Whats better SWTOR or galaxies?

STL-Phantom

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TOR is a better story by far, but that's to be expected as it's essentially a single player game with multiplayer areas/instances

Galaxies was the minecraft of MMO's. You could run and do anything you wanted, and the space combat was the best i've played. Player created cities were great, as was being able to build your own ship. I'll never forget when I shipwrighted my KSE Firespray (after spending serious cash to get the resources). Happiest day of my life

I'll never forget when I shipwrighted my KSE Firespray (after spending serious cash to get the resources). Happiest day of my life

I remember me and a mate went Imp to get the JSF! Man, I loved that ship.

It was always great when you had a bunch of Rebels in space and someone would say 'HEY! Where did you get that???'

I miss the space battles. :(

I think Galaxies did a few things right, but what it missed on were big things that turned away a lot of people. I enjoyed playing it from time to time, but never got big into it. I will miss it though. Hopefully ToR never comes to that and can keep it rolling for years to come

SWG never had atmospheric flight and for it's time, the graphics were amazing.

In the last half of 2011, they had atmospheric flight, you could launch and land from anywhere on the planet, and even go to space from the atmosphere.

There was air to ground pvp too, and some ground NPCs were attackable as well - womp rats mostly. And of course there was air to air pvp.

at the moment, because I am only still low level and SW:TOR is really just getting started, I have to say SWG.

I absolutely adored that game, here are a few reasons why.

No hand-holding, you were literally throw in and you made your own destiny, you had to do some homework and use your brain to actually be effective in the game, I like that, but I know some don't.

Great atmosphere, from the Tie fighter engine noises passing by over Mos Eisley, to the awesome use of the incidental and combat music.

It actually felt like you were "living in Star Wars", I don't get that feeling from TOR.

Massive planets with a "go anywhere whenever you want" feel to them, you could take a shuttle to Endor right off the bat if you had the money (no one ever said you wouldn't die a horrible death, or even be able to get back again), sometimes the decisions you made felt like a real mistake in SWG, this is missing in TOR also (even with the cut scene choices).

Crafting, need I say more? never seen a better crafting system in any other game ever...Period.

Player cities.

Fully controllable space combat.

Although I said SWG above, I am interested to see what TOR will become over the next year or two, I really hope Bioware listen to the player base, not that they should change it to be like SWG (it was never going to be that), but to add in the things about SWG that people loved would be nice.

I would have also preferred this game to be set around the time of the Phantom Menace, that way familiar sights could still be seen, but I guess it would have been harder for them to have a sith class during that timeline.

It's really unfair to compare the two. Two completely different games. SW:TOR is more story based where the developers created your story for you. SWG just dropped you on a planet with some basic skills and let you create your own saga. To that extent, SWG was very unique.

Also, SWG had some AMAZING features including the entire bounty hunter class and the way it was built. At its peak, you could go to a BH mission terminal and grab a mission to track down another player, including those who had unlocked jedi, and then you'd use a droid to track down what planet they were at, fly to that planet, use another droid to find out approximately where they were at, go in that area, and then use your earlier scouting abilities to track what direction they were headed.

If that's not roleplaying, I really really don't know what is. But that was one of the best times I've had playing a video game. Period. (this was also right before NGE which destroyed the game and SOEs reputation).