Hydian Way Blockade Bonus

SkybladeDarkstar

During the Hydian Way Blockade, there is a bonus mission (availible at level 44, I believe) to "Destroy Heavy Fighters", which requires you to shoot down 4 of the Plug-6 Heavy Fighters that show up during the mission. These are the ones that fly around for a bit, shooting backward, before leaving. Destroying them takes at least six missiles, along with blaster fire.

The problem is, there are only four of them. And the third one is on screen for scant seconds. For a long time, I didn't even realize it was on screen, I thought it and the fourth one were the same one, but eventually I got the third one to smoke before it drifted off down the lower left corner, and when the shiny new one popped up, I new it was a different one.

The third one is, as far as I can tell, impossible to kill. I've done everything I can to lock blasters and missiles on it every moment I can, and I have even saved my EMP Burst to use on it, and it still isn't on screen long enough to die. Am I missing something, or is this bonus mission impossible?

Could it be that you need a Proton Torpedo?

I cant be sure on this as I havent tested, but from what I guess the Proton Torpedo Launcher you can pick up for ship commendations pack quite a bit more punch than normal missiles as you only have four shots for it. That might be the solution.

There are more Heavy Fighters at the end, when you can shoot the mine layer. First they look all like the weak fighters, but some of them are Heavy Fighters.

This. During the final 10-20 seconds of the mission, at least one more heavy fighter will do 1 or 2 fly-bys among the myriads of regular fighters that show up.

It's the same for one of the Imperial missions as well.

Look for the twin lines off on the distant fighters when you are doing your initial charge at the mine layer. Most enemy ships have a single tail but you can see one to the right a short ways that has a twin tail. That is a Heavy fighter.

(Yes, when you get close to the regular fighters, they have a twin tail too, but not if seen from a distance)

• 3 years later...