Help with my fps and game performance please.

DekarSisk

I have 4GB, and I frequently check my free RAM. There's always 0.5-1.5 GB free in the resource monitor while i'm playing SWTOR.

Considering that funds are likely finite, between an additional XX$ on RAM vs vid card, the increment on the vid card is likely to bring the most additional fps.

Edited by Kytea

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, everyone thank you for your help and input into this matter. I can see that I have several areas to upgrade and am hoping to be able to do this over the next few weeks. My goal is to be able to keep playing with increased quality each week and hopefully runs this game without lag and hiccup I dont even care if its on the lowest graphics setting.

That being said I am thinking of upgrading in the following order as to allow myself to keep pve while I wait for better quality for pvp.

700w ps

MD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition Deneb 3.5GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core

GTX 550 Ti (Id like to keep this under 200 dollars so this seems like a good choice. I do not game on my comp with the exception of swor so im really just looking to run this game properly. If you think a different card would be a better deal please suggest.)

I will also purchase another 4gb ram during this process.

Note: Do I need to worry about any of these upgrades not fitting within my computer casing or anything like that? I noticed some of the graphic car suggestions looked to be wider or "two tiered" than the one I currently have and im worried it will not fit within my computer.

AGAIN, thank you all for the help. Im sure others are reading this and are also finding some of these tips to be useful as ive run into a lot of people having similar problems.

Relax and wait (probably, for a VERY long time), until Bioware finds time to improve the actual graphics engine, as well as properly optimize their code.

I honestly laugh at "complex game" notes, as the actual game visuals are somewhat on par with KOTOR1/KOTOR2, which are years old now, and could be run on any low-end PC with Windows XP.

People just fail to realize that Bioware has been chasing release dates and marketing here (ahem, Dragon Age 2, yes, Im looking at you), instead of making the proper game engine.

This is so fun, to see all those comments about power supplies, MOAR memory, better CPU and voodoo rituals to make this game run any better.

Please stop the ******** and address the actual problem, which is Bioware developers not being doing their jobs properly and rushing the game as it is. Probably not even as much developer, as it is game publisher's fault.

But seeing 2 fps inside Imperial Fleet makes me want to slam some graphics engine coder's head into monitor nonetheless. Even being rushed and all, how could you people execute this so poor and unprofessional?

Relax and wait (probably, for a VERY long time), until Bioware finds time to improve the actual graphics engine, as well as properly optimize their code.

I honestly laugh at "complex game" notes, as the actual game visuals are somewhat on par with KOTOR1/KOTOR2, which are years old now, and could be run on any low-end PC with Windows XP.

People just fail to realize that Bioware has been chasing release dates and marketing here (ahem, Dragon Age 2, yes, Im looking at you), instead of making the proper game engine.

This is so fun, to see all those comments about power supplies, MOAR memory, better CPU and voodoo rituals to make this game run any better.

Please stop the ******** and address the actual problem, which is Bioware developers not being doing their jobs properly and rushing the game as it is. Probably not even as much developer, as it is game publisher's fault.

But seeing 2 fps inside Imperial Fleet makes me want to slam some graphics engine coder's head into monitor nonetheless. Even being rushed and all, how could you people execute this so poor and unprofessional?

I couldnt agree with you more Ansa but from my experience with MMOs the longer you wait to start the harder it is to enjoy the game and become involved in the community. Im sure Bioware knew that gamers want to get a jump on other gamers when it comes to MMOs and with that in mind knew people would pay a premium for a produce even if it wasnt optimal ($60 release price). Also, if they pushed it back and had to compete with other upcoming mmos this year they would certainly lose some of those initial sales. Point is I do feel a bit cheated but I also knew my computer was going to need upgrading in the near future.

Alright, brace yourself because im about to drop some knowledge.

This, my friend is the black arts of SWTOR FPS. So, when you open your game, go into the graphics settings and select the highest graphical preset, and hit apply. then, once your screen is all crazy and your FPS is -30, go back into the graphics settings and set it back down to the lowest preset. Don't ask me how, and don't ask me why, but when i did it, it quadrupled my FPS, same with my brother, my guildies, and some random strangers on general chat.

Thank the Wizards of Reddit.

This, my friend is the black arts of SWTOR FPS. So, when you open your game, go into the graphics settings and select the highest graphical preset, and hit apply. then, once your screen is all crazy and your FPS is -30, go back into the graphics settings and set it back down to the lowest preset. Don't ask me how, and don't ask me why, but when i did it, it quadrupled my FPS, same with my brother, my guildies, and some random strangers on general chat.

you're a wizard harry!

That would be because of

If you installed prior to 5:00AM CST on January 4th, 2012, your graphics will display as "Low" even if actual in-game settings are higher due to automatic preference detection.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=5533

Lol this game is going to be then end of me. So Ive tried the high-low graphics move before and have had 0 results. Im now trying different resolutions while doing the high-low switch to see if that helps. So far what ive found is that when i set everything to hi i actually get better fps then when its low. I just played a warzone on high and it ran better than it ever has on low.

Id like to know why Bioware hasnt posted any troubleshooting info on this topic and seems to simply be ignoring a topic that consumes half of general chat forum and 90% of the customer service forum. The more i mess with this the more it makes me want to just not play at all.

I have an alienware laptop. Dual core 4 GB and dual SLI GTX 8800. Running on all high settings. I have been sick or the last week, so I have been playing at all times.

When I started on a low pop server, I never had any lag. About 40 max at peak. I moved to another server (standard). Everything is always fine when the pop is low (80 or below). When it goes up to 140+, it does what the OP said.

During work hours, I never have a problem, but in the evening, the lagging starts. Seems to be a server load issue.

My two cents.

First of all, make sure you have the latest drivers for your GPU (the game is pretty badly optimized for certain systems, and new drivers can make a huge impact). Second, check your NVIDIA settings and make sure you're not forcing anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering etc.

4GB of RAM should be sufficient, upgrading to 6 or 8 may give a slight performance boost, probably nothing drastic.

I'm not sure about the CPU, but on a quick glance it seems you should be able to play the game on your rig just fine, at least with minimum settings.

Also common "last resorts" are to run cleaning programs (like CCleaner) and anti-virus/spyware scans, update any and all drivers, or re-install your whole OS, especially if that hasn't been done in a while. Windows likes to get clogged up every few years. Make sure to install motherboard and GPU drivers afterwards, and use Windows Update. These days it's a pretty fast thing do to, especially when installing from a flash drive (use google for instructions, they're pretty simple). Yesterday I re-installed my OS on a new SSD drive (yay!) from a memory stick, took less than 10 minutes.