Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

We need mailboxes in our ships

Drehzen

Again, I ask why should we have a mailbox on our ship? Am I the only one who finds it strange that we are not able to read our mail from our own personal com-device? Yes, deliveries should be made to the mailboxes, and for a fee be delivered to our ship. That makes sense.

But come on, that our own personal com-device should not be able to recieve (or send) in-game mail. Even my phone, with our tech can do that. Having to go to a mail box, even on ship, for me is immersion-breaking.

Edit: Oh, and I do take it for granted that we are not talking about paper-based snail mail here. I mean who in their right minds would use that, in the SW setting?

And, as I said earlier, I think the use of mailboxes are implemting a feature from other games, withouht think of how it would be in a SW setting.

Edited by Gibbs

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The people against this sort of idea need to stop playing MMO's.

The convenience of a mailbox in your ship would be highly useful! If you are a purist, you can completely avoid your ship's mailbox.

Besides, it's much more realistic that you can get mail in your ship than it is for your lvl 10 companion to go on a crew skill mission to alderaan and search some viable bacteria and be back in 3 minutes.

Mail delivery by magic is not a credible design solution, time compression is widely accepted and even necessary. You're asking for magical delivery out of nowhere. Those companions do something that can be made into a movie or written about, the time is just compressed.

Getting a mailbox in your ship is on the other hand a most misplaced object. It's like saying Santa delivered the mail over the night. It's not going to hold up.

---

Those items doesn't especially break any inherent logic or sense of continuation in the process. Mail delivery is a process, it comes with certain expectations.

---

LoL if you actually think a ship mailbox will break the continuity of the game considering postal delivery was never even discussed an ANY of the movies or books.

Yeah, they can go to hyperspace, and create planet killing super lasers, but a mailbox on your space ship.... THATS PREPOSTEROUS!!

Mail delivery by magic is not a credible design solution, time compression is widely accepted and even necessary. You're asking for magical delivery out of nowhere. Those companions do something that can be made into a movie or written about, the time is just compressed.

Getting a mailbox in your ship is on the other hand a most misplaced object. It's like saying Santa delivered the mail over the night. It's not going to hold up.

---

lol magical delivery already exists in this game. Something being auctioned on Tattooine is "magiclly" appearing in the mailbox in Drommand Kaas 1 minute later?

You're own argument kills your point.

P.S. people already can get their email in their cars. Why wouldn't you be able to get them on your space ship?

Edited by itekazzawrrlic

LoL if you actually think a ship mailbox will break the continuity of the game considering postal delivery was never even discussed an ANY of the movies or books.

Yeah, they can go to hyperspace, and create planet killing super lasers, but a mailbox on your space ship.... THATS PREPOSTEROUS!!

By the power of that logic, you can have any feature you ever want, because it's not documented. But that does not make magical mail delivery out of nowhere more plausible all the same. Outside of the more fantastical elements, baseline expectations will persist and prevail.

Santa delivery does not appear very much like Star Wars material to me.

---

lol magical delivery already exists in this game. Something being auctioned on Tattooine is "magiclly" appearing in the mailbox in Drommand Kaas 1 minute later?

You're own argument kills your point.

P.S. people already can get their email in their cars. Why wouldn't you be able to get them on your space ship?

That's about time compression again. You're supposed to be on the planet for some time. You can attach physical items to the mail, as already stated.

---

By the power of that logic, you can have any feature you ever want, because it's not documented. But that does not make magical mail delivery out of nowhere more plausible all the same. Outside of the more fantastical elements, baseline expectations will persist and prevail.

Santa delivery does not appear very much like Star Wars material to me.

---

Wow I really hope they put mailboxes on ships just to see your head explode.

For me, immersion plays a big part of any game, but MMORPGs in particular. Therefore I would like to see the following (seeing as GTN buys have been brought up here).

(For my view on mail in general see my above posts).

If you buy an item on the GTN, the location where it was sold is an issue. You can pick it up there the moment it is bought. If you are at another location, then you would have to get it sent to you. This would cost you some credits (based on the price of the item) (=credit-sink). This way, if you buy something on Coruscant, while the seller put it on sale at the fleet, you would either have to a- go to the fleet to pick it up, or b- pay a minor fee to have it sent to the mailboxes on coruscant. And if you forget to pick it up, for the sake of simplicity, you can pick it up at any mailbox anywhere.

And no, I don't think this fee should be huge. A minor fee, just to create a feeling of immersion. Yes, this goes to me wanting this game to be a bit more sandboxy and immersive as a persistent world. And it makes buying stuff at the GTN a bit more hassle. I also want gear drops to be significantly less common and qualitywise poorer, to accomodate crafting!

Well, then it's a good thing you don't make the decisions, otherwise this game would be lame.

Mailboxes based on Santa delivery is "lame". Maybe you could get it by "special delivery" or something, as suggested here. But a mailbox inside a ship is just bad design by nature. Quite automatically so. The object itself defies any sense of continuation.

---

Mailboxes based on Santa delivery is "lame". Maybe you could get it by "special delivery" or something, as suggested here. But a mailbox inside a ship is just bad design by nature. Quite automatically so. The object itself defies any sense of continuation.

---

Comparing a Star Wars game to Santa is lame considering both are made up to begin with.

For someone who obviously likes sci fi, you sure lack imagination.

Edited by itekazzawrrlic

That's abstraction. It still follows a certain logic, it's just that the time scale is compressed.

---

If 4 companions can take your ship to different corners of the Galaxy at the same times, and deliver items to your inventory without ever even seeing you, and that somehow qualifies as time scale compression, why is mail on the ship any different?

You want logic? It docks at a space station while you're on it. Makes a bit more sense than gathering missions, frankly.

---

ok so just imagine your ship has a 'cargo bay' which connects to a delivery shute directly to your storeroom. Even out in space you could dock with cargo ships who deliver packages

I made up my mind long ago. Time compression is fine. Logic breaking delivery is not.

---

Why is the time it would take for the ship to dock at the orbital station it's sitting next being compressed down to zero seconds any more logic breaking than the time it takes for something to be shipped from across the galaxy being compressed to zero seconds?

Seems like a bizarro world if we can't read email from our ship. :)

Stick a mailbox in the captains quarters please.

I think the whole mail thing needs to be replaced with a more up-to-date sci fi model, Im sure the Empire never received a letter from a friendly postman knocking on the door.

Comparing a Star Wars game to Santa is lame considering both are made up to begin with.

For someone who obviously likes sci fi, you sure lack imagination.

Feel free to come up with a reasonable explanation to why mailboxes naturally belong on a spaceship, if you're so imaginative. It's a fair comparison given the complete lack of logic involved.

---

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.