Is mercenary better then powertech?

oldshatterhand

I just hit level 10 with my BH (first SWTOR char, got the game this morning) and I really can't decide which path to take. I watched a lot of gameplay videos before getting the game and mercenary seems awesome in PVE, almost 1shotting large groups of enemies. Before SWTOR I played WoW for a while, my main there was a hunter and the mercenary seems to resemble the hunter from WoW.

On the other hand, reading through these forums I see people saying mercenary is very weak in PVP and I should go for powertech. Is this true?

Also, which one is easier to PVP with? I've never been too skilled in PVP and while the mercenary seems to be very easy to play in PVE, no idea how it is in PVP.

And last but not least, how hard is it to tank flashpoints with PT? I've never played a tank before, and since I heard finding a group for DPS is very hard (since there is no LFG tool in TOR) I guess I'll have to tank.

Thanks for the help.

I just hit level 10 with my BH (first SWTOR char, got the game this morning) and I really can't decide which path to take. I watched a lot of gameplay videos before getting the game and mercenary seems awesome in PVE, almost 1shotting large groups of enemies. Before SWTOR I played WoW for a while, my main there was a hunter and the mercenary seems to resemble the hunter from WoW.

On the other hand, reading through these forums I see people saying mercenary is very weak in PVP and I should go for powertech. Is this true?

Also, which one is easier to PVP with? I've never been too skilled in PVP and while the mercenary seems to be very easy to play in PVE, no idea how it is in PVP.

And last but not least, how hard is it to tank flashpoints with PT? I've never played a tank before, and since I heard finding a group for DPS is very hard (since there is no LFG tool in TOR) I guess I'll have to tank.

Thanks for the help.

Mercenary is touted as the "no skill tracer missile spam" class in PvP, so take that for what you will.

As for what's better, I wouldn't fall in to that trap. As far as I can tell, both Mercenary and Powertech are viable in PvP and PvE for their respective roles as well as DPS. If that's not the case, expect BioWare to be on top of it, and if you leveled an AC thinking it was "overpowered" you'll be left with a bitter taste in your mouth.

They are very different AC's and theoretically you should be able to choose based on what playstyle you prefer.

Mercenaries are ranged, relatively immobile, glass cannon DPS or Heals.

Powertechs are melee/short range, mobile, tank or dps.

If you want a playstyle similar to your Hunter, go with Mercenary. If you want something different, go with Powertech. Pretty simple really.

No skill in rolling a tank in PvP for any game in MMO genre. Its traditionally used by novices who need dmg reduction because they cant think on there feet when they pvp. So they role tanks because its more forgiving when you make mistakes. Although for objective pvp its nice to have a tank on your team. But other then debuffs, guarding and small amount of damage they don't do much. Edited by Furyofwar

No skill in rolling a tank in PvP for any game in MMO genre. Its traditionally used by baddies who need dmg reduction because they cant think on there feet when they pvp. So they role tanks because its more forgiving when you make mistakes. Although for objective pvp its nice to have a tank on your team. But other then debuffs, guarding and small amount of damage they don't do much.

Yeah you know alot dont you honestly saying it takes no skill in rolling a tank in pvp for any game in MMO genre is a load of !%^* Honestly. And saying powertechs dont do much? My ars they dont do much. I have a mercenary and a powertech and they are both fun. if i were you i would probably be saying mercenary's stand still and spam and die in one hit, but im not. They are both good classes OP if you want to be a healer aswell as a DPS go Merc. If you want good survivability and prefer a bit of melee added in aswell go for the PT. And by the way OP posting this in the Mercenary section will probably be a bit bias towards the Merc. PT = Survivability, DPS, Protection. Merc= DPS, Healer. Your choice and good luck to what ever decision you make im sure you will enjoy it :)

Edited by Zuesy

I think its fairly subjected to the cause in what is best in your playstyle. You play best on how you think you play best and how you master your class which is paramount in being a successful player.

That being said, each advanced class has their weaknesses and strengths and it is up to you to know them by experience and overcome them and work around them to the best of your ability.

Everyone plays differently so don't let them tell you any different than how you want to play.

Sent by my Evo 4G

Powertech is best. I Advise you dont roll *TANK SPEC*. I Saw a guy say powertechs are a no brainer basicly because there tanks, thats like saying mercenary is a no brainer becaus ethere healers...... But there not healers... there dps. Same as powertech, it has 2 dps tree and one tank tree which is shield tech.

Hybrid powertech pyro is definetly the best when you hit 30, till then its proberly adv prototype.

Mercenary just dosnt cut it for pvp, but roll if u really want