[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

I've been following this game since it was first announced, and I'm loving it for now, feels star warsy and is a real pleasure to play. Unfortunately, the textures are incredibly disappointing, it's really not up to standards and not the game I played in beta. Wow, a game released in 2004 (it installed high texture packs progressively, last one was around 2010-not sure), has way better graphics than this 2011 game...I really hope they do something about it soon (In the next month or two).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, now look at your live action gameplay and compare it to this Developer Walkthrough of the playable game:

Clearly, they don't have to develop the ability to show high resolution textures. It works just fine here!

You've missed my point. Whether or not the graphics on my screen match those in that developer walkthrough or not - my point is that the game, in my esitmation, looks good. I don't need to have the absolute higest resolution possible on characters in the game in order to think so.

Like I keep saying - I guess it's a matter or personal preference and gaming experience. You'd be hard pressed to show me any game in this day and age that I consider so graphically inadequate as to be "unplayable".

And the worst part? Reid had to wait an extra day so he could have all the devs sign off on his little blurb there that insults the intelligence of every paying customer they have. He had to get, and GOT, approval to tell us we're all morons.

That's my biggest issue with this whole mess.

They are basically saying, "we think you guys are stupid enough that we can pass this nonsense off on you and you'll believe it," and unfortunately for them, many of us aren't.

Anyone with two brain cells to rub together, who also has any experience playing MMO's (or PC games at all for that matter) knows that this response was garbage. It's great and all that a someone replied, but the fact that the reply was at best misleading and at worst and out and out lie just annoys me to no end.

There were MANY of us in beta that had no problem running the game as it was. Even further, if it's added option and not the default, who cares if people have problems running it? It's called options, and they are a good thing!

Hey everyone, thanks for bearing with us as we investigated the concerns raised here.

After investigation, it seems that the confusion here is a combination of a UI issue that's been resolved and a feature that's working as intended, but the reason why it's 'working as intended' needs explanation.

First, the UI issue. The preferences menu as it is seen on the Public Test Server for version 1.1 of the game is correct - there are only supposed to be two texture choices, 'Low' and 'High'. This replaces the original three-choice preference of Low/Medium/High because in reality, there was never supposed to be a 'Medium' choice - that was a bug.

Here's where we need to explain. As many of you have noted, your character in the game world is rendered using lower resolution textures than inside of cinematic conversation scenes. This was a deliberate decision by the development team. To understand why this was done, I have to briefly talk about MMOs and their engines.

In comparison to single player games and other genres of multiplayer online games, MMOs have much higher variability in the number of characters that can be potentially rendered on-screen at the same time. In MMOs, even though most of the time you'll see a relatively small number of characters on screen, there are certain situations in which many more characters will be seen. Some examples of these situations include popular gathering places in-game (in our case, the two fleets), Operations with large teams, and Warzones. In those scenarios the client (and your PC) has to work hard to show off a lot of characters on-screen.

During development and testing of The Old Republic, our priorities were to ensure the game looked great and performed well. In testing, we discovered that using our 'maximum resolution' textures on in-game characters during normal gameplay could cause severe performance issues, even on powerful PCs. There were a variety of possible options to help improve performance, but one that was explored and ultimately implemented used what is known as a 'texture atlas'.

To understand that I've got to get technical for a minute. When a character in the game is 'seen' by another character - ie, gets close to your field of view - the client has to 'draw' that character for you to see. As the character is 'drawn' for you there are a number of what are known as 'draw calls' where the client pulls information from the repository it has on your hard disk, including textures, and then renders the character. Every draw call that is made is a demand on your PC, so keeping that number of draw calls low per character is important. With our 'maximum resolution' textures a large number of draw calls are made per character, but that wasn't practical for normal gameplay, especially when a large number of characters were in one place; the number of draw calls made on your client would multiply very quickly. The solution was to 'texture atlas' - essentially to put a number of smaller textures together into one larger texture. This reduces the number of draw calls dramatically and allows the client to render characters quicker, which improves performance dramatically.

When it comes to cinematic scenes, however, characters are rendered using the higher number of draw calls and maximum resolution textures. This is because in those scenes, we have control over exactly how many characters are rendered and can ensure that the game performs well. The transition between 'atlas textured' characters (out of cinematics) and 'maximum resolution' textures (in cinematics) is mostly hidden by the transition between those two states (when the screen goes black), but obviously it's clear if you pay close attention.

In summary; yes, we had a small UI bug that unfortunately caused confusion over how the game is intended to work. The textures you're seeing in the course of normal gameplay are optimized for that mode of play. The textures you're seeing during cinematics are also optimized for that mode of play. They are higher resolution, but that's because we're able to control cinematic scenes to ensure good performance in a way we can't during normal gameplay.

We understand the passion and desire for people to see the same textures you see in our cinematic scenes in the main game. Because of the performance issues that would cause for the client, that's not an immediate and easy fix; we need to ensure we're making choices that the majority of our players will be able to benefit from. Having 'atlassed textures' helps performance overall, and that's a very important goal for us.

With that said, we've heard your feedback here loud and clear. The development team is exploring options to improve the fidelity of the game, particularly for those of you with high-spec PCs. It will be a significant piece of development work and it won't be an overnight change, but we're listening and we're committed to reacting to your feedback.

In short, you wasted your money on a computer because we know better about what your computer can handle than you do

http://postimage.org/image/8j4d54tkt/full/

I'm not the guy you called out... still 'blobby-ish' but much better, you need to tweak your settings beyond in game options.

It's the best I can do with my speeder, one more level of zoom puts me into first person mode.

P.S. Give us HD-textures BW... even if it's a 'hack'... let us do it dang it

I'm sorry but that still looks horrible. Also there are no tweaks that will fix your textures.

I hate to say it but we just got repackaged a reworked Star Wars Galaxies.

What we want is not Realistic BF3 Graphics. Stylized is ok. But what we got was a light engine on top of Star Wars Galaxies. and removed the sandbox mode.

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/d/d7/Dark_jedi-_light_Jedi.JPG

What we want is fidelity. Crisp lines and drawings. it doesnt have to look like a photo. but it does need to look better that a 120x120 image blown up to 1080x1080 and stretched on a model.

That image looks better than anything I've seen in SWTOR so far. At least the SW:G graphics were properly anti-aliased, and their high-rez textures were actually USED.

Bioware, just give us the option to turn on the "ultra" setting. It is clear based on several posts in this thread alone that people with high-end systems were able to successfully run the game on the highest graphics settings in beta. If they could do so then, then they can run it now. That is the whole point of allowing graphics to be adjusted -- if your computer can't handle it, you turn the setting down, period.

What is the problem?

It wouldn't be so bad if the environmental texutres looked like crap as well, but they show high-res just fine, it's when you put these muddy poop textures next to the amazing environments in this game, is when it looks unfinished and low quality.

You mean like this?

Granted it's not a tremendously "amazing" environment, it's just my ship, but I'm done logging into The Blurry Republic so I won't be going to find a better environment.

LMAO is that what you think...? do you know how many people are watching this in terms of its actaul impact... product misrepresentation and sales of goods act... its a little big bigger than just being about the game people hate being lied to! check out the web forums outside the community people are raging!!!!

You don't understand how numbers.work. Take everyone you know who will quit over this, and everyone saying that they willl quit in this thread and on all threads on all the forums you visit, and you still only have a couple hundred out of millions.

Could this issue cause more than that to quit? Absolutely. But I said whiners, not mature and legitimitely disgruntled consumers. I will miss the latter, but certainly not the former (of which you are a part).

If you're going to limit our graphics options due to the lowest common denominator of computer specs, then why not just remove all options, set everything to low, with no option to change it... remove shadows, who needs shadows anyways, bloom, pffft whats bloom most people say anyways. Just remove all that and give us excrement on a plate and call it dinner. Then when people ask why just say all those options available previously were 'UI bugs.'

Remember all the people in beta who said High-res would return on launch in a miracle launch patch?

http://i.imgur.com/0lF3U.jpg

yep! laughed at them then and still laughing at them.

but also feel like crying 'cause at this shouldnt be happening really. game makers should go for making more beautiful games and not more mediocre. offering more choice rather than limiting them.

ohwell.

Bioware, just give us the option to turn on the "ultra" setting. It is clear based on several posts in this thread alone that people with high-end systems were able to successfully run the game on the highest graphics settings in beta. If they could do so then, then they can run it now. That is the whole point of allowing graphics to be adjusted -- if your computer can't handle it, you turn the setting down, period.

What is the problem?

tbh i smell EA's fingers in this one, knowing the company it wouldnt surprise me any bit.

Pushing the launch date even when the game isnt done yet, thats why i loathe Big shot Gaming companies like this, its not about the game anymore, just credits.

If you take a look at Indie or smaller Game studio's, they still care for their end product, Buggs and glitches are still "normal" any PC game has those, but things like Graphical fidelity being supa low on shipment is beyond me

That image looks better than anything I've seen in SWTOR so far. At least the SW:G graphics were properly anti-aliased, and their high-rez textures were actually USED.

It's sad, but I had the same thought.

I think, overall, swtor textures are better, but those characters look better.

It's comments like yours that don't help the cause. SWG in no way, shape, or form looks better than ToR. You can be upset about the current textures without out and out lying.

If you honestly think that screenshot looks better than anything you've seen in this game you should stop worrying about textures and start worrying about your vision failing you.