BioWare: "most" people aren't having SWTOR performance issues

Raggnarok

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So quit playing it.

There, problem solved.

You don't like the performance, don't play.

Wow, that was hard!

Seems to work just fine for me and a couple of thousand other people around the planet.

I have a dual core Dell Latitude with 4 gig of ram and a crummy onboard Intel video card.

Perhaps my 20mb UP/DOWN internet connection gives me an advantage.

Yeah, works fine for you and a couple thousand. Out of million+ of people who bought the game? LOL - your own math looks bad.

BioWare: Oh, look - our game is working great for 5000 people. Well, 1% of our total sales is enough to say that there's not a problem. Forget the other million+ people who have issues - as long as those 5k are happy.

In the video game industry, you have to please the majority, not the minority, which you are obviously part of.

Yeah, works fine for you and a couple thousand. Out of million+ of people who bought the game? LOL - your own math looks bad.

BioWare: Oh, look - our game is working great for 5000 people. Well, 1% of our total sales is enough to say that there's not a problem. Forget the other million+ people who have issues - as long as those 5k are happy.

In the video game industry, you have to please the majority, not the minority, which you are obviously part of.

Actually according to Bioware you are the minority.

This is a factual statement: I am running swtor on a year old prebuilt HP. Quad core, 4g ram

The only upgrades I've made: 600w psu, radeon 6750

I am running flawlessly on max setting and max res. You people can not sit there and claim its on biowares end. If it were I would be incapable of running the game.

There's no problem as long as you have at least a 4 core and good enough parts to go with it. Perfect example being my recent upgrade from 2 to 4 cores, as well as some other much needed upgrades.

You need the proper computer to play this without very noticable slowdowns and FPS loss, even on lowest possible settings for this game.

I actually use a Dual core Intel system.... with no issues

However there are fundamental things people don't realise with their own systems.

Alot of people neglect the hardware they are using, they just pile components in without checking compatibility, voltage or lag, in 90% of the computers I've seen people have piled in memory to fix issues, memory with high lag times, high voltage requirements, or the wrong amounts and have created bottlenecking effects within the system, this is generally nothing to fault Bioware for, people need to get a clue before posting this crap.

So is BioWare calling me a liar?

AMD Phenom X4 965 @ 3.4GHz

8GB DDR3

ATI 5770

I can't run the game at 1600x900 on the lowest settings with shadows disabled without 30~ fps. The game looks substantially worse than anything else on my computer too. I run Battlefield 3, World of Warcraft, Batman, etc. on High graphics with better framerate. The worst part? SWTOR looks ugly to me.

This game simply doesn't give you the framerate your computer should be producing. As such, it's a poorly optimized game.

8GB DDR3

ATI 5770

I can't run the game at 1600x900 on the lowest settings with shadows disabled without 30~ fps. The game looks substantially worse than anything else on my computer too. I run Battlefield 3, World of Warcraft, Batman, etc. on High graphics with better framerate. The worst part? SWTOR looks ugly to me.

This game simply doesn't give you the framerate your computer should be producing. As such, it's a poorly optimized game.

Ya I mean it has been out for like 3 weeks why havent the optimized it yet? I mean its just clicking a button says "optimize" right? Also not like everyone's computer is different we are all the same. Also all games are the same so if an 8 yr old mmo runs on my pc a new mmo should also run on my pc. Single player games are also the same as MMOs. So if a single player game runs on my machine that means all games should run flawlessly on my pc.

So quit playing it.

There, problem solved.

You don't like the performance, don't play.

The marginalization of users experiencing performance issues continues. You know, if I didn't know any better, I would think you worked for BW. Alienating their customer base is usually their forte.

Also, im not convinced that someone running on a dualcore Dell laptop with an onboard card should be offering advice on gaming or computer performance in general. :rolleyes:

I actually use a Dual core Intel system.... with no issues

However there are fundamental things people don't realise with their own systems.

Alot of people neglect the hardware they are using, they just pile components in without checking compatibility, voltage or lag, in 90% of the computers I've seen people have piled in memory to fix issues, memory with high lag times, high voltage requirements, or the wrong amounts and have created bottlenecking effects within the system, this is generally nothing to fault Bioware for, people need to get a clue before posting this crap.

Derp, whats a PSU? Also, what are drivers and where do I buy them? /sarcasm

This isn't the first computer I've built, broski. Been assembling, testing, and even USING PCs since they had turbo buttons. Cool story though. As another poster said in this very thread, BW and the posters on these forums seem to think we are barely evolved man-apes who recently discovered modern computing and the interwebs. Sorry to burst your bubble, but some of us actually do this for a living. :p

Bull crap Ohlen. I've lost track of the numbers of players with extremely high-end machines complaining about exactly the problem described in the article.

So Bioware's stance is simply going to be to deny the issue exists and foist it off on "low-end machines?" My i7 with 12 gigs of RAM and HD6970 would like a word with you, Mr. Ohlen.

Well said, good sir.

8GB DDR3

ATI 5770

I was running the game on an Intel Core2Duo 2.66 with 8gb of ram and an XFX 5770 card with no issues at all.

I still say that the problems that people are having is due to having an unstable OS, I would bet to say if you took the machine, reformatted it and loaded Windows from scratch the machine would run just fine.

8GB DDR3

ATI 5770

Why can't you realize that the bolded part means nothing without more information about your machine?

I would bet a month's salary that Bioware techs could order your exact parts, assemble them, install the game, and it would run without a single problem.

Initially when I installed the game (from discs) It would not run at 1920x1080. I had to re-install using the client on the website. Since then, no other issues except for the character ability delay, which unfortunately, is so bad it's enough for me to quit although I love every other aspect of the game.

This is a factual statement: I am running swtor on a year old prebuilt HP. Quad core, 4g ram

I am running flawlessly on max setting and max res. You people can not sit there and claim its on biowares end. If it were I would be incapable of running the game.

That's the thing - some people run fine, some people don't. It doesn't matter whether you pay $2000 or $200 - BioWare has not OPTIMIZED this game. Two people can use the same system (like a couple of my guildies), and have different performance experiences. Why? Because BW made the same flaw DICE did when BC2 came out - they didn't properly optimize before launch. DICE fixed the issue within a couple weeks, and most issues were resolved. It's been a month nearly, and we still have the optimization problem. I know TOR is much larger-scale in many ways than an FPS, so I don't mind waiting a bit longer - but you can't tell me that MOST people aren't having issues.

The marginalization of users experiencing performance issues continues. You know, if I didn't know any better, I would think you worked for BW. Alienating their customer base is usually their forte.

Also, im not convinced that someone running on a dualcore Dell laptop with an onboard card should be offering advice on gaming or computer performance in general. :rolleyes:

Derp, whats a PSU? Also, what are drivers and where do I buy them? /sarcasm

This isn't the first computer I've built, broski. Been assembling, testing, and even USING PCs since they had turbo buttons. Cool story though. As another poster said in this very thread, BW and the posters on these forums seem to think we are barely evolved man-apes who recently discovered modern computing and the interwebs. Sorry to burst your bubble, but some of us actually do this for a living. :p

And before you start with that, I Do this for al iving myself and i know exactly what I'm talking about.

Actually, yes we can and they have already admitted there are bugs in the engine. Now please don't write nonsensical posts that just take up space.

Based on how few people have posted about the game running flawlessly and how low the server populations appear, I'm estimating the game is only working well for about 5% of the subscriber base. Hopefully BW will now assign their performance team to this issue.

How is it well said? BW is right about this.

Really? I might be guilty of being a incompetent computer tech afterall -_-. I'll try to "un****" my machine, see if the game isn't much of a problem. Although, I would like to point out Bioware has stated that "U.I." lag is a serious issue.

Initially when I installed the game (from discs) It would not run at 1920x1080. I had to re-install using the client on the website. Since then, no other issues except for the character ability delay, which unfortunately, is so bad it's enough for me to quit although I love every other aspect of the game.

If your sig to believed, your rig is absolutely over the top for this game, but did you optimize the intel ssd in the right way? I am not asking for this game specific but for the other game related problems that that ssd seems to be having?

And before you start with that, I Do this for al iving myself and i know exactly what I'm talking about.

If this is the case, I would encourage you to assume that those people experiencing issues (the majority of them anyway) have already completed the first 2 pages of the troubleshooting application problems handbook. If it were a voltage or component compatibility issue, a) It would be a lot easier to diagnose (and fix); and b) It would have presented prior to running the Old Republic.

Unless you are insinuating that TOR actually causes voltage disparities or undiagnosed incompatibilities between hardware, I fail to see the point or relevance.

I upgraded to 600w and 560ti for skyrim and after i put in the AA = 12 code to the .ini I'm running pretty much flawless other than imperial fleet. And it's not too much of a drop off there but def not smooth like the rest of the time.

@OP and others with similar problems:

If you have a quad core, a semi-modern somewhat mainstream graphics card with recent drivers and performance issues, something is wrong or quirky on your machine.

First thing to try is setting res to your monitor's max. This actually helped my laptop on beta.

If that doesn't do the trick set everything to rock bottom. Still slow? probably not your graphics card.

If perf is smooth on low settings, observe performance as you increase settings one by one. If it's just one setting killing your performance, that will give you ammo for googling to figure out if your make/model gfx card might be a lemon or need a driver update/rollback.

But don't be pissy about it. It's impossible for a new product to work perfectly on every possible build out there right out of the gate.

I'm one of those people that doesn't have any performance issues and my system is i5, 16gb ram and a GTX460 with 600W power supply (I believe it's 600W, not at home to check) but either way the performance on my game only gets affected if I turn the shadows on, once it's off the game plays smoothly.