Differences to a Mercenary

Afran

oHai!

Me and a bunch of friends are rerolling from Empire to Republic due to server balance issues, I will be rerolling from a mercenary and wondering if I should chose the Commando :) My mercenary got to level 49 and mostly through PvP so I have fair experience with the playstyle and do enjoy it, if someone could list the changes that would effect the gameplay I'd appreciate it ;o

They are mirror classes so the only differences are appearance and bugs. The bugs include Full Auto missing a tick if you get hit and Mortar Strike pausing before starting. There might be others but they are minor mistakes that'll get ironed out soon enough. Honestly you might as well try a new class. You've already leveled a commando to 49, this is a great chance to try something else. The trooper story isn't exceptional. Its not bad, but you're not exactly going to be eager to see what's in store for you next. Enjoy!

I have a 50 powertech and now leveling a commando.

Personally cant stand the mercenary animation for his rocket so the choise to try out republic was easy.

I would recomend you try powertech instead of merc, its a great class and rocks in pvp aswell as pve.

It has some similar skills to commando but plays different.

Edited by Khadorian

I have a 50 powertech and now leveling a commando.

Personally cant stand the mercenary animation for his rocket so the choise to try out republic was easy.

I would recomend you try powertech instead of merc, its a great class and rocks in pvp aswell as pve.

It has some similar skills to commando but plays different.

I thought the Powertech was the Mirror class of the Vanguard and that the Merc was the mirror class of Commando?

I don't know why people say this all the time because it's simply not true that Full Auto is worse than Unload.

Unload also doesn't give a third tick if you get hit. The added damage from offhand can miss (57% hit chance). And many times it bugs and simply does not fire with offhand at all. This is a loss of ~8.3% damage compared to Full Auto. You have the upper hand here.

Mortar Volley reminds me of the casting lag in Warhammer. :S

I don't know why people say this all the time because it's simply not true that Full Auto is worse than Unload.

Unload also doesn't give a third tick if you get hit. The added damage from offhand can miss (57% hit chance). And many times it bugs and simply does not fire with offhand at all. This is a loss of ~8.3% damage compared to Full Auto. You have the upper hand here.

Considering you say unload "doesn't give a third tick if you get hit" shows you don't know what you are talking about.

Unload ticks 6 times. I tested it out on a bounty hunter and even without the 75% pushback protection talent, if you get hit once while casting unload you get off your full 6 ticks. Where as with the trooper even with the talent you lose out on 1 tick with one hit.

With the BH it takes 2 hits to lose out on 1 tick. And even then it's still better because you lose out on about 17% of the dmg with the loss of 1 tick. The trooper loses out on 33% of the dmg. To add to that taking 2 hits with the trooper makes you lose 2 ticks which reduces the dmg by 66%.

So BH takes 2 hits and loses 17% dmg on the skill. Trooper takes 2 hits and loses 66% of the dmg.

Full auto on my trooper is so bad I literally don't use it when I'm soloing unless I have a target frozen. Maybe when I get the talent to increase the dmg by 33% I'll start using it again but for now it's a waste of ammo when I'm actually taking any form of dmg.

Not only that but I can't even start a fight out with it even if there is one enemy because they aggro me before I hit them (they aggro as soon as you start the skill even though they don't get hit for 1.5 seconds) and I get push back and lose 1 or two ticks. This ability is terrible for troopers when soloing.

Edited by genesiser

Unload ticks 6 times. I tested it out on a bounty hunter and even without the 75% pushback protection talent, if you get hit once while casting unload you get off your full 6 ticks. Where as with the trooper even with the talent you lose out on 1 tick with one hit.

With the BH it takes 2 hits to lose out on 1 tick. And even then it's still better because you lose out on about 17% of the dmg with the loss of 1 tick. The trooper loses out on 33% of the dmg. To add to that taking 2 hits with the trooper makes you lose 2 ticks which reduces the dmg by 66%.

So BH takes 2 hits and loses 17% dmg on the skill. Trooper takes 2 hits and loses 66% of the dmg.

Wrong.. Unload ticks 3 times. If dual-wielding it adds about 8% damage every tick which I guess is what you wrongly count as 6 ticks. On later ranks this added damage bugs out and you almost never see it again.

You also only need 1 hit to lose out on 33% of your damage, aka the last tick.

The problem with Troopers Full Auto is the delay that most people have. I don't have that bug on my trooper though.

I thought the Powertech was the Mirror class of the Vanguard and that the Merc was the mirror class of Commando?

You are exactly right.

On the OP's subject you won't find any gameplay differences except bugs. They are identical in gameplay and only different in animations, names, and appearance. Played both Commando and Mercenary to 50 in beta, personally enjoy Commando more simply because of appearances and I like being on the outnumbered side.

I think you are right. Mortar volley is definitely lagged, but unload, while it visually appears to start attacking sooner than full auto, you still consistently lose the third damage tick on it if you take damage. Personally I think unload is a cooler looking ability, but that's personal preference. Full auto is not worse than unload, but mortar volley is delayed pretty badly compared to DFA.

Edited by krameriffic