The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

i feel very weak.

UjellyTrollicus

ive gotten my vanguard up to 46, and i feel extremely weak when playing him.

i've tried every spec except full shield, and not one of them feels like its any good. compared to other classes my damage, except for volley just seems very low, and im not even particularly durable. i feel like im surgically attached to dorne, because if she were to be removed from my side i would probably die. i have gotten some use out of vik, but there is way more downtime when you use him, and he is a no go for golds.

im not even sure its just a high level thing because i've leveled several other classes into their high 30's, and they all felt like they had an easier time at that level than my vanguard did.

i know a lot of people think vanguards are way OP in pvp, but as far as PVE goes i just don't see it.

am i just bad? is full shield the wonder spec that i have not tried yet? does anyone else feel this way?

Sounds to me like you (in your own words) are just bad. I leveled as mostly shield and had no problems regardless of the companion I was using. I tried assault for a bit at 50 and the damage is easily on par with other dps classes. I cannot begin to help without knowing yer play style, expectations of the class and gear level however.

vanguard is my second character I have leveled. first was juggernaut. I have leveled my vanguard entirely with shield (primary) spec and felt very strong in both pve and pvp. so, try shield and see if you like it. probably you already know but be sure to keep your gun barrel and armor mods up-to-date. I'd also recommend switching crafting to biochem, it is really good. (note : in pvp you are not the tank you expect vs some classes.. be cautious, and use guard).

I leveled through the 30s on my juggernaut in a dps spec. he was constantly stopping to heal after every fight. the dps from vanguard in shield spec was about the same as dps spec in juggernaut. I switched to immortal (shield/tank equivelant in jugg) at 40. prior to that I had extreme trouble with any elites on him.

so compared to juggernaut at least, vanguard is way better. especially for elites. I can take even con or even two elites on vanguard. I almost took out a 1 level lower champion + 2 elites once too. couldn't even dream of that on jugg.

regards

Maybe it is your gear? I'm 44 and I feel completely fine. Yes, I also use Elara, but honestly, the game is designed for you to have a companion at all times. What do you expect?

I'm Assault spec myself, while I know my dps isn't perfectly up to par with a pure dps class, I still can put out the numbers pretty well and I also am less squishy than said pure dps classes.

I'd say make sure all your gear is on par, if not that, perhaps it is your ammo management or some such thing. Either way, I don't feel like this class is any kind of weak.

am i just bad? is full shield the wonder spec that i have not tried yet? does anyone else feel this way?

The key to the class is ion cell, good modded gear (get oranges, then keep them updated with commendations) and go up the shield tree getting the damage skills until you have, at least, the skill that improves the damage of ion cell. Then you can mix in a second tree for more damage, but that should improve how the class plays.

Other than that, elara is good for survivability when your gear is too low, and you can use aric or 4x for damage when your gear is good.

Maybe it is your gear? I'm 44 and I feel completely fine. Yes, I also use Elara, but honestly, the game is designed for you to have a companion at all times. What do you expect?

I'm Assault spec myself, while I know my dps isn't perfectly up to par with a pure dps class, I still can put out the numbers pretty well and I also am less squishy than said pure dps classes.

I'd say make sure all your gear is on par, if not that, perhaps it is your ammo management or some such thing. Either way, I don't feel like this class is any kind of weak.

did you try shield spec at all while leveling? I have been thinking of giving assault or tactics a go for variety, but fear it will be weaker vs. elites.

particularly my thought was I would try the variety when I reach 40 as the shield 31-point ability seems lackluster compared to the other two.

Edited by ururururu

The only thing I can think of with the information you've provided me is that you were trying to play all the specs that were not tank and then trying to survive like a tank.

If you want to play a dps vanguard more power to you but don't think that the heavy armor alone will keep you up in a boss fight as the primary tank. If you want to have the tenacity of a vanguard tank then go full shield and then get something else. But if you want to dps your butt off then I'd suggest going with one of the other dps trees and getting a good tank companion geared.

Try the robot what is it 4X or something and gear him up to be your ranged tank. Or you can slum it and go with Tanno Vik. I just personally have leveled as a full shield vanguard and haven't had any issues with inadequacy.

did you try shield spec at all while leveling? I have been thinking of giving assault or tactics a go for variety, but fear it will be weaker vs. elites.

particularly my thought was I would try the variety when I reach 40 as the shield 31-point ability seems lackluster compared to the other two.

I did not. Went Assault from the get go and haven't had any trouble. Although, I do more than just questing to level (PvP, Space missions and a few FPs here and there), so I was usually a couple levels ahead of my questing area, so that helped a little.

Honestly, elites are pretty easy for me to handle. I never could do bosses solo like I could on my Sage, but I just got a group for them in that case, wasn't a big problem.

The key to the class is ion cell, good modded gear (get oranges, then keep them updated with commendations) and go up the shield tree getting the damage skills until you have, at least, the skill that improves the damage of ion cell. Then you can mix in a second tree for more damage, but that should improve how the class plays.

Other than that, elara is good for survivability when your gear is too low, and you can use aric or 4x for damage when your gear is good.

This is the way I am playing. Granted I am only 35 but I feel like a God when I have Elara out. Even the damage is not bad. I leveled a Sage first and I have to tell you that it is SO much easier on my Vanguard.

I did not. Went Assault from the get go and haven't had any trouble. Although, I do more than just questing to level (PvP, Space missions and a few FPs here and there), so I was usually a couple levels ahead of my questing area, so that helped a little.

Honestly, elites are pretty easy for me to handle. I never could do bosses solo like I could on my Sage, but I just got a group for them in that case, wasn't a big problem.

Perfect. They are also easy for shield spec.

With shields being worthless in pvp, and presumably against bosses that use elemental damage, I'm going assault or tactics.

WOOT time for some fun!

i honestly dont get this "i feel like a god when i have elara" crap at all. im level 38 and have leveled as both shield and assault. and NEVER have i felt like a god with her out. and her gear is updated constantly.

infact i just died pulling 3 normal guys and 2 silvers.

everytime i fight elites i have to pop all my cool downs and use medpacks most the time. im definitely not seeing this "god mode"

i honestly dont get this "i feel like a god when i have elara" crap at all. im level 38 and have leveled as both shield and assault. and NEVER have i felt like a god with her out. and her gear is updated constantly.

everytime i fight elites i have to pop all my cool downs and use medpacks most the time. im definitely not seeing this "god mode"

Do you have her healing stance activated?

Healing stance is your friend. Without it elara isnt very good. Also, 3 trash and 2 strong, yeah, even in healing stance that can take you and elara down if you dont keep aggro off elara. That set up there kills me far more often than any elite. You have to pay attention to whose shooting who.

I kill elites using just hammer shot with Elara out. Yes it takes time and even using all your abilities, it still takes time to kill things with 20K+ hp, but you could give elites 100K hp and you should still outlast them with Elara. (Champion however are a wee bit tougher)

Shield spec is the way to go. I dont think you can do enough dps in the other specs to survive, the damage mitigation loss isnt made up for by maybe 100-200 extra dps points.

Dps may kill mobs faster, but I find you spend longer healing between each fight. Id rather have the fight last longer and walk straight in to the next fight with minimal delay. Id go nuts doing some of the grind missions if i had to stop and meditate after every fight.

Are you gathering things up to AoE? Pull with Mortar Volley, use LOS and Harpoon to get them into a bunch, Pulse Cannon, grenades...that's how I try to make up for my rotten single-target damage.

ive gotten my vanguard up to 46, and i feel extremely weak when playing him.

i've tried every spec except full shield, and not one of them feels like its any good. compared to other classes my damage, except for volley just seems very low, and im not even particularly durable. i feel like im surgically attached to dorne, because if she were to be removed from my side i would probably die. i have gotten some use out of vik, but there is way more downtime when you use him, and he is a no go for golds.

im not even sure its just a high level thing because i've leveled several other classes into their high 30's, and they all felt like they had an easier time at that level than my vanguard did.

i know a lot of people think vanguards are way OP in pvp, but as far as PVE goes i just don't see it.

Corellia really makes you want to slam your hand in a car door. 46/7 - 50 were tough for me, 2 strongs in a pack could leave me with little or no HP even with Dorne. I'm willing to bet you are trying orange quests. PvP for a level and go back. Also when I hit 50 I went to the last planet and got my face ripped off. So I pvp'd for a day, got some gear, did a HM FP and went back. It was easy.

Do you have her healing stance activated?

yep healing stance activated and sometimes ill mortar volley, the CD is too long for me to actually care about using it half the time. doesnt help that volley is just so much worse than death from above simply cus of the time it takes for it to actually start.

its sounding like some people mistook "doable" with "god like"