The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Ion Cannon Threat Generation Broken-Found Workaround

Heliotrus

Ok so in hard modes wed be pretty good until we wiped. Then my guys would start pulling aggro off me. I found out how BW built ION canon stance. Its basically a debuff applied to other classes around you. You need to refresh it even if its still up.

Hoping they fix this. I can imagine alot of consternation for new powertech tanks.

Thanks.

Edited by Heliotrus

Ok so in hard modes wed be pretty good until we wiped. Then my guys would start pulling aggro off me. I found out how BW built ION canon stance. Its basically a debuff applied to other classes around you. You need to refresh it even if its still up.

Hoping they fix this. I can imagine alot of consternation for new powertech tanks.

Thanks.

Perfect, just perfect.

Perfect, just perfect.

I wouldn't suggest getting your panties in a twist quite yet. Are there ANY other people that have noticed this? Before you simply assume that this random person is correct in their assessments you might want to try running some tests yourself, not to mention reading other threads (if there actually are any) on the subject.

Quite frankly, unless I'm seeing other threads about how threat for tanking stance is broken (because it applies a debuff to other people around? Huh? That's not what the tooltip says at all and I can't determine why ANYbody would build the ability like that instead of using a simple modifier like anybody with a brain would do) I think I'll just assume that random thread is random.

If it is as this person says, then I'm sure that it'll be discovered from the hordes of raiders and end game people doing content. Thus far though....nothing but for this one random thread. So no need to go all gloom and doom quite yet, hmm?

Greetings-

I've been doing this randomly as I use one of the other canisters when questing with my wife then switch to Ion for group/flashpoints. I always put in my Ion canister right as we all group up and/or zone in as I would any other buff.

The times I've had Ion canister up already I had a harder time holding threat. There might be some validity to this.

Regards,

Androvis

Hm... this is the first I'm hearing of this, I wonder if it's true. OP, where did you get that info from about how the threat generation works? Are you sure that's really how the ability is set up?

It did seem like I've been having more trouble holding onto threat than I should. Looks like I've got something to test when I do Cademimu tonight....

I tested it in game. I was questing just prior to getting in the dungeon. Then i applied ion cannon with eveyrone around the starting area. We wiped and I was first to run in after wipe.

Ion canon is still active through death. Threat was **** for most of rest of dungeon i was taunting a bunch. Then i thought *** is wrong so i started putting my buffs up again.

Then pulls were much better. I changed nothing with rotations and made sure my dps were not changing their rotations.

My only deduction is that applying ion cannon affects not only myself but those around me.

I haven't toggled my "stance" since getting the rocket punch = proc talent, have tanked every hm multiple times since and never really had an issue with threat, So i highly doubt this is the case, seems more likely to be in your head :) Am kind of tempted to test though, then i could slack more ! but how to do so isn't that simple... Edited by Mtiytc

It may not be a "Debuff" to the rest of the group?

It could be just that you were not getting your Threat Modifier buff that you should be getting. (Basically the equivalent of giving your team a debuff).

This has happened before in WoW when Paladins would have to drop Righteous Fury and reapply it so it would work properly.

It would be a lot easier to notice if they had a program like Omen or something to help out because then you could actually see what kinda TPS you are having.

I've had ion gas cylinder on since 14 when I got it, and I can almost always pull aggro off of a dps/healer with only a move or two. It's working fine.

If you really want to see if it's broken, you need a much more pointed and controlled test, not just 'we wiped the first time and then we didn't.' A lot of things could have changed between pulls.

;)my threat is always crap and im constantly taunting but i neva refresh the ion as its always active, i will also test tonight and refresh it and see if it makes a difference.

however i think the OP may be wrong even if this is the case, i doubt its a debuff applied to people around you, its prolly a matter of the buff sign not removing on death and the actual buff is not on unless you refresh it.

so basically we might have to treat it like any other buff and refresh it on ress etc even it the screen is saying we got it, just refresh it to make sure.

this is also another reason why we NEED combat logs, untill we get them its so hard to test anything or see if anything is working propperly

Edited by snowmon

I tested it in game. I was questing just prior to getting in the dungeon. Then i applied ion cannon with eveyrone around the starting area. We wiped and I was first to run in after wipe.

Ion canon is still active through death. Threat was **** for most of rest of dungeon i was taunting a bunch. Then i thought *** is wrong so i started putting my buffs up again.

Then pulls were much better. I changed nothing with rotations and made sure my dps were not changing their rotations.

My only deduction is that applying ion cannon affects not only myself but those around me.

I don't see how that proves anything. Didn't you just say you wiped after you applied a fresh Ion Cannon in the starting area? Why did you wipe? It sounds like you were having problems with threat in both cases.

I tested this out myself last night and I noticed absolutely no difference in my threat generation. I think the OP is wrong, either that or he's bugged and his Ion Cylinder isn't working the way it should.

Edited by DarrkLore

I've noticed that upon death, you have to re-cast your cylinders before they actually have an effect. I'm assuming that's because they're treated like buffs which are lost on death.

Not a big issue, just something to keep in mind I guess.

If that is the case then they shouldn't be toggled "on" after death. I don't think I have touched my canisters for many levels. I have not really had issues with threat (except on multiple mob pulls when they are super spread out).

The proc's are still definitely going off. The only thing I notice with Ion Gas Cylinder is that the damage seems much weaker than the tool tip states. I might try messing with this tonight and see how it goes.

The proc's are still definitely going off. The only thing I notice with Ion Gas Cylinder is that the damage seems much weaker than the tool tip states. I might try messing with this tonight and see how it goes.

Yeah I've seen quite a few other people talking about that. Apparently there is some kind of issue with its damage. I wonder if Bioware is looking into though...