2012 Events Feedback

DavidBass

Hi everyone!

With 2012 finally here (and the launch of the game behind us), it’s now time for us to start planning events this year. While we’ve begun putting together plans for things we’d like to do at conventions and shows around the world, we wanted to reach out to you, the members of our community, to get your thoughts about what you’d want to see at these events.

Now bear in mind, we know many of you will want to see new content and game features showcased at events – and in some cases, you will. However, you don’t need to ask us for that as we already know it’s desired – and exactly what does and doesn’t get shown will be in the hands of the development team (and subject to the development schedule!).

While we haven’t announced the events we’re attending yet, we’ll be present at many of the shows we were at in 2011. We’re also planning on attending a bunch of additional events. What we do at these events will be varied, from having a full booth to doing Community meet-ups and panels, but our goal is to bring The Old Republic to a lot more people – and meet as many of our community as possible throughout the year!

With that in mind, we want to hear your thoughts. To get you started, here are some questions we’d love to get your feedback on.

1. What would you want to see at a show this year? (Examples might include PvP tournaments, Q&As at the booth, photo opportunities)
  2. What topics would you like to see covered on panels? Specific areas of the game? General roundtables with the developer team? Voice actors?
  3. If a show is in your area, would you be likely to attend a Community Meet & Greet outside the show itself?

Thanks in advance for all your great feedback!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want a full blown Bioware con hosted at the Baltimore Convention Center.

What would you want to see at a show this year? (Examples might include PvP tournaments, Q&As at the booth, photo opportunities)

Costume contest, chance to have our voice recorded into a random NPC of the game

What topics would you like to see covered on panels? Specific areas of the game? General roundtables with the developer team? Voice actors?

Game balance, future plans for expansions

If a show is in your area, would you be likely to attend a Community Meet & Greet outside the show itself?

Yes I would

Edited by Dragonexadon

I would love to see a system for organized Huttball. I think that organized teams of Huttball with significant cosmetic rewards for winning would be really cool. An example would be each team must have a minimum of 8 people on the roster with a max of 20. Each team would be assigned another team to play, the captains would then select a time they will faceoff before Tuesday of the next week.

No expertise allowed. No team composition rules.

1 & 2.) Since story is such a big part of this game, I'd love to see a Q&A/Discussions with the writers. It's a unique strength of Old Republic, and I'd love to hear the thoughts of those writing the stories. Along that same line, events with the voice actors would be awesome.

3.) If an event were in my area, I'd definitely attend a Meet & Greet. That would be awesome.

1. What would you want to see at a show this year? (Examples might include PvP tournaments, Q&As at the booth, photo opportunities)

A: Tournaments would be fun. It would also be cool to one day have ranked PvP matches world wide meet up at like the MLG and such.

2. What topics would you like to see covered on panels? Specific areas of the game? General roundtables with the developer team? Voice actors?

A: I would love to have Voice actors covered at the panel as I am aspiring to be a voice actor and like to get more information on what I can do to reach that.

3. If a show is in your area, would you be likely to attend a Community Meet & Greet outside the show itself?

A: Definately. Hopefully there would be a way to seperate by servers as well to meet people on our same server.

1. What would you want to see at a show this year? (Examples might include PvP tournaments, Q&As at the booth, photo opportunities) PVP tournaments and Q&A panels with dev's

2. What topics would you like to see covered on panels? Specific areas of the game? General roundtables with the developer team? Voice actors? Roundtables and maybe lore panels.

3. If a show is in your area, would you be likely to attend a Community Meet & Greet outside the show itself? This year, Dragon*Con will be held Labor Day weekend (August 31 - September 3, 2012) in Atlanta, GA. Usually 40k + people show up and panels usually fill up, would be great to see BioWare there and a meet and greet outside of the con the Thursday or Tuesday before or after the Con would be awesome too!

Definitely Q&As.

General roundtables for sure. Specifically, it would be nice to have some of those burning questions answered that we can't seem to get answers for on the forums. Voice actors would be nice, but if you do include them, please let them have their own section/time slot/etc. When the VAs were introduced at Comic-Con 2011, it seemed a bit awkward because you had some great talent just sitting there while questions were being asked about the game mechanics and the like. If they were kept separate in the future, I think it would be a lot more effective.

Most definitely.

Edited by Jasuk

Greetings-

1a) Photo ops not just with developers, but with voice actors and community managers.

1b) You can never have enough Q&A. Invite all comers with difficult questions, be as transparent as possible.

1b) Have stations set up to play lvl 50 characters of all AC types on the show floor.

2a) Would love to hear about voice acting, the process involved. Do actors that talk to each other share a room, etc?

2b) Future development/bug fixes panel; I'd attend

3) Extremely likely, bring anything within 30 miles of Washington, DC and my wife and I will show.

Regards,

Androvis

Edited by Androvis
Answered all questions

1.What would you want to see at a show this year? (Examples might include PvP tournaments, Q&As at the booth, photo opportunities)

I love Q&A panels and photo ops are always nice. I don't really care about PvP...but I think it would be a nice draw for folks who are into that, heck I'd play if I got to go head to head with SR. ;)

I'd like to see art panels...those are always fun. While I have no talent in the area..I love to see how they created the world and all the fun items in it.

Dev panels are always good too. A sure draw and very interesting.

I'd also like to see the music team involved in a panel. Quirky musicians are fun!

Yep, I'd go. Though.....the draw of Indiana is probably minimal at best.....*le sigh*

There is some footbally thing-a-majig going on here soon though. I dunno...some tournament, thing.

What would you want to see at a show this year? (Examples might include PvP tournaments, Q&As at the booth, photo opportunities)

PvP tournaments, MORE PVP !

What topics would you like to see covered on panels? Specific areas of the game? General roundtables with the developer team? Voice actors?

Developer team Q&As

If a show is in your area, would you be likely to attend a Community Meet & Greet outside the show itself?

Maybe

Edited by Drokisannath

Hi everyone!

Thanks in advance for all your great feedback!

1) I think everyone loves Q&A's - I'd specifically love to see panels regarding the story/writing of the different class lines, knowing where inspiration came from for each, etc. I'd also love to hear about story that didn't make it in, or how the storylines might be re-started in expansions or level cap increases, etc.

2) I'd actually love to know more about the crafting system in a panel or roundtable; roundtables with the devs are usually illuminating as well

3) It would depend, but maybe.

First I will say that I never go to these shows. Infact, it's safe to say that the majority of your community will not be attending.

But when MMO devs (in general) attend these shows, I find it bothersome. For a few months out of the year, typically the summer months when all these shows are going on, our 'dev feedback' always seems to drop like a rock.

Patches become fewer and far between. Devs become far less active, and what dev posts do show up on the dev tracker, they are usually talking about these shows. Seriously, I dont care about that stuff.

You ask what I want from these shows? I want you to focus on improving the game, like you do in the non-show season. I want you to NOT be like those other MMO devs who neglect their game for about three months out of the year to go glory hound at these shows.

1. Construction of a Quest panel: It would be nice to see the writers/devs go through the process of creating a story-driven quest. How the story and quest mechanics mesh. How the choices of dialogue are determined and how the reactions to those choices are made within the gaming environment.

2. Voice Acting panel: With such a heavily voiced game, it would be great to listen/ask questions to the voice actors and those on the dev team that worked with them to give us incite on the process.

3. More Community Meet and Greets. Those were great at PAX this last year. Its very enjoyable to be able to speak to devs an fans of the game in a more casual environment.

Lots and lots of Q&As in varied forms. Since only a tiny fraction of your community will actually be at the convention, the people at home just want to have more knowledge of the game. Gameplay is obviously no longer that important (unless it's to showcase new content) since obviously the game has already launched now. ;)

And if at all possible, provide them via official videos, audios, text via the TOR site, not just fansites capturing the Q&As. I'm not sure if anyone else will still try to do the "convention threads" but I don't have time to devote to them anymore. That means you guys really need to try and make all the information from conventions more easily accessible.

Talks with developers for sure. Last year at SDCC it was great having some of the voice actors up there at the panel and I loved that I got to meet them, however during the Q&A portion of the panel I think they were asked maybe one question... everyone else wanted to ask questions related to game mechanics.

Abso-freakin'-lutely! The Meet & Greets were some of the best parts about the conventions in my personal opinion. Especially when BioWare covers the drinks. ;) Oh, and make sure it's a full bar... the wine and beer at SDCC was kinda low quality lol. The Meet & Greet at E3 was waaaay better. :D

I'm looking forward to E3 and SDCC again this year! I hope I get to meet with you all again. :)

Edited by GamewizX

I couldn't care less about events (unless it's a bioware only event kinda like blizzcon). The only reason for me to watch an event is to keep tabs on future products. SWTOR is already out. Just keep us informed on what you're doing with the game through the website/forums.