BioWare: "most" people aren't having SWTOR performance issues

Raggnarok

This is strange bec my i5 2500k @4.5GHz runs at 50% while my GTX460 runs at 99%. This can be a reason of GPU difference. I wonder if it is same with other AMD GPU and Nvidia users...

That is because your GTX 460 is a way slower than a 5870 and because your CPU is a total overkill, especially in regard to your graphics card.

BioWare can't be seriously expecting the players to have a Sandy Bridge with 4,5Ghz core frequency to run this game.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Raggnarok,

As is the case with any PC game of this scale, we will always have players who experience performance issues. It is impossible to have the game run optimally on 100% of machines due to various factors (lower end machines, ISPs, not meeting minimum specs, and more).

The reality is that, based on the amount of forum posts and CS ticket volume in relation to the total player base population, most people aren’t experiencing performance issues. With that being said, we’ve been keeping a very close eye on forum posts from the players experiencing these issues and we are actively working to address these concerns.

We thank you for your concerns, and please be aware that we are indeed constantly working to improve the game for everyone.

Or "many" people are simply putting up with the performance issues, like my wife and son, without putting in a CS ticket or posting here about it (consider my post adding two players with performance issues if you'd like).

Don't assume that the numbers of "forum posts and CS tickets" that you have represents the entire population of folks with performance issues. Some folks just figure they'll wait it out since Bioware "says" they're working on improving things. The amount of trust Bioware is burning with issues like this surprises and dismays me.

However, I will pass on to my wife and son that they must put in CS tickets in order for their voices to be heard thus adding to the already overwhelming volume of CS tickets (I mean, really, days to respond to tickets? DAYS?!) for all the good it will do. It's not like it will get fixed any faster.

Btw, my son plays Battefield 3, Dragon Age 2, Deus Ex HR, Rage, Portal 2, Batman Arkham City, etc. just fine on his machine tyvm. It's not his machine. It's Bioware's client.

Edited by Altairien

How do they know if we have performance issues or not? Do they watch our computer screens?

Maybe they think that everyone with performance issues would write a ticket, and since they got not from more than 5% ticket regarding the performance of the game, they assume it can'T be that many... Maybe we should write every day a ticked about our performance issues to tell BioWare to work harder... but I think many players won't do that, they simply stop playing the game.

I run an old E8500 which I haven't bothered to o/c (yet) together with a single GTX 5600TI Twin-Razr II GFX card from MSI. While I've chosen to not enable AA (PvP performance is important to me) and turned off Vsync (on by default, peeps aware of this?) I run SWTOR at 1920x1080 and have a steady framerate of 60-90 fps, 60 fps being the minimum.

So, whenever I read about all these super quad cores and SLi solutions struggling to achieve 20 fps I gotta assume the problem is on the user end.

Edited by darthtoph

I run an old E8500 which I haven't bothered to o/c yet together with a single MSI 5600 Ti Twin-Razr II GFX card. While I've chosen to not enable AA + turned off Vsync (on by default, peeps aware of this?) I run SWTOR at 1920x1080 and have a steady framerate of 60-90 fps, 60 fps being the minimum.

So, whenever I read about all these super quad cores and SLi solutions struggling to achieve 20 fps I gotta assume the problem is on the user end.

Or, a setting that doesn't play well with others.

We don't have all the bells and whistles enabled, and I am just like you..running it an 1920x1080 with great framerates.

Like I stated earlier, it's possibly a graphical switch that they have enabled, or the level of detail they have set on slide bar.

I had the same issue in Warhammer.

My system was more then enough to take it, but it kept having issues.

Eventually found it was one of their graphical setting switches in preferences.

I took it off, and the game ran like a champ.

It took them over a month to figure it out and get it fixed so everyone could start using that switch again.

It wasn't that I couldn't handle that graphical setting, it was something was wrong in the code of that feature within the game.

Edited by Fraxture

I run an old E8500 which I haven't bothered to o/c yet together with a single MSI 5600 Ti Twin-Razr II GFX card. While I've chosen to not enable AA + turned off Vsync (on by default, peeps aware of this?) I run SWTOR at 1920x1080 and have a steady framerate of 60-90 fps, 60 fps being the minimum.

No you're not. Don't talk crap.

Go to the fully populated fleet or to Ilum with 30 or 40 players fighting each other. You won't have 60FPS minimum with your E8500, that's for sure.

Maybe they think that everyone with performance issues would write a ticket, and since they got not from more than 5% ticket regarding the performance of the game, they assume it can'T be that many... Maybe we should write every day a ticked about our performance issues to tell BioWare to work harder... but I think many players won't do that, they simply stop playing the game.

Most times a customer won't bother to complain. They will simply walk out of the store, never to return. This is the scenario bioware should be concerned about. If they 5% confirmed, triple it! Because according to all studies done on complaints. This is the way of the world. Its more like 15%, 10% don't bother saying a word, they just leave.

Adding my support for the original post. Many of my guild members with high end quad core machines are having regular FPS issues on medium settings. We haven't been filing tickets because we all know it's a new game and just assumed you were aware of this incredibly common issue. I will make sure we all file tickets and encourage all other players to do the same.

Most times a customer won't bother to complain. They will simply walk out of the store, never to return. This is the scenario bioware should be concerned about. If they 5% confirmed, triple it! Because according to all studies done on complaints. This is the way of the world. Its more like 15%, 10% don't bother saying a word, they just leave.

unless they are already taking that into account and using it as sort of a polling.

It's one of those things we will never know.

Allthough you could assume people who have the high end rigs are going to put in a ticket more then someone with a medium low rig.

But again it's impossible to know the actual number.

It has nothing to do with your video card. Shadows kill your CPU performance because TOR is terrible at utiliziing multiple cores.

But you guys wouldn't know this because you're just shooting from the hip and buying whatever BW tells you. You're perfectly content running on "medium" settings and getting good performance. Hi-res textures aren't in the game at all, AA is disabled, AF is 8X rather than 16X, you can literally watch grass grow around you as you move, and no one runs shadows on High because it kills performance.

But there's nothing wrong with TOR's optimization. It's all in the terrible systems of the users.

This! They literally KILLED everything that is high.

Out of 95% people who don't have graphic issues, 50% has turned shadows and bloom off.

And yet, RIFT has better graphic, better engine and with old HD5670 I could play it with everything maxed. RIFT, having almost no lore, or is nowhere near SWTOR lore-wise, is so much better optimized and having so much better graphic.

Then I'm asking myself a very good question: at least half of 95% playerbase has turned off shadows and bloom and yet they come here and claim that "everything runs smooth" and "there is nothing wrong with this game". It makes me LOL.

I've personally witnessed quite few "casual" people (the ones who don't know their comp specs if you ask them and such) playing some games with <30fps and when asked how'd the game feel, they'd just be happy about it. Not blaming anyone, just trying to remind you that there's different kind of people with different view on things like this. Of course you see well things you've trained your eyes to see for years and years. Those people being happy with their performance, even if the performance wouldn't be so great objectively, are kinda the ones you don't hear about when trying to make up some precise statistics.

Allthough you could assume people who have the high end rigs are going to put in a ticket more then someone with a medium low rig.

If we assume that, then BioWare stating the number of customers having issues as being around 5% (with most of that number using low spec PCs) is fabrication, and/or cannot be based on the number of tickets received.

Edited by lollie

unless they are already taking that into account and using it as sort of a polling.

It's one of those things we will never know.

But again it's impossible to know the actual number.

I know I won't make another ticket. Took 4 days to get 'Update your drivers'. It is what it is. Crappy performance for some, great experience for others. But I will certainly NOT go out and buy a new machine, when mine runs everything else great. Sorry Bioware, gone are the days of people buying new machines to play pc games. This is why the consoles are so popular. This is why wow was so popular vs eq2 at the time. Developers really need to stop producing software that acts more like R&D for them, then a finished product. I will never play the 'buy a new computer' game with a software developer again. If I start getting 12 titles a year I 'cannnot' enjoy, then I will. But they need to understand, if you want people to play your game, engineer a game most people can play. In a world were people are taking 50% pay cuts, and tough times all around. Sorry but it was very short sighted playing to assume EVERYONE would rush out to buy a new IS5+ chip to run a single game. May other mmo's failed because of this, to assume SW is immune to this factor... well it reeks of ego maniacs calling the shots behind the office walls.

Edited by Mannce

well the problem finding what cuasing the issues pretty big field. let say we have 1000 computers and 90% are fine. the last 10 % might be having issues due to ahrd ware unpar, compatilbity issues, software, conficts in software, ISP,etc.

so unless we corbon copys, 100% same software and hardware it going to take a fair time for them to gather what causing the problem.

to date the only realy errors i see , was in aldran a shadow bug wiht tree and once a blue moon a green line in the air. neither game breaking.

Edited by DarkCarnage

There are likely thousands of players having performance issue with the game.

Thousands out of millions that are just fine.

.1% (POINT one percent) is an amazing achivement on the part of Bioware.

Of those having trouble, the vast majority either...

1) don't actually have "modern" rigs, they just though they did four years ago and like to complain or

2) think they have a "high-end" rig but have dinked around with it to the point that it's unreliable (knowing how download graphics drivers does not qualify one do so) and they just like to complain, or

3) they just like to complain.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that anyone that ACTUALLY has a PROPERLY CONFIGURED modern computer, is having any issue playing this game.

1) don't actually have "modern" rigs, they just though they did four years ago and like to complain or

2) think they have a "high-end" rig but have dinked around with it to the point that it's unreliable (knowing how download graphics drivers does not qualify one do so) and they just like to complain, or

There is absolutely no reason to believe that anyone that ACTUALLY has a PROPERLY CONFIGURED modern computer, is having any issue playing this game.

Wise words.

CAN YOU please explain then what is wrong with my computer!?

It's i7, 8GB RAM, NVidia GTX560Ti.

I have fresh installed Win 7 64 bit with updated every damn driver on computer.

Can you explain then why I have problems with this game?

Here's one. Your post is insulting fanboi. I know exactly what I'am doing. The code in this game sucks... plain and simple.

...There is absolutely no reason to believe that anyone that ACTUALLY has a PROPERLY CONFIGURED modern computer, is having any issue playing this game.

1) You're making numbers up that even BioWare doesn't dare to reduce estimations down to.

2) You are ignoring data supplied by people right here in front of you.

This makes you illogical, and prone to falsehoods, and so anything you say must be ignored.

Edited by lollie

I know I won't make another ticket. Took 4 days to get 'Update your drivers'. It is what it is. Crappy performance for some, great experience for others. But I will certainly NOT go out and buy a new machine, when mine runs everything else great. Sorry Bioware, gone are the days of people buying new machines to play pc games. This is why the consoles are so popular. This is why wow was so popular vs eq2 at the time. Developers really need to stop producing software that acts more like R&D for them, then a finished product. I will never play the 'buy a new computer' game with a software developer again. If I start getting 12 titles a year I 'cannnot' enjoy, then I will. But they need to understand, if you want people to play your game, engineer a game most people can play. In a world were people are taking 50% pay cuts, and tough times all around. Sorry but it was very short sighted playing to assume EVERYONE would rush out to buy a new IS5+ chip to run a single game. May other mmo's failed because of this, to assume SW is immune to this factor... well it reeks of ego maniacs calling the shots behind the office walls.

but they don't need that to play it. I am running it with an old Pentium 4 and a laptop with an I5 moble.

Sure the P4 is 7 years old but i get 30-40 fps during pve and aroudn 20 fps during pvp.

like its been stated many times not everyone is having the issues.

People with the exact same specs are having different results which only makes it that much harder to pin down the cause.

If everyone was having the same issue it would be easier to fix.

Wise words.

LOL, he's complaining about complainers, but has no technical information at all about his 'assumptions'. F A N B O I

Wise words.

I can easily figure it out for you.

Just send your computer to

PO BOX 793

My son plays Battefield 3, Dragon Age 2, Deus Ex HR, Rage, Portal 2, Batman Arkham City, etc. just fine on his machine tyvm. It's not his machine. It's Bioware's client.

LOL, he's complaining about complainers, but has no technical information at all about his 'assumptions'. F A N B O I

Absolutely. People turn off half of options in game, and come here to claim "it's working for me", "it's smooth". Heck! Yes, but I want to have smooth game with high textures on high-end computer, because this computer IS capable of doing it and there are other games that prove IT IS capable of doing it.