Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Legacy names, utterly disappointing with the info.

LaRue

Yeah, so because there's no forum search feature anymore I'm sure this is a repeat topic.

*** do you get rid of forum search; that's another issue.

Legacies, all good and gravy that they're coming later. Here's the current problem.

At 36 I went back to Carrick Station for my class quest; bam big ole legacy window pops up, saying pick a last name. Without thinking of asking some vital questions, and yes that's my fault, I picked one.

I type "McCool" into the box and hit submit.

I was lead to believe that what I typed would be my name, but no. My legacy name is "Mccool"

Furthermore, I then find out that:

1) I can't change the name once it's set.

2) I get an in-game email several hours later stating the legacy name applies to all characters on my server.

*** sticks, seriously???

Man how helpful that information would have been.... hrrrrmmm, may DURING/BEFORE having the legacy box pop up on my screen, hindering my actions before I could move on with any game play.

So now I'm stuck with a $h!T misspelled legacy name, that's going on all of my toons. JOOOOOOOOOOY /sarcasm.

Bioware, please do something about allowing renames at least before putting legacies into place.

Walking around as Jupiter Mccool..... really isn't cool at all.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, so because there's no forum search feature anymore I'm sure this is a repeat topic.

Legacies, all good and gravy that they're coming later. Here's the current problem.

At 36 I went back to Carrick Station for my class quest; bam big ole legacy window pops up, saying pick a last name. Without thinking of asking some vital questions, and yes that's my fault, I picked one.

I was lead to believe that what I typed would be my name, but no. My legacy name is "Mccool"

2) I get an in-game email several hours later stating the legacy name applies to all characters on my server.

*** sticks, seriously???

Man how helpful that information would have been.... hrrrrmmm, may DURING/BEFORE having the legacy box pop up on my screen, hindering my actions before I could move on with any game play.

So now I'm stuck with a $h!T misspelled legacy name, that's going on all of my toons. JOOOOOOOOOOY /sarcasm.

Bioware, please do something about allowing renames at least before putting legacies into place.

i dunno if i should laugh or feel sorry for you.

But you did want the name to be mccool. so i dunno, even as a regular name that doesn't sound very clever.

This is not the first thread I see that someone made about the issue that the legacy name is not shown as they wanted it. The game should really display how it will look before confirming, or it should allow to change it if it is not what one hoped it would look like (still don't get why BioWare don't allow us to use capital letters in names, have they ever seen how many Star Wars Names look like?).

i dunno if i should laugh or feel sorry for you.

But you did want the name to be mccool. so i dunno, even as a regular name that doesn't sound very clever.

Wasn't trying to be clever with the name; was just typing in some random junk so that I could get the legacy screen to go away.

Dang system should have been setup like choosing the AC specs at level 10. Plenty of fair warnings in that system about not being able to change... blah blah blah.

*** sticks, seriously???

This is a good example Bioware developers lack of forthought on any aspect of the game.

The legacy name rules are the same as the character name rules. You can't have capital letters in the middle of a name.

In any case, it's useless posting here. Create a ticket and ask them to change your Legacy name. It can be done.

The legacy name rules are the same as the character name rules. You can't have capital letters in the middle of a name.

In any case, it's useless posting here. Create a ticket and ask them to change your Legacy name. It can be done.

Good point on the ticket. I will attempt this.

However that doesn't change the fact that Legacy name information is unavailable when a character is prompted for it.

An easy way to change the legacy name would be a nice feature to have and with that I don't mean a paid service that costs 10 euro.

Also I would like a seperate surname and legacy name since some names just don't fit all races and I like to have more than one race option per server for my alts. For now I either switch it off or have the legacy name under the character name for alts that don't fit the surname.

Most of the legacy system is not in the game yet so I am kinda surprised they implemented the little that is ingame so badly. I laughed when I got that mail after I already chose my legacy name. I agree that this mail is just downright stupidly timed.

Good point on the ticket. I will attempt this.

However that doesn't change the fact that Legacy name information is unavailable when a character is prompted for it.

Yet somehow I knew about all this info before i chose mine 2 weeks ago. Its called reading/researching outside of the game.

Yet somehow I knew about all this info before i chose mine 2 weeks ago. Its called reading/researching outside of the game.

I agree that it is wise to do some reading/researching, but I think only a minority does it and it should not be needed. I usually prefer to find things out ingame because researching the game too well makes for less surprises and I like to be surprised, even if sometimes the surprise turns out to be not so nice.

Adding some extra warning before you are shown the option to choose a legacy name is not that hard and much better than expecting players to surf the web instead of playing the game.

I agree that it is wise to do some reading/researching, but I think only a minority does it and it should not be needed. I usually prefer to find things out ingame because researching the game too well makes for less surprises and I like to be surprised, even if sometimes the surprise turns out to be not so nice.

Adding some extra warning before you are shown the option to choose a legacy name is not that hard and much better than expecting players to surf the web instead of playing the game.

This x11ty billion.

What Toweliee suggested was lol terribad.

The part that pisses me off is they FORCE you to choose a "legacy" name.

Haven't deecided on a name or don't want to bother with it right now?

TOO BAD! Because we're going to shove the damn pop-up in your face every time you change zones ( very annoying when trying to get to/from your ship in spaceports ), turn around, fart, or sneeze wrong!

Because, once again, EAware touts the crap out of this game as being about CHOICE, but will be damned if they actually give you any.

Edited by Zorvan

I kept closing the window every time it opened, until I came up with a name.

I was half tempted to simply not pick one at all, but after a few sessions closing it started to get annoying.

Legacy names should be able to be changed via some special NPC in game for some crazy amount of credits, or via some reward from Bioware for staying with the game so long, or reaching a certain Legacy level.

Sad there is not a preview though, as that would have prevented the OPs problem.

The part that pisses me off is they FORCE you to choose a "legacy" name.

Haven't deecided on a name or don't want to bother with it right now?

TOO BAD! Because we're going to shove the damn pop-up in your face every time you change zones ( very annoying when trying to get to/from your ship in spaceports ), turn around, fart, or sneeze wrong!

Because, once again, EAware touts the crap out of this game as being about CHOICE, but will be damned if they actually give you any.

They really need to make the last name optional, esp. since it applies to all my characters and it may not make sense for some of them. I pretty much never use a last name in any game and I don't like being forced to have one.

Wasn't trying to be clever with the name; was just typing in some random junk so that I could get the legacy screen to go away.

Dang system should have been setup like choosing the AC specs at level 10. Plenty of fair warnings in that system about not being able to change... blah blah blah.

Since you obviously don't care about the legacy name itself, since you typed junk to get the screen to go away. Go into options, and hide your legacy name.

People like you are why the internet is in the state its in. "What do you mean do I want to accept this application writing to my registry, yes already, I just want to play elf bowling."

Later that evening someone creeps in your computer's backdoor because you spammed yes just to make the window go away.

Edited by Rikalonius

*** sticks, seriously???

Ask your friend to report your "bad" name to GMs. A free legacy name change :)

They really need to make the last name optional, esp. since it applies to all my characters and it may not make sense for some of them. I pretty much never use a last name in any game and I don't like being forced to have one.

Repeat after me. It is not my last name, it is my legacy name. It exists to tie all my alts together into common points pool that can later be used to purchase items that will benifit all characters on that server. I repeat, it is not your last name, though it can be used as such.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.