PC help

xTranceone

I've never been much of a techie, and in the past I've had my buds help me on my PC, however none of them live close anymore.

I can play the game "fine" - No real choppiness or fps drops, except some little spikes here and there in PvP.

I'm currently running a

5870 card

8 gigs 1600mhz DDR3 RAM

i7 920 @ 2.67GHz

I just recently upgraded my RAM, and I was curious which is the bottle neck for the remaining fps drops? When I'm talking FPS drops im meaning running everything on High, and it spiking from 60-40-50-40-60. It also happens when for instance while I was questing and going into an area underground, the screen would stutter a tad.

Should the hardware that I'm currently running play this game flawlessly, and perhaps theres an issue somewhere else?

Or is it time to upgrade to say a 6850, if I want to play this game at max and smooth.

Any suggestions on video cards would be amazing :)

Your machine is fine. There are just optimization issues that need to be worked on... and btw - faster memory isn't really going to help you unless you are a serious over-clocker.

from Tom's...

"...Since you don’t want to be performance-restrained by limiting memory speed, fast memory may be necessary to achieve maximum system performance. This scenario is only valid for hardcore overclockers, however, as the benefit of fast memory over slower has become very small if the other components and parameters remain unchanged."

To put it into perspective.... we are talking like less than a percent difference in most cases. ;)

The primary bottlenecks are always going to be GPU/CPU.

Edited by Rasstavad

I can't dig through the whole general area for the other topics on this, but I have the same general concern. My machine at current runs it fine on low settings for around four hours before I start getting heat issues, but I'd like to upgrade on the budget, and I was wondering if this would be a good rig to play SWTOR on at least medium, maybe some high options with Shadows turned off?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229285

So I wouldnt notice much of a difference upgrading to a 6850? Atleast not a difference worth upgrading for?

Pretty competititve when it comes to PvP and even the slightest skip is really annoying lol.

Would it have something to do with the type of card it is? I've heard some people really complain about Radeon's on this game, or is that just people complaining to complain

So I wouldnt notice much of a difference upgrading to a 6850? Atleast not a difference worth upgrading for?

Pretty competititve when it comes to PvP and even the slightest skip is really annoying lol.

Would it have something to do with the type of card it is? I've heard some people really complain about Radeon's on this game, or is that just people complaining to complain

No, your card is actually faster than the 6850.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

general rule of thumb, if you are wanting see a noticable difference you need to move up at least 3 tiers.

This game just needs to be optimized better - and I'm sure they are working on this along with the memory leaks that many are experiencing (above poster).

edit: took out epeen system specs. :rolleyes:

Edited by Rasstavad

I can't dig through the whole general area for the other topics on this, but I have the same general concern. My machine at current runs it fine on low settings for around four hours before I start getting heat issues, but I'd like to upgrade on the budget, and I was wondering if this would be a good rig to play SWTOR on at least medium, maybe some high options with Shadows turned off?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229285

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

You can try this site out and mess with configurations. They build some pretty awsome systems and have a good reputation for quality. I'd go with an i5 2500K (OC'able) and at the very least a GTX 560 ti... although if you stick to the upper range of gaming GPU's found on the page I linked previously you shouldn't go wrong. But I'd expect you would be able to configure a system with the above specs (minus monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc) for about 700 if you are careful.

Edited by Rasstavad