Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Space, The boring frontier

Vialator

I got this game as thought the space combat and such would be much more involving but what we got was something very very weak- all I am left with now is go to planet X and then go kill x amount of human things or y amount of robots -on virtually every planet- guess i can go kill stuff in wow if i wanted that.

So the space game which i so desperately wanted in this game to keep me playing doesn't exist- hopefully they will fix that an perhaps I will come back when its a bit more involving.

Guess I will play x3 albion prelude and wow for now till they patch this with more exiting space game

it would have took you less then 5minutes to do a search on the internet after the nda was up to know what space combat was about. i think you are flamebaiting

imo buy freespace or something simular look up some of the full coversion mods. they are awsome

Edited by Mrshush

I got this game as thought the space combat and such would be much more involving but what we got was something very very weak- all I am left with now is go to planet X and then go kill x amount of human things or y amount of robots -on virtually every planet- guess i can go kill stuff in wow if i wanted that.

So the space game which i so desperately wanted in this game to keep me playing doesn't exist- hopefully they will fix that an perhaps I will come back when its a bit more involving.

Guess I will play x3 albion prelude and wow for now till they patch this with more exiting space game

That would be an entirely different game all together.

Being a fanatic of space sims sine the old days of Privateer.

It would be like creating 2 games, rather than one.

And if that was the case, if I was them I would sell it as an entirely different game, or as a full expansion for full price.

Because that would be an entire dev team to create an advance sim like X3 or the like.

it would have took you less then 5minutes to do a search on the internet after the nda was up to know what space combat was about. i think you are flamebaiting

imo buy freespace or something simular look up some of the full coversion mods. they are awsome

not really- I don't like to spoil a game by looking it up before its launch- I like the surprises I get for doing something first without having to watch youtube videos about it- I am set in that way and have done it for every single mmo I have tried and believe me when I say I tried em all in the last 8 years- every single mmo to come out- especially sci fi based ones.

That would be an entirely different game all together.

Being a fanatic of space sims sine the old days of Privateer.

It would be like creating 2 games, rather than one.

And if that was the case, if I was them I would sell it as an entirely different game, or as a full expansion for full price.

Because that would be an entire dev team to create an advance sim like X3 or the like.

This is the game I would pay through my teeth for- a merging of the two into one game - that's my dream come true - if only a company had the balls to try something like this.

Surely the technology is around for a gaming company to do this- most pc users have machines capable of it- something like a fusion of freelancer and star wars ground game would be awesome

Not advertised as a spaceship game, go play xwing rogue squadron..

Im sure they will however improve it in future.

Space by it's very definition is boring. Have you played EVE? That doesn't even begin to explain it.

Got active eve online account now for 5 years- that's awesome but missing the ground part to make it best ever game :p

fuse the two and you will have a game that could be the next big thing in mmo's

not really- I don't like to spoil a game by looking it up before its launch- I like the surprises I get for doing something first without having to watch youtube videos about it- I am set in that way and have done it for every single mmo I have tried and believe me when I say I tried em all in the last 8 years- every single mmo to come out- especially sci fi based ones.

as much as i wish earth and beyond was a success, or that my pc could have ran it when it came out. i dont think a space mmo will be succesfull beyond eve.

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkc1t87D4y1qe66alo1_500.jpg

Couldn't resist.

Don't pander to me, kid. One tiny crack in the hull, and our blood boils in thirteen seconds. Solar flare might crop up, cook us in our seats. And wait till you're sitting pretty with a case of Andorian shingles. See if you're still so relaxed when your eyeballs are bleeding! Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence.

Space combat is anything but boring! How do the kids say it these days? "You mad 'cuz you bad."

The space missions are meant to grab your attention for a few minutes--a distraction from the leveling grind. If you play them constantly, you're doing it wrong. It isn't, despite it's best efforts, Star Fox.

Edited by Wuzseen

There was this game i played awhile ago- pretty old game- the graphics werent all that fantastic and it was a single player game but hows this for immersion.

the game had space fights with ships- you could attack big freighters and big cruisers and once you destroyed the shields and such you could approach it and a option popped up for you to board it- it then went into first person shooter mode and you could board the ship and kill the people on-board to take over the ship albeit only to sell the thing for scrap hmm

you then had the option for landing on planets and doing missions and such- for the life of me I cannot recall the name of the game.

But a fusion of those sorts in a mmo would defo be ground breaking.

If that's all you see the game as you clearly did not do any research. There is a whole lot of story involved with the quests as well.

Personally, I don't get peoples' gripes with the space combat; it's exactly what we were told it would be; a bunch of mini-game missions that are short, fun, and offer nice xp.

Agree

Its total rubbish ok if your 5 years old should have been left out and released later as an expansion maybe, more attention to fix other areas of the game should have taken priority and just used a shuttleport system for now. And the launching every time when you enter the ship is getting to be a real pain.

This is the game I would pay through my teeth for- a merging of the two into one game - that's my dream come true - if only a company had the balls to try something like this.

Surely the technology is around for a gaming company to do this- most pc users have machines capable of it- something like a fusion of freelancer and star wars ground game would be awesome

Yes, but is the time and the investors there.

Space sims are a very tight niche of players.

Small piece of the pie for example.

My wife plays this game, and she loves the little space rail shooter.

They have to take in account those type of players.

Because my wife will not play it if it requires her to understand real world physics in order to maneuver her ship.

That's the problem trying to make a game that encompasses a large player demo.

More people will enjoy this rail shooter, then there would be like you and I that wanted a Space Sim.

And that is a lot of money to invest to appease a small crowd.

Majority rules I am afraid.. :o

Edited by Fraxture

Got active eve online account now for 5 years- that's awesome but missing the ground part to make it best ever game :p

fuse the two and you will have a game that could be the next big thing in mmo's

So leave already. :)

You guys realize that SWG actually did this? A real, total blending of mmo and space sim. dozens of diff ships, completely upgradable, free flight, combat, everything you're talking about. I loved it. Many people complained that it was trying to be too many things. People are always clamboring for new and unique, but when it happens they crap their pants and run away. You know, like so many threads on here about how this game isn't just like all the others out there...

Other than space missions are repetitive I actually like it. Didn't think I wouold.

If they are able to implement more engaging missions and more variety I am fine with it.

Everyone says JTL was awesome, and all I remember was flying in a circle in horribly ugly space shooting npc's. PvP space in JTL was bomb but PvE was way worse than what SWTOR brings.

You guys realize that SWG actually did this? A real, total blending of mmo and space sim. dozens of diff ships, completely upgradable, free flight, combat, everything you're talking about. I loved it. Many people complained that it was trying to be too many things. People are always clamboring for new and unique, but when it happens they crap their pants and run away. You know, like so many threads on here about how this game isn't just like all the others out there...

Not at launch...

It came out as an expansion one year later, and had major issues at launch.

And that's what I said earlier, I could see them adding it as an expansion that you pay for.

Though later on it was all in the same package as the game began to slide downhill.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.