking at a Sarlacc's body and their anatomy, it should have been impossible for Boba to actually find his way out, nevermind getting out of it.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read up and understand the different levels of Canon and then come back.

Okidoki.

This i assume Is the Canon chart you're going with:

G-canon is George Lucas Canon.

T-canon, or Television Canon.

C-canon is Continuity Canon.

S-canon is Secondary Canon.

N is Non-Canon.

Now, you're arguing that because George Lucas has stated that Boba Fett is "dead", that should be considered G-canon, regardless of the amount of EU post ROTJ wherein Fett survived.

Before we move on, please read, and think about these George Lucas quotes:

It's from 1994. Here he admits to the idea of being other stories to be told in his universe, but by other people.

"After Star Wars was released, it became apparent that my story—however many films it took to tell—was only one of thousands that could be told about the characters who inhabit its galaxy. But these were not stories I was destined to tell..."

From 2001:

"There's my world, which is the movies, and there's this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe—the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don't intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, [but] they do intrude in between the movies. I don't get too involved in the parallel universe."

He states that he doesn't really get involved with the "parallel" universe, the EU, but also states that they don't intrude on his "world", the movies.

Now, the EU that claims Boba Fett survived does not intrude on the movies. It might intrude with statements made by Lucas, but what we seen in the movie does not warrant instant death, and as such Boba surviving the ordeal post movie does not intrude on Lucas's world.

Moments before the characters were supposed to be executed C-3PO made this statement regarding the Sarlaac: "In its belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly digested over a…thousand years."

How would any victim of the Sarlaac be able to, find a new definition of pain, and suffering, if they died the second they hit the Sarlaac?

So, nothing we see, or is told in the movies claim that anyone would die from the actual act of getting swallowed. This means Boba was very alive when he entered it.

That's where movie end, and EU begins. Seeing as nothing stated in the movie claims that Sarlaac swallowing = Insta-Death It's fairly reasonable to deduce that Boba was alive post ROTJ.

He falls in with Jet Pack, and several gadgets still attached to him, giving him the means of escape.

A quote from the Star Wars wiki you posted for us:

"The deleted scenes included on the DVDs are also considered G-canon (when they're not in conflict with the movie)."

While Lucas may not have shot the actual scene of Boba escaping the Sarlaac, he had the idea still. So, Boba surviving does Not conflict with anything shown In the movie.

Now, we've seen that Lucas considers the movies, and EU to be separate. That does not mean Everyone else has to see it the same way.

No where in the G-Canon description does it explicitly state that "whatever George thinks, or says is considered G-Canon".

While the novels, and comics depicting Fett's survival might not reach G-canon, they do Not conflict with established G-canon.

Chris Seraci, a former LucasBooks editor, stated: "The analogy is that every piece of published Star Wars fiction is a window into the 'real' Star Wars universe. Some windows are a bit foggier than others. Some are decidedly abstract. But each contains a nugget of truth to them. Like the great Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi said, 'many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view.' "

Each window contains a nugget of truth to them. Boba Fett's death does not conflict with established G-Canon, I.E. the movies, and so the stories depicting his survival, while not completely G-canon still remains, a little nugget of truth.

You can go about believing what George Lucas thinks, must be what you must think. But not everyone has to, because we have a different point of view. Our point of says he survived because no where in the movies, in fact no where outside George Lucas's head does It confirm he died inside that Sarlaac.

I think the whole "did Boba die in the Sarlacc or not?" argument has kinda caused us to lose sight of the REAL purpose of this Thread.

On the main topic, I think it would be a tie. Boba had much of the same training as his dad, and even managed to hold his own against Darth Vader. That, at the very least, proves he's on the same level as Jango.

Edited by rashencyberspeed

Okidoki.

This i assume Is the Canon chart you're going with:

G-canon is George Lucas Canon.

T-canon, or Television Canon.

C-canon is Continuity Canon.

S-canon is Secondary Canon.

N is Non-Canon.

Now, you're arguing that because George Lucas has stated that Boba Fett is "dead", that should be considered G-canon, regardless of the amount of EU post ROTJ wherein Fett survived.

Before we move on, please read, and think about these George Lucas quotes:

It's from 1994. Here he admits to the idea of being other stories to be told in his universe, but by other people.

"After Star Wars was released, it became apparent that my story—however many films it took to tell—was only one of thousands that could be told about the characters who inhabit its galaxy. But these were not stories I was destined to tell..."

From 2001:

"There's my world, which is the movies, and there's this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe—the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don't intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, [but] they do intrude in between the movies. I don't get too involved in the parallel universe."

He states that he doesn't really get involved with the "parallel" universe, the EU, but also states that they don't intrude on his "world", the movies.

Now, the EU that claims Boba Fett survived does not intrude on the movies. It might intrude with statements made by Lucas, but what we seen in the movie does not warrant instant death, and as such Boba surviving the ordeal post movie does not intrude on Lucas's world.

Moments before the characters were supposed to be executed C-3PO made this statement regarding the Sarlaac: "In its belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly digested over a…thousand years."

How would any victim of the Sarlaac be able to, find a new definition of pain, and suffering, if they died the second they hit the Sarlaac?

So, nothing we see, or is told in the movies claim that anyone would die from the actual act of getting swallowed. This means Boba was very alive when he entered it.

That's where movie end, and EU begins. Seeing as nothing stated in the movie claims that Sarlaac swallowing = Insta-Death It's fairly reasonable to deduce that Boba was alive post ROTJ.

He falls in with Jet Pack, and several gadgets still attached to him, giving him the means of escape.

A quote from the Star Wars wiki you posted for us:

"The deleted scenes included on the DVDs are also considered G-canon (when they're not in conflict with the movie)."

While Lucas may not have shot the actual scene of Boba escaping the Sarlaac, he had the idea still. So, Boba surviving does Not conflict with anything shown In the movie.

Now, we've seen that Lucas considers the movies, and EU to be separate. That does not mean Everyone else has to see it the same way.

No where in the G-Canon description does it explicitly state that "whatever George thinks, or says is considered G-Canon".

While the novels, and comics depicting Fett's survival might not reach G-canon, they do Not conflict with established G-canon.

Chris Seraci, a former LucasBooks editor, stated: "The analogy is that every piece of published Star Wars fiction is a window into the 'real' Star Wars universe. Some windows are a bit foggier than others. Some are decidedly abstract. But each contains a nugget of truth to them. Like the great Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi said, 'many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view.' "

Each window contains a nugget of truth to them. Boba Fett's death does not conflict with established G-Canon, I.E. the movies, and so the stories depicting his survival, while not completely G-canon still remains, a little nugget of truth.

You can go about believing what George Lucas thinks, must be what you must think. But not everyone has to, because we have a different point of view. Our point of says he survived because no where in the movies, in fact no where outside George Lucas's head does It confirm he died inside that Sarlaac.

OK couple things

1. I am arguing that boba Fett is dead because

a. The Script says he dies

b. he very cleary dies in the movie.

c. George Lucas stated that he dies in that scene.

2. Boba Fett's survival came from a book called "Tales of the Bounty Hunters" which was a collection of short stories that came out in 1995 or 1996 I beleive. BEFORE the canon system really started. Hence the reason the story even exists and WELL before the first Special Editions.

So first thing is to keep in mind that the story of Boba Fetts escape came out back around 1996 BEFORE this.

You refer to the Deleted scenes and yes George Talked about filming his escape and here is the quote

""In the case of Boba Fett's death, had I known he was gonna turn into such a popular character, I probably would've made it a little bit more exciting. Boba Fett was just another one of the minions, another one of the bounty hunters and badguys. But, he became such a favorite of everybody's that, for having such a small part, uh he had a very large presence. And now that his history has been told in the first trilogy, y'know, it makes it even more of a misstep that we wouldn't make more out of the event of his defeat, because most people don't believe he died anyway. I'd contemplated putting in that extra shot in where he climbs out of the hole, but y'know I figure that's . . . it doesn't quite fit, in the end."

Source: Return of the Jedi DVD Commentary, 33:01, 9/04

So there is another quote form George Lucas saying that Boba Fett is dead, adding a scene where he lived wouldn't fit and it was AFTER "Tales of the Bounty Fighter"

Now Leeland Chee said this about the Canon

Lucas' statements in Starlog were commented on in a December 7, 2005 post on the starwars.com forums by Leland Chee, who maintains Lucas Licensing's continuity database:

CHEE: "GL is certainly not bound by the EU, though he's certainly open to using things created in it (Aayla Secura and the Coruscant name, for example). On the other hand, the quote you provide makes it sound like the EU is separate from George's vision of the Star Wars universe. It is not. The EU must follow certain tenets set by George through the films and other guidelines that he provides outside of the films."

So we see that the EU must follow certain guidlines from the films and what George says to be canon.

Now another hot topic that is related is what happens AFTER RotJ.

I turn to this quote by Lucas in a 2008 article in Total film

LUCAS: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."

So there you see only a few years ago Lucas said that Everything after RotJ is NOT CANON.

So once again we have George Lucas saying boba Fett is dead, The movies show his death, the script says he is dead and George Lucas saying that everything after ROTJ is non canon.

I think the problem you are having is telling the difference between Continuity and Canon.

Something can be in the Continuity where it doesn't conflict with the time line such as Luke going to Nar Shada in the middle of A New Hope would not be in Continuity

Where Canon is if it's part of the Official Story. For something to be Canon it must also work with the continuity. However something can work with the timeline but not be official or canon.

Edited by jarjarloves

Out of curiosity, do those of you who believe Boba Fett survived the Sarlacc also believe Han's story about making the Kessel Run "in less than 12 parsecs"?

actually he did make the kessel run in less than 12 parsecs. and yes i am aware that it is a unit of distance, not time.

From wookiepedia

" Solo was not referring directly to his ship's speed when he made this claim. Instead, he was referring to the shorter route he was able to travel by skirting the nearby Maw black hole cluster, thus making the run in under the standard distance. By moving closer to the black holes, Solo managed to cut the distance down to about 11.5 parsecs"

The usual distance of the Kessel run was closer to 18 parsecs

actually he did make the kessel run in less than 12 parsecs. and yes i am aware that it is a unit of distance, not time.

From wookiepedia

" Solo was not referring directly to his ship's speed when he made this claim. Instead, he was referring to the shorter route he was able to travel by skirting the nearby Maw black hole cluster, thus making the run in under the standard distance. By moving closer to the black holes, Solo managed to cut the distance down to about 11.5 parsecs"

The usual distance of the Kessel run was closer to 18 parsecs

My point with this is that G-Canon clearly disagrees with what you said. The script for the movie says,

"HAN: It's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than twelve

parsecs!

Ben reacts to Solo's stupid attempt to impress them with

obvious misinformation."

Additionally, in the final version of the script, the parentheses attached to Han's line state that he is "obviously lying."

Back before the effort to establish and enforce canon, an EU author (A.C. Crispin in 'the Han Solo Trilogy') made up the story you refer to. By the current standard, it is clearly non-canon as it directly contradicts the movie, script and novelization.

This circumstances are the same with this Boba Fett issue.

Edited by Keja

My point with this is that G-Canon clearly disagrees with what you said. The script for the movie says,

"HAN: It's the ship that made the Kessel run in less than twelve

parsecs!

Ben reacts to Solo's stupid attempt to impress them with

obvious misinformation."

Additionally, in the final version of the script, the parentheses attached to Han's line state that he is "obviously lying."

Back before the effort to establish and enforce canon, an EU author (A.C. Crispin in 'the Han Solo Trilogy') made up the story you refer to. By the current standard, it is clearly non-canon as it directly contradicts the movie, script and novelization.

This circumstances are the same with this Boba Fett issue.

Not entirely true. GL contadicts himself in the new DVD specal features where he

mentions that the parsecs are due to the Millennium Falcon's advanced navigational computer rather than its engines, so the navicomputer would calculate much faster routes than other ships could.

What i see is a few people who so desprately hate the charater of Boba Fett that they have deluded themselves into thinking that everything about him is noncannon..

I hated when the Emperor cloned himself, that dosnt make it noncannon, i hated that Traviss killed off Mara, that dosnt make it noncannon. Hey you know what! i bet i could find a obscure lucas quote that indicates that everthing exept the movies inst cannon...ohwait...

If it wasnt cannon, the dude lucas pays to tell people what is cannon and what is not cannon would say somthing. He hasnt yet. this leads me to beleve one of two things.

1. That Boba Fetts escape, The cone emperor, Luke getting married.. ect is all cannon

2. That its all noncannon because Gl has said "there is no story after ROTJ" and therefore there is no need to say anything.

What i see is a few people who so desprately hate the charater of Boba Fett that they have deluded themselves into thinking that everything about him is noncannon..

I hated when the Emperor cloned himself, that dosnt make it noncannon, i hated that Traviss killed off Mara, that dosnt make it noncannon. Hey you know what! i bet i could find a obscure lucas quote that indicates that everthing exept the movies inst cannon...ohwait...

If it wasnt cannon, the dude lucas pays to tell people what is cannon and what is not cannon would say somthing. He hasnt yet. this leads me to beleve one of two things.

1. That Boba Fetts escape, The cone emperor, Luke getting married.. ect is all cannon

2. That its all noncannon because Gl has said "there is no story after ROTJ" and therefore there is no need to say anything.

again no not at all. I love Boba the only reason I know about Tales from The Bounty Hunters is because it's the first EU book I ever bought. I do think Jango fett is overall cooler as the Obi Wan Jango fight is one of the best fights out of both trilogys

However he is clearly dead.

What makes the Emperor cloning himself is George Lucas saying that is not canon

LUCAS: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."

That's from 2008

Like I said earlier there is a difference between Canon and Continuity and this is stated in interviews with Leeland Chee

All the EU stuff that happens after ROTJ is all part of the continuity but not part of the Canon.

again no not at all. I love Boba the only reason I know about Tales from The Bounty Hunters is because it's the first EU book I ever bought. I do think Jango fett is overall cooler as the Obi Wan Jango fight is one of the best fights out of both trilogys

That's from 2008

Like I said earlier there is a difference between Canon and Continuity and this is stated in interviews with Leeland Chee

All the EU stuff that happens after ROTJ is all part of the continuity but not part of the Canon.

Well thats fine. I guess the main point of what ive been trying to say is that its either ALL cannon or ALL noncannon, that this issue dosnt really have a grey area and that you cant really pick and choose the parts you want to true.

Well thats fine. I guess the main point of what ive been trying to say is that its either ALL cannon or ALL noncannon, that this issue dosnt really have a grey area and that you cant really pick and choose the parts you want to true.

this is nothing you should see the discussions about the different parts of the EU that contradict each other and which one is the real version.

It also doesn't help that Leeland Chee is picking and choosing himself.

he is quoted as saying if you see it in the movie it's g canon but any information not given in the movie is c-canon.

So the fruit in Attack of the Clones that anakin eats is G-canon but it's name is actually C-canon.

it's enough to make you want to claw your eyes out

Edited by jarjarloves

Seems like i've started quite a debate. I can see the reason in the arguments both ways for Boba dying and surviving, it just comes down to do you takes Lucas' word first or the canon first. And Jango's death wasn't all bad, he died to arguably the most powerful jedi of the time. Boba's death was just dumb, I think he should've held his own with luke and died a respectable death at the hands of maybe the most powerful jedi ever. Edited by CloudOfBr

Seems like i've started quite a debate. I can see the reason in the arguments both ways for Boba dying and surviving, it just comes down to do you takes Lucas' word first or the canon first. And Jango's death wasn't all bad, he died to arguably the most powerful jedi of the time. Boba's death was just dumb, I think he should've held his own with luke and died a respectable death at the hands of maybe the most powerful jedi ever.

Fans would be pissed either way though.

That's from 2008

Again, people take the above quote too literally. Not to mention it's taken completely out of context.

Here's part of where that quote comes from..

"I get asked all the time, 'What happens after "Return of the Jedi"?,' and there really is no answer for that," he said. "The movies were the story of Anakin Skywalker and Luke Skywalker, and when Luke saves the galaxy and redeems his father, that's where that story ends."

Here's more from Lucas

""Whatever it is that happens afterward," the 63-year-old filmmaker said, "that isn't the core 'Star Wars' story that I like to tell." Referring to after Return of the Jedi.

He's not really claiming that everything after ROTJ is false. What he's saying is that it isn't his story and he doesn't care to tell it. There will be no episode 7 especially not episode 7 based on EU work.

"There really isn't any story to tell there," the filmmaker said. "It's been covered in the books and video games and comic books, which are things I think are incredibly creative but that I don't really have anything to do with other than being the person who built the sandbox they're playing in."

Again, the story is about Anakin. These quotes also came from 2008.

Source..

"Geoff Boucher, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer"

Again, people take the above quote too literally. Not to mention it's taken completely out of context.

Here's part of where that quote comes from..

"I get asked all the time, 'What happens after "Return of the Jedi"?,' and there really is no answer for that," he said. "The movies were the story of Anakin Skywalker and Luke Skywalker, and when Luke saves the galaxy and redeems his father, that's where that story ends."

Here's more from Lucas

""Whatever it is that happens afterward," the 63-year-old filmmaker said, "that isn't the core 'Star Wars' story that I like to tell." Referring to after Return of the Jedi.

He's not really claiming that everything after ROTJ is false. What he's saying is that it isn't his story and he doesn't care to tell it. There will be no episode 7 especially not episode 7 based on EU work.

"There really isn't any story to tell there," the filmmaker said. "It's been covered in the books and video games and comic books, which are things I think are incredibly creative but that I don't really have anything to do with other than being the person who built the sandbox they're playing in."

Again, the story is about Anakin. These quotes also came from 2008.

Source..

"Geoff Boucher, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer"

no you are wrong they are two different quotes from two different interviews.

Your source is from the LA times the one I showed is from Total Film Magazine

It is not taken out of context it's a DIFFERENT interview. He IS literally saying that the emperor being cloned and everything after ROTJ is NOT CANON.

It is in the continuity but it is not canon. Learn the difference.

Add in other quotes like this one from Star Wars insider magazine

"'Gospel,' or canon as we refer to it, includes the screenplays, the films, the radio dramas and the novelizations. These works spin out of George Lucas' original stories, the rest are written by other writers. However, between us, we've read everything, and much of it is taken into account in the overall continuity. The entire catalog of published works comprises a vast history—with many off-shoots, variations and tangents—like any other well-developed mythology."

please learn the difference between canon and continuity.

Edited by jarjarloves

It woulnt have killed him directly. in woulve knocked him forward off the cliff and into the lava river.

I really liked that battle as it dosnt exaderate either charaters power. Vader is ligitimately stronger but through his underestimation of Fett and Fetts intellegence finds himself in a position where he is at the bounty hunters mercy "your overconfidence is your weakness" as it were. Clearly if Vader were to fight Fett again he would take Fett as a ligitimate threat and the outcome would be much different.

I remember reading it. Boba, actually, lost the fight.. Vader grew tired and stopped holding back. Read it again :p he respected Fett because he actually lasted a minute, but quite literally all he had to do was raise his hand and utilize the force.. Boba lost.

Vader only initially underestimated Fett. Fett managed to score a single blaster shot on the forehead of Vader's helmet, literally doing no damage. That's pretty much when Vader decided to end it (and with relative ease..).

It pretty much shows you have little to no advantage against a skilled Jedi/Sith/Sensitive unless you plan ahead and thoroughly examine them. Even then, you're likely to lose... Against Jedi or Sith rabble? Yeah, you have a fight on your hands. But against a seasoned one? Not much chance. Jango Fett barely escaped his encounter with Kenobi with help from his clone son, Boba. He utilized the majority of his primary armaments to try and kill Kenobi, even with the auto-cannons from the Slave-1.

There's no natural defense against the Force and its Techniques (save for the mind-based abilities) for a non-sensitive like Boba or Jango.

Edited by Oonkeh_

no you are wrong they are two different quotes from to different interviews.

It is not taken out of context it's a DIFFERENT interview. He IS literally saying that the emperor being cloned and everything after ROTJ is NOT CANON.

"'Gospel,' or canon as we refer to it, includes the screenplays, the films, the radio dramas and the novelizations. These works spin out of George Lucas' original stories, the rest are written by other writers. However, between us, we've read everything, and much of it is taken into account in the overall continuity. The entire catalog of published works comprises a vast history—with many off-shoots, variations and tangents—like any other well-developed mythology."

Y'know, it's not just the post-ROTJ stuff that Lucas considrs non-canon. He considers EVERYTHING outside the movies non-canon. Here's an example: Anakin's scar.

He got it in one of the Star Wars books. But Lucas... Well, let's look at this bit from the article.

"So how did Anakin get that scar, George?" asks John Knoll.

"I don't know. Ask Howard," says George, referring to President of Lucas Licensing Howard Roffman. "That's one of those things that happens in the novels between the movies. I just put it there. He has to explain how it got there. I think Anakin got it slipping in the bathtub, but of course, he's not going to tell anybody that."

no you are wrong they are two different quotes from two different interviews.

According to Lucas there's two universes. So there's two sets of Canon. Movie Canon and the movie Continuity which the clone wars cartoon series falls under. Then there's the EU continuity/Canon.

According to Lucas there's two universes. So there's two sets of Canon. Movie Canon and the movie Continuity which the clone wars cartoon series falls under. Then there's the EU continuity/Canon.

facepalm.

Ok even by going with that everything in the EU has to conform to the movies.

We have already estabislhed that according to George Lucas, the script and the movie Boba fett dies in the movies.

edit: it's weird that star wars even gets discussions like this. You don't see this in any other IP. Just look at comics no one ever argues that what happens in the Iron Man movies is official canon or not. It just goes to show how dedicated Star Wars fans are.

Edited by jarjarloves

facepalm.

Ok even by going with that everything in the EU has to conform to the movies.

We have already estabislhed that according to George Lucas, the script and the movie Boba fett dies in the movies.

edit: it's weird that star wars even gets discussions like this. You don't see this in any other IP. Just look at comics no one ever argues that what happens in the Iron Man movies is official canon or not. It just goes to show how dedicated Star Wars fans are.

I wasn't pointing that out regarding Boba Fett. Just throwing it out there because you said the EU isn't Canon. EU has it's own continuity and Canon. Lucas even likens it to a parallel universe but does acknowledge it.

Also comics do get debated pretty heavily due to the fact that the comics were first before the movies. So everyone knows the comics are the official source. The movies nearly always contradict what's already written and the comics never incorporate what's going on in the movies.