Why oh why can I hurt other players if I am not PvP flagged?

_Darkstar

I appreciate it, but unless there's a comment from Bioware confirming the status of this issue before my sub runs out in about 7 hours, this game is done for me. Once I walk away, I won't be checking the forums in the future.

So you bought a CE order and played 1 month? o.O

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you bought a CE order and played 1 month? o.O

Yep.

This is an absolute deal breaker for me. If a mechanic that allows PvP players to force PvEers to flag is going to be allowed, I'll quit now before I'll keep playing.

I love this game otherwise, but just because I paid $150 for it doesn't mean I'm going to just "suck it up" and keep playing if something is THIS game breaking for me.

I don't demand they fix it "nownownow" but I do expect at the bare minimum at least SOME acknowledgement of an issue that has been reported for weeks with no reply from Bioware.

And I will as well, but until I have confirmation that this will be dealt with, I'm not going to fight a losing battle.

Even if Bioware comes and says that it's functioning as intended I will still keep reporting abuse every time it happens.

Even if Bioware comes and says that it's functioning as intended I will still keep reporting abuse every time it happens.

Well sure, as you should. Until I'm certain that those reports will actually result in action being taken, I'm not willing to pay a subscription. Once my current one runs out in about 5 and a half hours, if I haven't heard something by then, I never will.

Well sure, as you should. Until I'm certain that those reports will actually result in action being taken, I'm not willing to pay a subscription. Once my current one runs out in about 5 and a half hours, if I haven't heard something by then, I never will.

It's pretty offensive they haven't bothered responding to this - most players playing on a PVE server did not sign up for forced PVP mechanics. So that's most of their subs they're ignoring at this point.

Maybe it's just because I never got into MMOs past the first few levels before (I've played ever single one of Bioware's RPGs though), but I'm not sure I even understand why world PvP is allowed on PvE servers at all? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of playing on a PvE server? Why isn't it just kept to the warzones (which I very much enjoy, btw)?

I'm essentially treating this game as eight KOTORs in one, and it sure will suck if the end of these classes' stories are interrupted by people flagging me for PvP when I clearly don't want to.

In other words, why designate servers as PvP or PvE at all then?

Name an MMO where catching an enemy player in an AoE, even if you were targeting an enemy with it first, does not throw you into PvP mode. Go ahead.

That's just how it works. If they're flagged, anyone and anything can and will do damage to them. If you do damage to someone, you become flagged.

world of warcraft, yes i said it.

It's annoying, but changing it would break other things. If you could heal a friendly that is fighting an enemy player without flagging then you would be an invincible healer to that enemy player and it wouldn't be fair. He could only keep fighting your friend while you sit there and heal him without fear of getting killed by the enemy.

If you made it so that AOEs didn't affect enemy players unless you directly targeted them, then players would get extremely annoyed when trying to engage the enemy only to find that their AOE didn't work and is now on cooldown. These issues would be far worse than the occasional accidental PvP flag.

Maybe it's just because I never got into MMOs past the first few levels before (I've played ever single one of Bioware's RPGs though), but I'm not sure I even understand why world PvP is allowed on PvE servers at all? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of playing on a PvE server? Why isn't it just kept to the warzones (which I very much enjoy, btw)?

I'm essentially treating this game as eight KOTORs in one, and it sure will suck if the end of these classes' stories are interrupted by people flagging me for PvP when I clearly don't want to.

In other words, why designate servers as PvP or PvE at all then?

Exactly. Just say "there's no pve only server model" and let people just skip buying your game at all if they don't want to PvP. Worked really well for WAR, didn't it? :rolleyes:

It's annoying, but changing it would break other things. If you could heal a friendly that is fighting an enemy player without flagging then you would be an invincible healer to that enemy player and it wouldn't be fair. He could only keep fighting your friend while you sit there and heal him without fear of getting killed by the enemy.

If you made it so that AOEs didn't affect enemy players unless you directly targeted them, then players would get extremely annoyed when trying to engage the enemy only to find that their AOE didn't work and is now on cooldown. These issues would be far worse than the occasional accidental PvP flag.

No, you just don't let heals affect flagged players if you're not flagged. It's been addressed elsewhere in the thread, basically, other games have this correctly.

I honestly don't CARE what they break for PvP anyhow. At this point, I'd rather they just remove PvP from the game.

Edited by VorpalK

It's annoying, but changing it would break other things. If you could heal a friendly that is fighting an enemy player without flagging then you

The answer (as everyone has so patiently explained over and over in this thread) is to make it so skills depend on the caster - an unflagged player simply CANNOT heal, buff, or attack, or affect in any way, a flagged player (either friendly or hostile).

Problem solved, and every game of note is sophisticated enough to make this mechanic work properly on a PVE server.

WTB new coders?

Edited by lollie

No, you just don't let heals affect flagged players if you're not flagged.

I honestly don't CARE what they break for PvP anyhow. At this point, I'd rather they just remove PvP from the game.

That's true, but if you see an ally in trouble and you want to help quickly then it would really suck to have to type out /pvp or whatever you do to flag up so that you can help him. That would be FAR too inconvenient in my opinion.

That's true, but if you see an ally in trouble and you want to help quickly then it would really suck to have to type out /pvp or whatever you do to flag up so that you can help him. That would be FAR too inconvenient in my opinion.

No, it wouldn't.

I don't PvP. I'm not going to flag up and go help some guy who wanted to PvP. That's HIS problem.

If I wanted to do that I'd roll PvP.

If I want to flag, I'd rather it take a second than to be auto flagged like that.

Edited by VorpalK

Isn't hard to type /pvp :rolleyes:

Only takes half a sec - much less inconvenient than getting accidentally flagged for the rest of your game till you reach a safe spot etc.

Edited by lollie

Sadly despite saying that I was going to stick around earlier in this thread I have changed my mind and decided to leave (indeed I have cancelled my sub already) The sole reason for my leaving is this broken mechanic that effectively makes every server a pvp server, which rather defeats the purpose of me rolling on a pve-rp server as I wish to avoid open world pvp.

I may well reconsider resubscribing again should they every mend this exploit but while it is still present I won't be :(

The answer (as everyone has so patiently explained over and over in this thread) is to make it so skills depend on the caster - an unflagged player simply CANNOT heal, buff, or attack, or affect in any way, a flagged player (either friendly or hostile).

Problem solved, and every game of note is sophisticated enough to make this mechanic work properly on a PVE server.

WTB new coders?

No, I don't like this at all. I don't want to have to flag up to help an ally out. It's just my opinion but I'd much rather have to pay more attention to what I'm doing to avoid a blunder than have to go through an extra step before I can help my rapidly dying ally.

Isn't hard to type /pvp :rolleyes:

Only takes half a sec - much less inconvenient than getting accidentally flagged for the rest of your game till you reach a safe spot etc.

I disagree. I think the second this takes is very valuable time when you're in the thick of it and your outnumbered ally's fate could depend on that second. Especially because my instinct is to simply heal him, not to press enter and type /pvp, and press enter again, then heal him. Sounds quick and easy, but in battle time a second is a long time.

Edited by Chevex

I agree with the OP, I'm surprised TOR doesnt allow players to block unintentional PvP flagging as other recent games (e.g. Rift) have allowed an option to do this without any problems.

To me it's a key part of the design of PvE servers.

I agree with the OP, I'm surprised TOR doesnt allow players to block unintentional PvP flagging as other recent games (e.g. Rift) have allowed an option to do this without any problems.

To me it's a key part of the design of PvE servers.

An option would be great! Then I could choose to auto-flag when I help my allies and the rest of you could choose to take that extra step and flag up. Best of both worlds. This should happen.

I don't want to have to flag up to help an ally out.

You flag up to help a flagged ally out already...just that it's automatically done (and as you can see we don't want this). How hard is it for you (seeing as you don't mind flagging) to just run around with your flag permanently on, seeing as the half a sec it takes for you to type /pvp just too much hassle for you...

If you want to heal/buff PVP players all the time go play on a PVP server, or just have your PVP flag PERMANENTLY FLAGGED and let the rest of us have our flags off.

No, I don't like this at all. I don't want to have to flag up to help an ally out. It's just my opinion but I'd much rather have to pay more attention to what I'm doing to avoid a blunder than have to go through an extra step before I can help my rapidly dying ally.

Simple, then don't play on a PvE server

You flag up to help a flagged ally out already...just that it's automatically done (and as you can see we don't want this). How hard is it for you (seeing as you don't mind flagging) to just run around with your flag permanently on, seeing as the half a sec it takes for you to type /pvp just too much hassle for you...

If you want to heal/buff PVP players all the time go play on a PVP server, or just have your PVP flag PERMANENTLY FLAGGED and let the rest of us have our flags off.

You misunderstand me. I know that you flag either way. I don't want to have to take the time to flag up manually. I'd rather it do it automatically.

Like I said above, this is perfectly suited to an option allowing both of us to choose our preferred behavior. An option allows us to agree to disagree and both be happy.

Wait until you decide to be a nice person and rez a friendly player in the wild, only to discover that you're now flagged for PvP.

Particularly enjoyable since there is no way to tell if a corpse is pvp flagged.

There is a Republic or Empire emblem next to their character portrait if they're flagged PvP.