Developers : Where Did You Set The Bar?

TooleySR

I have a serious question for the developers that I would hope they would like to answer.

So far I am enjoying the game (mid-30s) and I have played MMOs since the days of UO, Asheron's Call, EQ1 and spent quite a few years in WoW.

Each game had it's own list of strengths and weaknesses - however it always seemed that the newer MMOs learned from the mistakes of MMOs past.

The question: When looking at what FEATURES helped make other MMOs a huge success, where did you set the bar for release?

My personal opinion was that you set the bar very low.

The voice acting is great.

The gameplay is enjoyable.

My concern mostly lies around the game feeling like a single player RPG with a few other people tossed in occasionally. The UI seems like an early 1990s MMO - lacking the ability to move it around, resize things, etc. Heck the UI in the forums seems more advanced than the one in-game.

I want this game to be successful for a long time. I just hope that you listen to your players and make the changes that will appeal to the larger population. Give them some of the things that they're used to seeing in MMOs over the last few years with an SWTOR twist on it.

/end

They ship a shell, solid enough to launch and play. The game evolves from that shell.

This is not news. Right?

But don't you think that first impressions are very important? The game -is- fun ... but it has a LOT of things to work on and implement to even be on par with the features of games launched years before it.

They ship a shell, solid enough to launch and play. The game evolves from that shell.

This is not news. Right?

I think you are talking above their heads on that one. Seriously, they miss the reality of what a launch is and how a game evolves. They want it all NOW. Like kids slamming a fork on a table and screaming they want more food.

------------------- This is the bar

| This here is

| WoW hitting

| the bar.

|

| |

| |

| | This here is SW:TOR failing to hit the bar by bringing nothing new to the

genre except voice.

|

|

|

|

|

\/

------------------------

This is the bar for whining, which SWTOR hit and surpassed months ago. When the free month ends for the ones who likely never intended to pay (or couldn't get mommy and daddy to pay for them), SWTOR will go back above this bar.

I think you are talking above their heads on that one. Seriously, they miss the reality of what a launch is and how a game evolves. They want it all NOW. Like kids slamming a fork on a table and screaming they want more food.

I don't think he found the bar. If he had found the bar, he would have gotten some food.

How is this game any less group oriented than WoW in the leveling phase? In WoW most people just grind quests till they hit 85 then put on the raid shackles. What makes this game "seem" like a single player game is leveling is ACTUALLY FUN unlike the borefest of other games.

From a marketing perspective - you always want to find a way to make a better product than your competitors. Look at any other industry that millions of people use - automobile, cell phones, computers .... there are certain things that you just come standard with these items.

I'm of the belief that these standards help define an industry. If a company fails to adhere to these standards its either because they didn't care, they enjoy doing things half-*****ed or they are just blind to the obvious.

| This here is

| WoW hitting

| the bar.

|

| |

| |

genre except voice.

umm range tant socal point and coice's in instance that changes loot/ boss and out come of the flashpoint

cover system for IA/ smuggler

ummm so your logice fails when you dont realize this in implment into the game

| This here is

| WoW hitting

| the bar.

|

| |

| |

genre except voice.

When did WoW get bonus quest objectives? Mini-games (space flight)? Useful companions? Regular cutscenes?

Edit: Or XP that is cross-toon?

Edited by eadnams

umm range tant socal point and coice's in instance that changes loot/ boss and out come of the flashpoint

cover system for IA/ smuggler

ummm so your logice fails when you dont realize this in implment into the game

What language are you speaking? Really, what you said makes no sense, aside from cover system for IA/Smuggler, which has already been used in a MMO.

Is it too much to ask for a MMO that's released in 2011 to have features from 2011 and not 2002? Really? After all the time spent in development, all the feedback we left for them in Beta, watching other games evolves, they couldn't come up with something NEW and INNOVATIVE aside from Voice Overs which induce aneurysms after the first playthrough?

From a marketing perspective - you always want to find a way to make a better product than your competitors..

Uhm, no. Marketing is about making the customer believe they're making a better product than the competitors.

When did WoW get bonus quest objectives? Mini-games (space flight)? Useful companions? Regular cutscenes?

Edit: Or XP that is cross-toon?

Oh, sorry, I forgot that adding in a "bonus" quest of kill 60 more things is new and innovative when your quest objective is to kill 40 of them.

TOR would have been so much better off without this pathetic mini-game they call space combat, all the time spent developing would have been better spent anywhere else in the game.

My Hunter's pet in World of Warcraft or Rift is more useful then any "Companion" and they know how to keep their damn mouths shut and not talk for 9 straight hours until I want to stab them.

Oh wow... cutscenes.... they haven't been in MMOs before....

Hey there... Guild Levels would like to have a talk with you, they give you benefits and not just a last name.

Oh, sorry, I forgot that adding in a "bonus" quest of kill 60 more things is new and innovative when your quest objective is to kill 40 of them.

TOR would have been so much better off without this pathetic mini-game they call space combat, all the time spent developing would have been better spent anywhere else in the game.

My Hunter's pet in World of Warcraft or Rift is more useful then any "Companion" and they know how to keep their damn mouths shut and not talk for 9 straight hours until I want to stab them.

Oh wow... cutscenes.... they haven't been in MMOs before....

Hey there... Guild Levels would like to have a talk with you, they give you benefits and not just a last name.

Ah, so you just ignore the things in TOR that WoW doesn't offer because you personally dont like them, got it. Have fun in WoW. :)

There's so many people in denial.

Do you guys REALLY think this game will have legs over a leveling gimmick of voice-acting? What is the MATTER with you guys??

Some people like story above all else, you know, the people with taste...

You're right. Game is sux.

Game doesn't suck, it almost sucks, but it's not the game we were promised not expected. WoW laughs at SW:TOR in every way. The developers, the players, the community. All SW:TOR talks about is WoW, not a single person in WoW mentions SW:TOR. It's not even a pimple on WoW's butt.

The sooner people realize this, the sooner people can realize this game will not be any type of MMO king (lol), and will most likely, as with all hyped WoW-killers.. go the way of those same games. Rift, Aion, Warhammer, Eve.. all failed MMO's.