The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is the voice acting worth it?

keano

Clearer than plain English? Hmmm. Let me think about this one.

Those games were popular.

They could have been popular because people like watching static, CG heads talking.

They could have been popular because people like the stories and would have been fine with the story delivered in a different way, and the rigid talking heads were incidental to their popularity.

You don't know. You are attributing the success to the voice overs because that would support what you are advocating, even though you can't know the real reason.

No, they like the story, and the depth of interaction the story offers. If Witcher 3 comes out, with walls of text, people would be ticked. The cut-scenes allow for depth by giving you choice, if they were to remove that, I think some fans would have pitch forks. You're seriously being delusional if you think people would prefer walls of text in those games. The voice-acting is a step up, it's why they're so popular.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ive listened to every quest ive gotten even side quests. i feel it is very worth it and if people spacebar through the game they are missing out on a lot of stuff. but hey people can play how they want. its not like the conversations take all that long anyway but for me they are very worth it and that is what sets this game apart from other games.

^^ This

I havent skipped a single video either and im enjoying the game and its not like bioware hid the fact that this game was very story intensive. It is an MMO regardless of what people say but sometimes i can see how people compare it to playing allot like a single player game with the odd player.

Of course this if you have guild mates you can run around with or cobble together a group from general chat i've found running quests in groups or with guildies gives you a far far better playing experience than running the quests on their own.

But as mentioned this type of gameplay isnt for everyone. If your into end game raiding or PvP'ing i can imagine this type of thing wouldnt interest them.

Definitely worth it. This game is about story and immersion in that story as much as it is about gameplay.

When they dismiss the immersion elements like VO and deep storylines for the immediate gratification model used in other MMOs, then this game will be just another WOW hamster wheel clone (grind for gear/raid/patch/grind for gear/raid/patch/grind for gear/so on).

Edited by Blaeys

are you really in such a hurry to get angry at 1-2 minutes of interactive dialogue on a RPG?

We have different definitions of "interactive" then. Clicking a response out of three to which the reply always leads to the same conclusion isn't interactivity, but an exercise in button-clicking.

I'm not in a hurry, no. But the conversations with NPCs take away from the pacing of the game. To go from the field where I'm mowing down mobs of Talz in record, epic time, and then come back to base to listen to an NPC tell me about his/her problems disrupts the flow of content.

I think the only big issue with the VO is that MMO players are used to all the spreadsheets, equations, and seeking maximum efficiency. They are in a race to reach the endgame because that's where the "real game" begins since that is how it was in other MMOs.

So something that slows down the process--such as voice-acted scenes--is anathema to them. They become impatient because they are conditioned to need to go go go and get it done.

Nail on the head

Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age, Dragon Age 2. Played them all. They're a single-player story experience which meshes well with voiced dialogue. My problem is I'm having a hard time seeing it apply to an MMO where quests run the gamut from epic to banal.

In the case of TOR, I think the voice overs add something to the main class quests, but detract from the standard fair of fetch and kill quests. In that latter case, I'd prefer a very pithy "Go here, do this, because such is happening."

I'm also glad you took it upon yourself to dictate what my standards mean for me. If I didn't have some nobody on the forum telling me what's good or bad for me, I don't know where I'd be.

Well then don't play an MMO marketed as story-driven. Jeesh.

Edited by Jediwran

It's impressive on Tython, enjoyable on Coruscant, and tolerable throughout the rest of the game. By the time you've heard x male voice for the 18th time and seen him do generic bioware hand motions 3, 6, and 7, it starts to lose it's appeal.

Talking to aliens who spout the same 3 lines over and over again got old quickly as well.

Edited by Zakaan

We have different definitions of "interactive" then. Clicking a response out of three to which the reply always leads to the same conclusion isn't interactivity, but an exercise in button-clicking.

I'm not in a hurry, no. But the conversations with NPCs take away from the pacing of the game. To go from the field where I'm mowing down mobs of Talz in record, epic time, and then come back to base to listen to an NPC tell me about his/her problems disrupts the flow of content.

That's the way it is even in their single player games. But people still love it, even if you don't.

there's the problem.

it doesn't lead to the same conclusion.

stop pressing the space bar and you'll get it.

That's the way it is even in their single player games. But people still love it, even if you don't.

Why are you so defensive? Is your self-worth tied to my enjoyment of the game?

The OP asked a question, I gave an honest answer. I like the voice over work, but there's places where I think it disrupts pacing.

It's icing on an otherwise delicious cake.

No, they like the story, and the depth of interaction the story offers.

Again, you are speculating. You should not make statements of fact when you have no access to relevant facts.

What that sentence should say is "No, they like ... I don't know what they like since I have no special source from which to get this knowledge."

There is always Rift and WoW.

I hate Rift and WoW, I do like SWToR.

My favorite MMO of all time was FFXI. THey did the story based MMO first, and did it better than Bioware has. I loved doing the story based quests and missions there, overcoming an incredible challenge with a group of people and seeing that next part of the story. But it wasn't forced down your throat every second. Squeenix realized that the game was an MMO first and foremost and developed that aspect just as much as they developed the story aspect.

Unfortunately games of that era were mostly based on grinding and hardcore grouping which ultimately proved to be that games downfall. :(

Edited by Saetun

I think it is completely worth it. I've heard people complain that playing through again you just want to skip all the dialogue that you already heard before so it was a waste to put it in there. I do not agree with this. In a single player RPG such as Skyrim most people will only ever play the game once yet nobody considers the voice acting a waste in this instance. I see nothing wrong with playing SWTOR once and enjoying the story, then playing through again skipping the dialogue. I still think the voice acting is worth it.

BioWare's ability to tell a compelling story is the one thing keeping me playing SWTOR over other MMOs despite the fact that some of my most desired features are still missing from the game. No it's not the same great story telling you might get from a single player RPG like Skyrim but I think it's the best of both worlds (MMO and RPG). It's the first MMO that actually took the time to focus on the RPG part of MMORPG.

Story is important to me. The voice acting is part of the story and thus it is also important to me. Yes, to me, it is worth it.

Again, you are speculating. You should not make statements of fact when you have no access to relevant facts.

What that sentence should say is "No, they like ... I don't know what they like since I have no special source from which to get this knowledge."

The same on your part. I think it's beyond the pale to speculate the people who play those games would prefer walls of text.

People with the attention span of a gnat actually appreciate the WoW style. Or, who have zero interest in the story, or their character's story.

When did it become people who read who have short attention spans instead of the people obsessed with flashing lights and moving pictures?

I guess the world got flipped 180 degrees at some point in my lifetime.

there's the problem.

it doesn't lead to the same conclusion.

stop pressing the space bar and you'll get it.

I'll give you an example, smart guy. NPC wants you to go talk to some Ugnaughts because they have a part he needs. Your dialogue options, at the end of the conversation are: Sure, no problem. I don't work for free. No thanks [Refuse Quest].

Two of the options, regardless of the character of speech or context of the conversation, will lead to you accepting the quest. The last simply "escapes" you from the dialogue, but does not prevent you from accepting the quest later if you choose to.

How do those options lead to a different conclusion?

Now, I don't want to drag the OP off-topic because this is a great thread. It's an example, sure, but one that applies to the majority of dialogue choices I've come across in the game. On the rare occasion, you'll get to kill or save someone--in which case I'm fully immersed and feel like I'm having an impact.

When did it become people who read who have short attention spans instead of the people obsessed with flashing lights and moving pictures?

I guess the world got flipped 180 degrees at some point in my lifetime.

I always read my quests in WoW too. But it's the people who'd prefer to skip reading the quests in WoW (Most), and prefer spacebarring it in this game. This was in no way related to people who actually read WoW quests. At any rate, I'd rather my NPC telling me with his own words, than have to read it. It's a lot more engrossing. I'm sure a lot feel the same way.

Yes, the voice acting is 'worth it'. The presentation of the quests through video allows a better connection between the toon and the world that toon is interacting with. The dialogue also changes slightly when using alts and leveling through the same content again. It is awesome stuff.