The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Companions Ruin the Game

Amatic

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can fight just fine without my companions, I can't kill as many silver enemies without dropping, but I can hold my own. Must be you or something else other than your companion.

Come on man.

It is the companion. They make up, as best as I can tell, close to half of your combat output. Maybe that depends on the class, but the game is clearly tuned for players with companions, not lone players.

Companions are in no way "half" of your damage output. I'm a Gunnery specced Trooper who's been lucky with repeated drops in Hard Modes and Ops, so my Aric Jorgan is decked out almost as well as I am--and if we were to attack separate but identical mobs, I'd kill mine far faster than twice the time it would take him.

From the get-go, we have known that companions will be nearly necessary for soloing. Unless you're the king of CC, you're going to get a lot of mobs thrown at you at once. This isn't WoW where you fight one creature every time, MAYBE two--it's more like City of Heroes, where you get three, four, five, even six guys dumped on you at once and are expected to pull through. You kind of need a little helper there.

The OP complains about Bowdaar, a tanking pet, needing to heal between fights on his Gunslinger. Well, yeah, Bowdaar is a tank, and Gunslingers are not healers. If Bowdaar keeps the enemies off you, he's done his job. The seven seconds it takes to recuperate him up or dismiss/resummon is not a ridiculous amount of downtime in comparison to other MMOs, especially at launch. Everyone likes to compare to WoW, so I'll do it again; downtime for non-healer classes in WoW was ridiculous for years. People have also complained "soloing isn't anywhere near this hard in WoW" as a healer or something--sure, maybe if you're talking about Cata or late WotLK. I remember launch WoW, and healer-specced Priests and the like were absolutely abysmal for soloing, and this was still before the days of dual specs.

So you're a DPS class and your tanking companion isn't helping you out. Use your healing companion.

It seems to me that DPS characters use Healing companions (as a tank comp. will struggle to keep aggro off them),

Healing characters use tank companions and off-DPS (since their DPS rivals DPS comps. anyway and they'd probably just pull aggro onto themselves),

and Tank characters use DPS companions (since they have no problem surviving themselves, but killing quickly is an issue).

Companions are in no way "half" of your damage output. I'm a Gunnery specced Trooper who's been lucky with repeated drops in Hard Modes and Ops, so my Aric Jorgan is decked out almost as well as I am--and if we were to attack separate but identical mobs, I'd kill mine far faster than twice the time it would take him.

From the get-go, we have known that companions will be nearly necessary for soloing. Unless you're the king of CC, you're going to get a lot of mobs thrown at you at once. This isn't WoW where you fight one creature every time, MAYBE two--it's more like City of Heroes, where you get three, four, five, even six guys dumped on you at once and are expected to pull through. You kind of need a little helper there.

Don't be so quick to judge when this could very will be isolated to certain classes and companion combinations. And levels. Can you tell me you had the same experience on your Trooper around level 20? Because I didn't. Aric was just as, if not more powerful than me. And I didn't even touch his gear.

Secondly, no. We did not know from the get go they would be critical to combat. That revelation came waaay later in the game. But that's neither here nor there.

the companions are quite good , if you know how equip and use them right.

Right, and there's two potential problems with that:

1) They can be too good.

2) You have to put them away come end-game, which made all of your effort getting him there moot.

I don't want a companion, I just want my character. But because of the way content is tuned, companions are required for solo play. It is what it is, but I do wish there were other options, maybe through talent builds. than through pseudo-pet classes :(

Edited by Lethality

Don't be so quick to judge when this could very will be isolated to certain classes and companion combinations. And levels. Can you tell me you had the same experience on your Trooper around level 20? Because I didn't. Aric was just as, if not more powerful than me. And I didn't even touch his gear.

Secondly, no. We did not know from the get go they would be critical to combat. That revelation came waaay later in the game. But that's neither here nor there.

Annnnd now people are arguing about who heard what and when. Subjective much?

Maybe it is just a class/companion combo. I can tell you that as a Gunslinger, no companion helps enough to make soloing fun. It's so incredibly slow paced. Bowdaar does decent aggro-wise but always ends up almost dead (and by all right, I mean piss poorly but better than Corso). Fish-Head is a far superior healer to the robot but he doesn't heal fast or hard enough to keep me alive while I'm getting face-melted.

As it stands, Gunslingers are excellent for PvP because I can rock someone quickly and have tons of outs to avoid CC and damage. We do killer DPS. But getting to 50 and doing dailies and ANYTHING by yourself is so miserable it's not even funny.

Your companions are junk. Plain and simple. Might be different for other classes.

Well Ive been co-oping with a friend from 1-50 and we even did the 4 mans easily with our companions.... TBH... the companions are better than alot of players :D

I was sorc healer and used Val ALL THE TIME!. My friend was an assasin and used Jaesa/Val/Talos depending on what we were doing. Yes I know I made it easy for us since I was a healer. Sorc healing is so OP it aint funny. Been healing in mmos for 10 years now, and co-oping to 50 with a sorc doing 4 mans duo was so easy I got annoyed.

And I would like to add, IF u gear your healing companion, youre gonna steamroll anything.. after my m8 finally DID gear Talos I didnt even have to heal anymore AND WE DID 4 MAN HEROICS. I was just spamming our lame so unbelievable overpowered aoe dmg spell non stop stunning and killing everything while taking literally no dmg at all. On a few **** ups with cc I just threw a heal here or there but thats it...

We DID group on occasion with others for a few flashpoints but my point is we didnt need other players at all if u play your companions right.

Love em or hate em... they are here to stay and I`d suggest you learn to play with them or find another game cause this game was made for having them.