Why Limited EGA Information Makes Sense.

ruktuim

They don't want to give us hard numbers on when we will get in because it handcuffs them. Biowares doesn't want to get pinned down by giving hard information. It's the reason they didn't give us dates for early access. For the same reason we won't get information telling us how long to expect between waves, how many will be in each wave and when to expect "our" wave.

People are upset now, can you imagine if they were promised a day and it was pushed back, it causes more problems than it fixes. Giving a window 13 - 19th allows them to adjust as needed.

Giving hard numbers will build expectations they maybe crushed. Instead they are simply giving us a window of expectation. Windows of expectation are given in all professions that have variables that can change dates/times.

It's like when you have a Cable/AC/Refrigerator/Ect guy out to your house. He doesn't tell you he will be there at 2:23 pm. He says he will be there between 12 - 5pm. It gives a window of expectation, but allows for him to be later or earlier depending on if his other jobs run long or not. This is no different, our window is Dec 13 -19th, because this is dealing with as many as a couple million people.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Leaving everyone in the dark is worse.

You say that now because your in the dark. Your the same type of person who would be on here saying they want their money back because they were promised early access on the 15th and it was pushed back to the 16th.

It's hard to win in these situations. You have to manage expectations, by telling people when they can expect to be able to play your building expectations which can be crushed.

Edited by ruktuim

You make it sound like they have any idea what they are doing :D

I'm sorry, I was level headed and not fanatical. I looked at it too objectively. I'll try again.

Zomg?!?! Huge fail biofail! I payed money, you owe me. I want to play right now or I'll cancel! Huge fail, worst lunch ever!

I joke, but some people get really into this. I think people lose sight of reality.

Putting out something - anything! - is better than everyone sitting around speculating. At least those of us who ordered late can have a rough estimate. Or at least, a "no earlier than" date. I'm guessing I could get in anytime between Thursday and Sunday - pretty big timeframe there, eh? If I was told "the earliest you will get in is Saturday morning," I could adjust my schedule accordingly.

Yeah, God forbid we pin down Bioware and make them tells us when we get to play their game. lol

Just kidding, BW, you know I love you. Invite plz? ;)

You have a window in which you know you will get to play. December 13th - 19th, it's not like it's a surprise. The reason for the window is because of the adaptive nature of MMO launches.

This is exactly why they are doing what they are doing. Also people who say that they are left in the dark clearly arent paying attention.

Ive been on the forums for maybe 30min now and by reading through them im able to grab a general idea that around about the 27-28th of July made it in yesterday. By the information we have been given we can expect that instead of just 6-7 days of pre-orders making it in today we can probably expect between 10 and 30 days of pre-orders.

However as the OP has stated by giving these terms that anyone with half a brain can follow they can adjust for better or worse performance. All these people whinging/B****ing and moaning about needing to get in now and losing customers are exactly the same people who would quit and rage on here about a server crashing, or having to wait in a server queue.

Most people also seem to have forgotten that they have never guaranteed any specific amount of access and the advertisement simply stated *Up to 5 days*. Now by my count we are still 6 days out....so we are already in a better situation than we were lead to believe.

So please, allow bioware to focus on running this game, not on making a bunch of whingers and rages feel better.

You do have a time frame, Dec 13th - 19th. It's now down to 14th - 19th. People just aren't satisfied with that time frame.

It's only a 5 day window. I think people are looking for an exact day, which builds expectation more than they want to.

You can't please all of the people all of the time.

You say that now because your in the dark. Your the same type of person who would be on here saying they want their money back because they were promised early access on the 15th and it was pushed back to the 16th.

It's hard to win in these situations. You have to manage expectations, by telling people when they can expect to be able to play your building expectations which can be crushed.

They should have published a minimal schedule then tried to beat it.

That's exactly what happens with your service engineer analogy, the company doesn't got "an engineer will be with you in up to 5 days" and leave it at that (because naturally you'd be raging).

No info at all is just daft and causing themselves problems they could have easily avoided (much like the PvP bug for that matter).

On a scale of 1-10, their performance in launching this game has been about a solid 4

Lack of communication and information is more then half the importance, yet they failed this entirely.

Im sorry, but i dont think you understand just how much communication has been given. Just because they dont have 300 people on here replying to every single post. If you check the developer tracker aswell as the stickied threads, coupled with the posts i have seen throughout random threads there has been alot of response.

Simple fact YOU WILL NOT GET EXACT INFO. Why, because this information is not only detrimental to expecatations it can also be exploited.

The info has been given, it is not the responsibility of BIOWARE to quickly reply to each thread and try and give some running update on every player through the door.

That's exactly what happens with your service engineer analogy, the company doesn't got "an engineer will be with you in up to 5 days" and leave it at that (because naturally you'd be raging).

No info at all is just daft and causing themselves problems they could have easily avoided (much like the PvP bug for that matter).

That's exactly how service people work. They don't give you an exact time, 2:25 pm. They give you a window of expectation, 9 am - 4 pm. Biowares is doing the exact same thing, Dec 13th - 19th. The window is larger, because it's being done on a much larger scale. The "engineer" has maybe 3 days before you that may run long or short. The times aren't set in stone because things can change, it's the same for an MMO launch.

1. They did post a timeline, up to 5 days. By the fact that people are in with 7 days is beating it.

2. They have already posted information on known bugs and that they are dealing with it. NO game will tell u exactly what the bug is and or how to replicate it, and how they dealt with it. They will simply tell you they are investigating and possibly notify when it has been rectified. Bioware has done this. Also if you take the time to browse the forums there is plenty of feedback from Bioware, just dont get cranky cause they havent all stopped to inbox u every step of the way.

That's exactly how service people work. They don't give you an exact time, 2:25 pm. They give you a window of expectation, 9 am - 4 pm. Biowares is doing the exact same thing, Dec 13th - 19th. The window is larger, because it's being done on a much larger scale. The "engineer" has maybe 3 days before you that may run long or short. The times aren't set in stone because things can change, it's the same for an MMO launch.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying they give you a rough idea and a minimal time (they they are pretty sure they can beat).

They don't say "we'll be along to fix your fridge in up to 5 days" and leave it at that, leaving you to wonder when exactly in those 5 days they will appear to fix your fridge.

It wouldn't matter what schedule they published (in the end they HAVE to everyone in before it goes Live) it could be as conservative as they like, but it would be something as opposed to nothing.

^ this, and always this. No matter how much I support Bioware's decision for EGA - not informing people enough is the worse they could have done.

- Elim

Im sorry this really baffles me, by what definition are you being left in the dark, they have already notified that it is being sent in waves and that there was 5 waves yesterday. They also notified people when the last wave had been sent and when the next waves would start.

To me leaving in the dark would be simply leaving out all of the above and having nobody have any idea anywhere what was going on.

^ this, and always this. No matter how much I support Bioware's decision for EGA - not informing people enough is the worse they could have done.

- Elim

It's a matter of opinion, they gave us a window of exception and have been informing us when waves are going through. They even roughly outlined that the first waves pre-order dates will be closer together and than they will be spaced out farther.

I think people want exact dates on when they are going to get in. Exact dates don't make sense, explained in my opening post. :)

1. They did post a timeline, up to 5 days. By the fact that people are in with 7 days is beating it.

2. They have already posted information on known bugs and that they are dealing with it. NO game will tell u exactly what the bug is and or how to replicate it, and how they dealt with it. They will simply tell you they are investigating and possibly notify when it has been rectified. Bioware has done this. Also if you take the time to browse the forums there is plenty of feedback from Bioware, just dont get cranky cause they havent all stopped to inbox u every step of the way.

1. Again that is not a "time-line", it's a "(purposely) vague statement", they are nothing like the same thing.

2. The PvP bug was known about in Beta, it really should have been addressed (the staggered launch made it much worse too).

- Elim

If you believe this, then you lack foresight. I truly and honestly am not trying to put you down nor anyone else who believes the same, and I will actually apologize in advance if it comes off that way.

Your statement would be true IF AND ONLY IF they knew FOR SURE that they could deliver without a single hiccup the days we would hypothetically be given as our start day. But some part of you (collective "you" that is) has got to know that this isn't possible. There are way too many variables involved here for them to predict with any level of certainty. So unfortunately for those of us who still aren't online, leaving us "in the dark" so to speak is still better for them, because to be quite honest; there is likely a very much smaller number of people complaining and raising an uproar than there would be were they to give us more information in advance that they might end up having to back out on.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying they give you a rough idea and a minimal time (they they are pretty sure they can beat).

They don't say "we'll be along to fix your fridge in up to 5 days" and leave it at that, leaving you to wonder when exactly in those 5 days they will appear to fix your fridge.

It wouldn't matter what schedule they published (in the end they HAVE to everyone in before it goes Live) it could be as conservative as they like, but it would be something as opposed to nothing.

You missed the entire point. Biowares has given us a rough idea, December 13th - 19th. The repair person also gives a rough idea, 9 am - 4 pm.

The size of the windows changes based on the scale of the people involved. 5 people = 9 am - 4 pm window. 2 million people = 6 day window.

The reason for the windows ie because of the nature of the jobs. The depending on unpredictable variables a "hard" time or date can change. It's why the repair person does say I'll be there at 2:22 pm and it's why Biowares isn't going to say you will have access on December 16th at 3:00pm.

Edited by ruktuim