The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Remove Lightsaber Color Restrictions

HundeThutt

True, but neither is there really an argument for not having color restrictions, other than people wanting certain colors without having to have the alignment requirement. It's just cosmetic.

Frankly I don't care about the color restrictions, yellow is the best color anyway.

you just gave the reason, its just cosmetic it shouldn't be restricted.

also the onus is generally on the side of restriction to prove its necessary not the other way around.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the lore the reason all sith lightsabers are red is because they use synthetic crystals. They do not have the crystal "quests" the jedi do.

Wrong, it is common but it is definitely not the rule.

Red natural crystals exists, and Sith would also use natural crystals.

it doesn't make sense if you go by the lore. At least not for the sith. A sith would use anything that would make him stronger. As such, if there was a green crystal that would somehow make the weapon better, a sith would use that one. The red colored crystals used by sith was mostly a tradition and not because the red crystals had affinity to the darkside.

Affinity to dark/lightside doesn't explain why my imperial agent cannot use blue and green crystals. He's not a force user and it wouldn't matter to him either way.

it doesn't make sense if you go by the lore. At least not for the sith. A sith would use anything that would make him stronger. As such, if there was a green crystal that would somehow make the weapon better, a sith would use that one. The red colored crystals used by sith was mostly a tradition and not because the red crystals had affinity to the darkside.

Affinity to dark/lightside doesn't explain why my imperial agent cannot use blue and green crystals. He's not a force user and it wouldn't matter to him either way.

It explains it about as well as it explains why a non-force user would have "darkside corruption" change their face, which is to say it explains it not at all.

It explains it about as well as it explains why a non-force user would have "darkside corruption" change their face, which is to say it explains it not at all.

Honestly, I find it absolutely silly. Darkside corruption should only be visible on force users.

not only does your lightsabre colour show which side you on ( all, if not most times) but it's also a big part of how star wars is, lore wise...

have u seen darth maul with a green lighsabre, or obi-wan with a red ?? :o

i think you guys should just accept it....while knowing that ur Jedi can use a red lightsabre, if u keep doing "evil" things, the lightsabres that say "restricted to tier 1 light or above" ( or something like that ) can be used by you...

as well as the many MANY other lightsabre colours out there...

heres a bid of a jedi consular using a cyan lightsabre

( along with some useful tips )

and u can get purple lightsabres through pvp ( or so iv heard )

Wrong, it is common but it is definitely not the rule.

Red natural crystals exists, and Sith would also use natural crystals.

actually no cannon (ie extended universe books) have explained the red crystals. they ARE synthetic. Korriban did not have crystals when the original dark jedi that became the first lords of the sith (because then the sith were a warlike primitive esque (no major space flight or at least nothing outside of their solar system if they did have space flight)) only had the natural crystals. Korriban did NOT have any crystals, and the few sith that did have force sensitivity that became the dark jedi apprentices needed a crystal for their sabers so they created them. because they infused dark side energies with the crystal they found the synthetics were red. Now these crystals were stronger than normal.

this is why the jedi avoided the red crystals, it was thought that one that would use a crystal because of the extra power of a red one as on the path to the dark side.

in this game there is the ability for the empire characters to become "light side" and republic to be dark side. with this poetic license leads to a slight shift in how the lore is interpreted. thus the alignment restrictions. also in a game like this you do not have the freedom you have with a true rpg. the restrictions seem to be fair with the poetic license that was taken in the design of this game to allow the freedom to choose light or dark answers without depending on what side you are on.

so you want to have no restrictions of color crystal? then republic can only choose to be good and empire evil. whats a better restriction? (ok it's a bit over simplification but it shows the point that there was a line to be drawn and it was)

Darth Freki

PS: please tell me OP you didnt think that anakin actually would keep his saber? all lords of the sith in the core movies had red blades. most in the books do as well. it is a right of passage for all sith to make a red blade (I draw that from drew k's book "Path to Destruction")

I agree that color restrictions are a bad idea. I've said in numerous threads that, instead of restricting the color for some arbitrary nonsense reason, they should add prefixes that determine it's alignment. For example, a Benevolent red lightsaber crystal could require lightside, while a Vile red lightsaber crystal would require darkside.

Or simply not have restrictions at all.

Canon has shown us that there's not some kind of magical barrier that prevents a jedi from using a red lightsaber, or a sith from using a blue one. The color of the crystal does not dictate it's atunement to the force, the crystal itself does. I really do hope that they remove these restrictions one day, as they just don't make any bit of sense and serve only to limit players for no reason.

I am quoting Lucas.

When I said, "light side = blue/green"

"dark side = red"

Straight from Lucas' mouth. Watch behind the scenes EP 1 or 2 when Samuel L Jackson wants to pick his sabre color.

What Lucas says is G Canon. Meaning its Law. Meaning no other word can trump it, and everything else is "fan fiction and EU"

In movies 1-6. You do not see different colored crystals. Other than Purple which is Mace's.

The colors blue/green and red. The movies, not books, not wookiepedia are considered G canon.

If you want to screw up the Lore with this game, by all means.. go ahead its not like Bioware hasn't done it in KOTOR 2.

Ahsoka has a golden short lightsaber and it's Lucas Approved TM

XD

According to the lore the reason all sith lightsabers are red is because they use synthetic crystals. They do not have the crystal "quests" the jedi do.

Not only do non-synthetic red lightsaber crystals exist and are used, but the reverse goes for blue and green as well. It's where Luke got the crystal for the first lightsaber he actually built himself. Luke's RotJ lightsaber uses a synthetic green crystal.

Edited by Nichos_Ketra

Not only do non-synthetic red lightsaber crystals exist and are used, but the same goes for blue and green as well. It's where Luke got the crystal for the first lightsaber he actually built himself.

I have never read or seen anything that said anything about natural red light saber crystals. please provide source for this i wish to make sure to read this.

I know that all colors but the red are naturally occurring, and can by synthesized but the synthesized crystals burn out fast. as do the red synthetic, but i have not heard of natural crystals of red.

Darth Freki

I'm amazed no-one has pointed out yet that the starship weapon colours are reversed. so much for evil=red huh?

true.. i hadn't thought of that... but yes republic vehicles fire red bolts, and empire green. but unlike the game, it is not determined by a color crystal that gives the weapon a bonus and a color... in the movies it was easier to differentiate the sides and what color weapon fire on the screen... that's my thought.

Darth Freki

true.. i hadn't thought of that... but yes republic vehicles fire red bolts, and empire green. but unlike the game, it is not determined by a color crystal that gives the weapon a bonus and a color... in the movies it was easier to differentiate the sides and what color weapon fire on the screen... that's my thought.

Darth Freki

You differentiate the sides based on the armor they wear, not the color of their weapon. Since even with the stupid restrictions, jedi can use red sabers and sith can use blue, it just makes the process far more cumbersome then it needs to be.

Darth Freki

Doesn't explain the color limitations on non-sabers though ;)

No red for you! (Unless you make a big enough gun)

Edited by flooble

There's no such thing as a lightsided sith.

A "lightsided sith" is in fact a grey jedi

Not true. A "light Sith" is exactly that.

A "dark Jedi" isn't automatically a Sith. They're just dark Jedi. Sith and Jedi are philosophies. Well, and Sith is also apparently a race... but eh.

One can take the dark options and not be Sith... they could just be a little more ruthless, or whatever. Just as a Sith could take the light option, preferring to not waste resources or murder needlessly.

My trooper's not a Sith... just because she's Dark. She's just an ******e.

Edited by tehmoose

So lightsabers were all going to be blue originally? that makes a lot of sense somehow. Thanks for the awesome detailed info.

Actually, originally they were all going to be white I believe, before they decided to start rotoscoping them in the film.

In Episode IV, the lightsaber props were mechanical, with a spinning reflective blade. It was designed to reflect light into the camera and over-saturate the film, making them appear bright white. But the effect didn't work as well as they hoped, and there were moments where you could see it as just a reflective rod. This prompted them to rotoscope over them, which in turn gave them the option to explore colors.