Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Feedback on AMD 7970 Video Card

primediusx

I got my card yesterday, and got it installed.

I was upgrading from a 5870. I briefly tested Eyefinity (running 7680x1600, 3x30" monitors) it was smoother than my 5870 (obviously).

I didn't get to play around with it too much, was a busy night, and I ended up going to sleep early.

If there is anything specifically anyone wants me to run, I can try tonight, and report back.

• 2 weeks later...

I get any where from 60-110fps on everything maxed (and i even boost AA more with catalyst)

The one thing i'd like to mention is my temps are running at 72c-82c on my One 27" monitor.

I need to know what other peoples average temps are with maxed settings.

I might have to return this card for another, the temps seem high for not running eyefinity...yet

P.S i have the Gigabyte reference 7970, and these are my temps at Stock settings.

I have fan running arounf 40-50% anything louder than 50% is pretty dang loud

And my card is in the Coolermaster HAF-X case right beside the side Fan.

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1311/cooler_master_haf_x_001.jpg

Edited by Keepsix

I am on a 6970 running eyefinity 5760x1080 in the fullscreen(windowed) option. I have everything high except shadows which are disabled.

My FPS varies between 55-85, it would be higher if I went to true fullscreen, but Having it set to fullscreen(windowed) makes it much quicker to alt tab, which is helpful in a game that doesn't allow steam overlay.

Honestly, without the FPS meter you'd never know the FPS was below 80 at any point, it looks good enough as it is.

don't you mean ATI? or did AMD start making cards?

EDIT: just looked it up. It is AMD. Odd that they claim they can display 4k video with it. If that's true than it should have no trouble with TOR. I don't believe it though. I can see needing a new card for 4k when the monitors start hitting the market.

Edited by warpass

I get any where from 60-110fps on everything maxed (and i even boost AA more with catalyst)

The one thing i'd like to mention is my temps are running at 72c-82c on my One 27" monitor.

I need to know what other peoples average temps are with maxed settings.

I might have to return this card for another, the temps seem high for not running eyefinity...yet

P.S i have the Gigabyte reference 7970, and these are my temps at Stock settings.

I have fan running arounf 40-50% anything louder than 50% is pretty dang loud

And my card is in the Coolermaster HAF-X case right beside the side Fan.

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1311/cooler_master_haf_x_001.jpg

TOR seems to run hot for a large majority of the high end systems even though its graphic options are horribly bad. I have a 590 GTX and found if i actually forced some of the things BW had turned off my card got a 8 degrees reduction. i went from low 90's to mid to low 80's. ive got PCI fans at 40 percent and Afterburner scaling with my card temps. i crack the door on my case which has vents and fans everywhere to reduce it even more . TOR is not optimized nor do think it will be until they update the engine.

My PC's 4 years old, but because it's built around an i7 920, there's really no point in upgrading yet, since that CPU is still pretty sweet.

However, my graphics cards (dual 4890's) were getting a little dated. But I can't justify putting a $500-$700 video card in a 4 year old machine.

So, I just bought me a pair of 6870's for $300 on NewEgg. I think those should give me a substantial performance boost.

I have a 7970. I have issues but I don't know if it is the card or just the game. I get stuttering, fps drops and generally not smooth game play at all. I have a 2500k and 8gb memory so that's not the issue. The issues are confined to this game only. I can run BF3 on ultra and it's nice and smooth.

I run Sli'd 580's on an 4.1Ghz OC'd I720 with 6mb of memory and it still has framerate issues in Ilum. The only way to fix it so it's not a slideshow is to run the game full screen mode and not windowed. Turning bloom off seems to help, but then for some reasons the holograms dont appear on cut scenes.

My PC just chews up and spits out BF3 on ultra(at 2560X1600) so I dont really get why this game seems to be so poorly optimised.

Hopefully updated Nvidia drivers will help, as the last ones released were back in October.

I got about 70-110FPS on maxed settings 1920x1080 on my 27" with the Gigabyte reference 7970 3gb.

It ran amazing, Dead island got about 150-320fps yes 320fps on max settings.

Fallout new vegas got a SOLID 60fps no budging on maxed settings

BF3 online maxed settings 60-70fps

Temps were usualy 70c-80c under 40-50% fan speed

Card runs great except it has a squeaking coil so i returned it, and am waiting for the asus directCU 7970, or the gtx 670\680 which is a few months away still

My FPS fluctuates all over the place like when running around fleet, but it's usually hangs around in the 70-110 range. I have it overclocked to 975 and 1450. When I first got the card, the temps were in the 70s and spiked occasionally to the low 80s. My case has big hole in the side, so I wasn't getting good air flow from front to back. I added a 140mm silent fan to the side, and now the highest that it gets is 70C with the overclock.

I am pretty happy with it. You still need the original drivers for it as ATI has not merged the 7970 drivers in with the regular drivers. So don't get update 12.1 for it.

Metro 2033 runs super smooth on it. I am pleased with the card.

Edited by Qoojo

I have been running eyefinity at 6000x1080 for a couple of weeks now and it is very smooth everywhere but the fleet. I usually have between 40-70fps depending on where/what I am doing. I still get video stuttering on the fleet though and I have no clue why. I imagine this card would be around 120fps or more on a single monitor.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.