The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Assault Question : Does it feel weird?

Darguth

So, I've been leveling as Shield up to 40 but my guild has expanded to include several more reliable tanks so I'm thinking of respeccing into DPS as they seem to enjoy tanking and don't have any interest in DPS. Whereas I was just doing it mostly to give us an available and reliable tank to run FPs as a guild group.

So in looking at the two DPS trees I gravitate towards Assault as I think it'd be nice to actually see my attack animations for once, rather than shooting a HIB straight into a guy's face. But given the proc rate on Ionic Accelerator linked to Stockstrike it seems I'll still be forced into melee to be most effective.

Given the entire rest of the tree is ranged-focused; does this feel weird to anyone else? I feel like the Ionic Accelerator should key off Ion Pulse and Full Auto, like the Commando version, and then plant a range-extension talent for Ion Pulse lower in the tree (upping it to maybe a 20m range or so).

Thoughts?

The difference between an Assault Commando and Assault Vanguard is that the commando is more purely a ranged class; if that's the experience you want, that's how you get it. Assault Vanguard is a multirange class and yes, you'll have to close to melee range for stockstrike.

It's very fun, I enjoy it. You start off with an incendiary round, high impact bolt, then rush in to cause some havoc with your ion pulse and stock strike. It's very powerful in my opinion and I'm only level 25. I can do a nice chunk to those level 50 tanks who nobody else can touch because of all the elemental damage I put out.

It's very fun, I enjoy it. You start off with an incendiary round, high impact bolt, then rush in to cause some havoc with your ion pulse and stock strike. It's very powerful in my opinion and I'm only level 25. I can do a nice chunk to those level 50 tanks who nobody else can touch because of all the elemental damage I put out.

I don't doubt it's efficacy. It just seems to have a muddled design aesthetic.

I still use my hammer shot (basic attack) as a staple, it's used all the time so if that's what you're looking for in terms of aesthetics, I think you'll get used to it? The incendiary round is cool looking too. I think the vanguard is the kind of trooper who starts off ranged and then rushes in to wreak havoc. It all seems to flow nicely once you get into it and learn what abilities to use.

I run into major ammo problems in assault. I wish I could spec full tactics and just sit at melee range but I just dont find it doable. Outside the shield tree I must say I'm very disappointed with the vanguard. I wanted to be the BA in your face trooper, not the look at me with a huge gun to make up for my poor endowment...

Too bad. Back to my glowsticks

I run into major ammo problems in assault. I wish I could spec full tactics and just sit at melee range but I just dont find it doable. Outside the shield tree I must say I'm very disappointed with the vanguard. I wanted to be the BA in your face trooper, not the look at me with a huge gun to make up for my poor endowment...

Too bad. Back to my glowsticks

Once you have Ionic Accelerator, you shouldn't have too many ammo problems as long as you remember to weave in Hammer Shot now and then. If anything, I have a harder time getting to the 2nd tier of regen than staying in the first tier with how often HIB procs to give me +1 energy cell. And for those times that I do dip down, Emergency Power Cell is on a 90 sec cooldown.

Do you mind sharing your skill tree allocation? I'm Lvl 20 speccing as a shield right now. I plan to basically act as a tank. But I keep thinking there's got to be a tank/assault hybrid out there that could work... At LvL 20 I'm not really strong enough/good enough to be much use as a tank in PVP, though I am improving. But it would help to be able to do more damage.

I have all my points in Shield right now.

Go full shield til you hit level 30 and buy Storm. After that, you can consider going full spec or hybrid with the rest. There are a lot of people very pleased with a 21/2/18 hybrid build: Almost as tanky as full shield but much better dps.