The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What Is So Bad About the UI?

BanesBluff

Small cast bars,no target of target,need 3 bars at bottom of screen so i can watch cooldowns etc.

No ui scaling, ui bugs all the time resulting in me hitting ctrl and u,u more times than i hit my attack moves.

Ui needs a massive overhaul atm. :(

I think this is hardcore exaggerated. UI bugs all the time to a point where you have to reset it more than you press any attack moves? I think I've had to reset my UI...Twice since launch? MAYBE 3 times. But yeah, a lot of todays gamers will think having to reset their UI 3 times is like the end of the world.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Have not yet run into a situation where the UI is holding me back. Holding aggro and figuring out who is killing who isn't an issue, and I have yet to wipe because the healer didn't do their job. More whining, nothing to see here.

Yeah I mean the only REAL issue that I see is the ops frames overlapping the left quickbar, and in Voidstar, the map overlapping the top-right quickbar buttons, but I just put my PvE cooldowns/relics there so I don't even have a problem. I personally think it looks very sleek and matches the game very well and when addons are put in, I might not even change it then.

The operations frames can be moved anywhere on the screen and customized in bar size though.

Things I actually do dislike about the UI...

• No ability to save profiles ala rift, that was really nice.
  • I wish someone would make a UI work exactly like bartender one day
  • The companion abilities appear to be unmovable and the toggles re activate annoyingly
  • I cannot find any way at all to invert the mouse in space combat, and so it is unplayable for me.
  • I want chat bubbles...

Other than that I enjoy the game over all, but these are my UI pet peves. PS if anyone knows how to invert the mouse in space I'd love to hear it.

Oh one last thing... The guild roster borks up constantly and i have to ctrl u u reload it.

The guild management functionality disappoints me more than anything in game right now. A calendar, mass communication options, last logged in on dates, and of course a guild bank would be my list of things that are really urgent for me personally.

Edited by savagepotato

spells that are being channeled are nearly microscopic they are so small its hard to read what spell is being cast i i will blindly try to interupt it in hopes iam doing the right interupt. Also you cant

change the size.

Edited by Ramurdyne

spells that are being channeled are nearly microscopic they are so small its hard to read what spell is being cast i i will blindly try to interupt it in hopes iam doing the right interupt. Also you cant

change the size.

That and auras are a real microscopic mess too.

Unless I target a person, I can't figure out if Debuffs are actually cleanseable. I would like a way to increase their size. Filtering them to be only cleanseable would be a bonus, but I could live without it.

I can't use OP set-up for healing regular things, since I can't show companions.

I would like the enemy cast bar to be a little bigger.

At the same time, I wish I could scale down the sizes of action bars and other things. I wish I could move pieces around to be more meaningful to how I find it best to visually receive information.

It's nothing so major that I could say the game is terrible because of them. But, as someone who enjoys healing, the changes would be beneficial.

People from WOW are just used to having their entire screen covered with UI. Everything from dps meters, threat meters, healing bots, combat logs etc. I always wondered why people play games like that. Like their entire screen covered in User Interface with a little box in the middle that's the actual game.

My WoW UI takes up less overall screen real estate than the default SWToR UI and everything is placed in a portion of the screen that is unimportant. Don't generalize.

Edited by KittyPrawn

Most of my frustration (mind you, I only have a single level 12 character) is doing loot for your companion. Even when you open the character panel and switch to your companion and the gear in the inventory screen switches (for example, something that is grey because you can't use but lights up when you switch to companion view), when you hover over the gear it is still showing your gear comparison instead of your companions. This makes no sense and requires a lot of back and forth to be able to take note of the difference. Doing this piece after piece sucks.

Also, only have a single hotbar is total fail especially when I filled it up after just a few levels. I'm dreading higher levels where I have a sneaky suspicion I'll probably have to toggle between bars mid fight. I've never had to do that in any other game and will probably result in me getting killed because the skill icon I need isn't there and I can't react instinctively like I can where everything is split out in multiple bars that I can see simulatenously.

Can someone tell me what is so bad about the UI? I see so many people complaining about it and I'm just not seeing what all the fuss is about. Sure, its customization is limited, and there could be some more quickbars, but other than that I'm just not seeing what all the fuss is about. And no I am not trolling, I am honestly curious.

Can someoone please explain?

If you aren't from WoW and not a new generation MMO player, then you will never understand. I might have played WoW, but I don't feel it necessary to complain about something that isn't a big deal.

Most of my frustration (mind you, I only have a single level 12 character) is doing loot for your companion. Even when you open the character panel and switch to your companion and the gear in the inventory screen switches (for example, something that is grey because you can't use but lights up when you switch to companion view), when you hover over the gear it is still showing your gear comparison instead of your companions. This makes no sense and requires a lot of back and forth to be able to take note of the difference. Doing this piece after piece sucks.

There is an option somewhere in your preferences that will bring up comparisons for your gear and your companions gear. For example, if you hovered over pants, it would show the stats for the new pants, and then a window with stats you are currently wearing next to a window with stats your companion has on his pants.

Also, only have a single hotbar is total fail especially when I filled it up after just a few levels. I'm dreading higher levels where I have a sneaky suspicion I'll probably have to toggle between bars mid fight. I've never had to do that in any other game and will probably result in me getting killed because the skill icon I need isn't there and I can't react instinctively like I can where everything is split out in multiple bars that I can see simulatenously.

In your preferences, you can turn on more than one hotbar. They are called quickslot bars. You have two in the center, one on the right, and one on the left.

There is an option somewhere in your preferences that will bring up comparisons for your gear and your companions gear. For example, if you hovered over pants, it would show the stats for the new pants, and then a window with stats you are currently wearing next to a window with stats your companion has on his pants.

In your preferences, you can turn on more than one hotbar. They are called quickslot bars. You have two in the center, one on the right, and one on the left.

I would hug you, if at all possible.

Thanks!

For some it's merely the inability to un-dock/lock the various elements and move them where they would prefer them to be. For others it's the inability to scale it (be it in its entirety or as individual components) so that it takes up the amount of screen real estate they would prefer.

And then there's the whole litany of things that seem to be missing or that folks got used to having in other games. Some are more of a typical thing in the genre while others are more specific to only one or two games.

BUT, here's the thing with UIs. They either feel intuitive to you and therefore comfortable, or they don't. And if they don't AND the developer hasn't seen fit to give you options to make it more intuitive, then some frustration sets in.

And with some folks, it's only going to be a minor aggravation while for others it's a much larger PITA to.

Think of it like this:

The ones that are only somewhat aggravated by this are like folks used to say a particular length of snow ski or a particular weight bowling ball. If they show up at the mountain/lanes and they don't have their favorite length/weight, it doesn't mean they can't make do with something close, it's just not as comfortable to them.

The ones that are majorly torqued about it is like someone learning to play golf right handed and then giving them a set of left hand clubs to play a round with. It's just not going to feel natural at all and it's going to seriously effect their game.

Excellent metaphors!

Alot of good issues here with the UI, but I would like to add the companion bar. How come when I expand it to see all of the abilities does it cover my action bar? Stupid, stupid, stupid. And please, when I toggle one of the companions abilities off, how about we keep it off? Tired of my wookie pushing mobs all over the room picking up other mobs as he goes.

flexibility in a UI is something that IMO is expected when you log into a game... i mean if an old 7yr old game with lack of developers, player base and possibilities like SWG had it, why doesn't this game have it?

movable player frames

movable tool bars

movable chat windows

movable map!

movable raid frames

re-skinnable frames and components - there is no reason why this isnt available! Ihe design team is proud of their work, we get it but some of us are minimalists that like the least amount of stuff in our UI.