The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is the voice acting worth it?

keano

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Voiceovers are just fillers to disguise lack of content and creativity when developing a game. Great books dont make great movies. Its lipstick on a pig. Not that this game is a pig as im enjoying myself so far but I cant help but think how much better it could be if they focused on real content.

In short. YES they are. I listen to every line of it at least the first time around. Its part of playing an RPG. People have gotten so use to playing bland MMOs that they have forgotten that the RPGs are their roots. BW has not forgotten this and has created a true MMORPG instead of just another MMO... and this goes for many other RPG features in the game from companions to choices etc. Well done in my opinion.

I agree with this.

Yes, the story is worth it. If you'd paid any attention to the updates from Bioware, you'd know they are already a year or more into the next batch of content recording with major actors & actresses on long term contract. The voiceovers and the story are the primary selling points of the game. If you weren't looking for that, find a different MMO. There are plenty out there.

Claiming the majority just makes your post look like childish.

Edited by Grammarye

In short. YES they are. I listen to every line of it at least the first time around. Its part of playing an RPG. People have gotten so use to playing bland MMOs that they have forgotten that the RPGs are their roots. BW has not forgotten this and has created a true MMORPG instead of just another MMO... and this goes for many other RPG features in the game from companions to choices etc. Well done in my opinion.

You realize that RPGs have their roots in text-based adventures and non-voice acted RPG juggernauts like Baldurs Gate, Planescape: Torment, Daggerfall and Morrowind, right? Voice acting is not story. Voice acting is icing on a cake.

I love how people claim they know what MOST players do.

Especially, people who have already quit and are just trolling the forums.

I love when people post things like this, insinuating that they KNOW the exact same thing in the opposite direction. In this case, that NOT all players are skipping the dialog.

Edited by krameriffic

The voice acting is totally worth it. Skipping the cutscenes imo is just a sin. That's like not reading the conversations in Baldur's Gate 2. Why are you even playing this game?

Also, some of the sidequests have some of the better/funniest responses out there.

Edited by Dyalad

Correct me if i am wrong but if people are upset / dont want to view the cut scenes isnt there an box to check off in preferances that skips the cut scenes? why complain about a feature that others like my self like when you dont have to deal with the features all together.

I myself like the story / roleplay element and most of the KOTOR fans that play this game are here because of this element. in my opinion most of those complaining about the VO are those that were looking for another MMO to get away from their current MMO.

I played WOW from feb 2005 - march 2011 i lost interest in the bla bla. i did rift from march to nov just could not get into it i guess im burned out on the high fantasy thing.

i was looking forword to this game since i knew it was comming out. one of the things i liked about this game was the story driven / VO of the game. there are 8 different stories in this game and every one that is burned out on their main has the option to play an alt to relieve bordom. not every game out their has 8 different XP's. so what if the side quests are the same. if your sticking to your main and getting your toon geared up bla bla it would be awhile before you touch an alt ne who.

Well thats my 2 cents

Darth Sabreth

The voice acting is totally worth it. Skipping the cutscenes imo is just a sin. That's like not reading the conversations in Baldur's Gate 2. Why are you even playing this game?

But that's the point: you don't need someone to read you the lines. I don't listen to the majority of the dialog, I turn on subtitles and read it in less than half the time that it takes the voice actor to read it. On occasion they insert some action into the cutscenes, but for the most part they are token ******** with no real meat or value to it.

You realize that RPGs have their roots in text-based adventures and non-voice acted RPG juggernauts like Baldurs Gate, Planescape: Torment, Daggerfall and Morrowind, right? Voice acting is not story. Voice acting is icing on a cake.

First, Daggerfall and Morrowind are a joke of a story, Bethesda makes good worlds and horrendous stories.

As far as MMO's when i can choose to kill someone, spare them and take their credits or go kill the initial quest giver, this is far more freedom in the story then get 10 boar tusks for soup.

Edited by TheHeadCapper

But that's the point: you don't need someone to read you the lines. I don't listen to the majority of the dialog, I turn on subtitles and read it in less than half the time that it takes the voice actor to read it. On occasion they insert some action into the cutscenes, but for the most part they are token ******** with no real meat or value to it.

Sounds like your own personal preference, which is not a fact but.....your own personal preference. I like having a voice to my character.

Plus anyone that has Jennifer Hale as a voice actor auto wins the VO sweepstakes.

No way. Some of the voice acting (emotion, tonality, or silences) adds much more that just reading it. I've always played Dragon Age, Mass Effect without skipping any conversation. The voice acting's just too good.

First, Daggerfall and Morrowind are a joke of a story, Bethesda makes good worlds and horrendous stories.

How does this in any way contradict my point? You conspicuously left that part out. Perhaps referring to story was too narrow. The point is that voice acting doesn't create the RPG experience and a lot of people have been fooled into thinking it does. It's exactly the same thing as polishing up a crappy core game with really good graphics, a much more relatable and common lie perpetrated on the gaming masses in modern times. Voice acting EVERYTHING in such a way that doesn't add much to the experience is polishing up a bland, uninteresting core game with shiny objects to divert the bleeting Star Wars fanboys that constitute their primary target demographic.

Theheadcapper: Jennifer Hale's awesome, I really love the Smuggler's female voice acting, she's sparky and funny. Some of the NPCs are pretty awesome too (like Grand Moff what's his name? Simon Templeman). Anyway. Edited by Dyalad

Yes, it's worth it.

This is not World of Spacecraft, it was advertised as a fully voice-acted game, right from the very beginning. Sure, that's not to everyone's tastes, but they bought it knowing what they were getting. Too bad. Don't like it? Skip it. Simple. The option is there, if you don't use it, well then what are you complaining about? :confused:

Edited by DarkZenith

No. Voiceovers are just fillers to disguise lack of content and creativity when developing a game. Great books dont make great movies.

I can name a few great books that turned awesome in the big screen.

I can also name a few bad books that actually got better in the big screen.

this game was advertised as it is right now.

A story-driven, voice acted, massive multiplayer online game based in the universe of Star Wars. That is what you have now.

It's like someone told you that they have a bike for sale, ruby red coloured with flame decals, and then you complain that you bought it but wanted anotehr set of wheels instead of the colours.

and one more thing:

it's BIOWARE and LUCAS ARTS.

do you really believe the money will be a problem? do you really believe that if people start leaving, they won't have a money-injected plan B to bring you back?

get real.

No way. Some of the voice acting (emotion, tonality, or silences) adds much more that just reading it. I've always played Dragon Age, Mass Effect without skipping any conversation. The voice acting's just too good.

Conversations in RPGs are often devoid of emotion and tonality because of the way they have to be threaded together, and this is particularly true in a fake RPG where choices don't matter like SWTOR. There is no emotional investment in 95% of the stuff you do. The only time I have been really involved in any of my character stories was when I finished act 1 on my marauder and my trooper. That's 2 shining moments in 100+ hours of gameplay.

The rest of the voice acted stuff is pointless, irritating filler, often even the stuff associated with the class quests. I don't really care about the details of why this tablet will distract Darth Skotia's Trandoshan guards and I don't care why this anti-cybernetics macguffin is necessary for me to defeat him in single combat. Killing him was aight, but still nothing that special because I have no emotional investment Zash, I barely know who she is. I don't know or care who Darth Skotia is.

It flummoxes me that people are able to connect on an emotional level with the events happening in this game outside of a few truly impressive moments. Having Jaesa kill her master, that was good. Taking down Tavus for being a traitor, that was good. The rest of the stuff: a big DON'T CARE.