Tatooine - Throw Away World?

DarkestDaemon

I don't mean completely, mind you, but it feels like in the essence of the class quests that Tatooine was either put in as a destination for them as an after thought. Or it was changed to being a planet that came before Alderaan instead of after it.

I can't speak for any of the other classes, but for both Sith Warrior and Smuggler the little bit of story on the loading screen mentions Alderaan, and nothing about Tatooine.

Funny that you say that.

As a BH I did all quests I could find up until Tatooine. When I finally got to Tat, my level was higher than the max level for the planet so I just did my class quest and skipped the rest. I was on Tatooine for about 40 minutes total and I feel I made a good choice.

Tatooine has actually been fairly enjoyable so far on my Jedi Consular, mainly because there's a great side story quest as well as the main quest for my character. It also brings back a lot of memories from KOTOR for me which is fun.

I came into this thread thinking "what? Tatooine was certainally a full enjoyable planet"

But yea, your logic does make sense. They completely forgot the loading screen for some reason it seems...

Its not the first time I've seen it get ahead of itself, but this was a full planet it skipped over.

I am on Alderaan now and I found Tat to be BY FAR my favorite planet to date. I love the nastalgic feel with sarlaac pits, sandpeople, jawas, sandcrawlers, dusty cantinas and so on. The Dune Sea was well done in the fact its a giant freaking desert. I enjoyed the classic music there too. I think ur crazy OP =P

I am on Alderaan now and I found Tat to be BY FAR my favorite planet to date. I love the nastalgic feel with sarlaac pits, sandpeople, jawas, sandcrawlers, dusty cantinas and so on. The Dune Sea was well done in the fact its a giant freaking desert. I enjoyed the classic music there too. I think ur crazy OP =P

I think you need to reread what I said.

I didn't say 'OMG IT SUCKS!'

I said it felt like a throwaway world as far as class quests go. It seems that it is completely skipped over on the story loading screen in favor of Alderaan. It just lends itself to the idea that Tatooine was put into the class storyline as either an afterthought, or that it was swapped to being a lower level planet and the one before Alderaan.

This is disheartening. Tattooine has such a part in the movies, that i was really looking forward to getting there and experiencing things like Mos Eisley and the sarlaac pit.

That they halfassed it, makes me have frownie face :(

They didn't halfass it by a long shot.

Everything I said was in context to the class questline. That it feels like it wasn't intended to be apart of the class questline or that it was to come after Alderaan.

I do have a personal hatred for the planet, but it's not poorly done.

Funny that you say that.

As a BH I did all quests I could find up until Tatooine. When I finally got to Tat, my level was higher than the max level for the planet so I just did my class quest and skipped the rest. I was on Tatooine for about 40 minutes total and I feel I made a good choice.

Ord Mantell has that feel for me and my main is a Jedi Knight. I mean Ord Mantell is lvls 1-10 I am lvl 16 I think I might just do my story missions and skip the rest unless you end up picking up another companion then maybe I will consider staying planetside longer but other than that I will have to spend some time on planet before I really decide anything.

This is disheartening. Tattooine has such a part in the movies, that i was really looking forward to getting there and experiencing things like Mos Eisley and the sarlaac pit.

That they halfassed it, makes me have frownie face :(

I think they did a reasonable job with it. Firstly, I'm certain that the sarlacc pit is on Tatooine in SWTOR. Secondly, you must remember that SWTOR is 3000 years prior to the movies - Mos Eisley probably won't exist for centuries.

Personally, I'm more excited about other planets like Nar Shadda, Hoth and Illum.

In any case, Tatooine does feel like a small stepping-stone during levelling. However, we may well see more content there at a later date.

Tattooine is just fine. It's very representative of the Tattooine from the movies (and for a outer rim backwater, the movies do sure spend a lot of time there).

As for the missing loading screen thing, I suspect it's a bug caused by the fact that once you finish Nar Shaddaa, you get the Tattooine and Alderaan class quests at the same time. Speaking of which, if you're like some of the people in this thread and powered through Alderaan first before doing Tattooine, then yeah, of course Tattooine's going to suck, because it's a lower level planet. You're supposed to do Tattooine first, despite what a loading screen might tell you (because of the aforementioned bug).

Ord Mantell has that feel for me and my main is a Jedi Knight. I mean Ord Mantell is lvls 1-10 I am lvl 16 I think I might just do my story missions and skip the rest unless you end up picking up another companion then maybe I will consider staying planetside longer but other than that I will have to spend some time on planet before I really decide anything.

You wont be able to skip getting a companion. They are given to you during your class quest, so as long as you stay current on the class quest you will be good to go.

I thought Tatooine was possibly the best planet so far (I've just finished Alderaan), and a big part of it was the Czerka side quest line which was awesome. Most planets have a cool class quest line and the rest of the side quest are standard fare, but Tatooine went one beyond by having a really cool side quest line in addition to the class quest line.

It's true that the loading screen text is missing but that may just be a bug for all we know. Everything else is certainly as much of a planet as any other, and IMO moreso because of the Czerka quest.

Unless something's changed, you literally only have ONE blip in your class quest on Ord Mantell. You go there, go to a little fort, fight a few people your level, and leave. That's it.

I think this thread was labeled wrong. From what I am understanding your only issue with Tatooine is that it didn't show up on the loading screen for you. While I do recall a few instances while I was on Tat and it said I was headed for Alderaan I do remember my loading screen saying I was on Tatooine and stating the correct step on my story quest the majority of the time.

I play a trooper and this is most certainly not a throw away planet for us because one of the traitors Havoc Squad is hunting is located on the planet. I agree with most people when I say that I loved the planet and I loved the old music and nostalgia feeling. :)

The loading screen issues and the putative "choice" you're offered to go to two different planets are both legacies of an earlier Beta build, where you really did have choices. At one point, both planets offered to you had quests progressing through the same levels.

That's no longer the case, but no one ever thought to go back and change things to make it clearer, and the loading screens immediately advance to whichever planet is higher level.

The loading screen issues and the putative "choice" you're offered to go to two different planets are both legacies of an earlier Beta build, where you really did have choices. At one point, both planets offered to you had quests progressing through the same levels.

That's no longer the case, but no one ever thought to go back and change things to make it clearer, and the loading screens immediately advance to whichever planet is higher level.

This. The same thing was true with Taris/Nar Shadaa. Taris never shows up in the text crawl on the loading screens. That doesn't mean that it or Tatooine were afterthoughts in the design.

The Jedi Knight class quest on Tatooine didn't feel tacked on. I'm not gonna lie, I'm getting a little weary of the "find, investigate, and destroy the planet-obliterating superweapon of the week" formula, but this one also tied into my and my companions' bigger story, so that made it worthwhile.

As for the loading screen if happens for the Sith Warrior when going to Balmorra before Nar Shadarra as well. As for Tantooine, I love it. It's a great planet in it's self and has some really cool quests.

Heck I even wrote about a quest on Tantooine because it was so good.

You're not supposed to do ord mantel other than just your class quests. It's the smuggler/trooper starting planet. Basically Tython for non-force classes. Also, you only get companions from story quests.

As for Tantooine, I love it. It's a great planet in it's self and has some really cool quests.

Heck I even wrote about a quest on Tantooine

Tatooine only has one N. You might be confusing it with Dantooine.

Edited by Game_Hermit

******* Sith warrior spoiler below ********

That's not really true, it is mentioned several times through the sith warrior class quest that Tatooine is a place of mystique and the force dwells strongly there. It's why many Jedi came to do the ritual.

My buddy and I just started Tatooine and we both agreed that it felt like a breath of fresh air after the concrete canyons of Nar Shadaa (which IMO was too similar to Coruscant.. And was Shadow Town meant to look like a high security prison when you could just walk straight in?!).

The novelty of our new speeders, the whole look and feel of the blinding, desolate desert and the run-down settlements is great. The Czerka quest is a cut above the usual stuff. It's been my favourite planet so far after Taris

My buddy and I just started Tatooine and we both agreed that it felt like a breath of fresh air after the concrete canyons of Nar Shadaa (which IMO was too similar to Coruscant.. And was Shadow Town meant to look like a high security prison when you could just walk straight in?!).

The reason it's a prison with no walls is because all the inmates are implanted with bombs that will blow if they try to leave. Effectivly a way for the empire to run a prison camp without it actually looking like one.

-Timboman