Cover Stealth

SandTrout

Hey, one of your mirrors from the Snipers here to present an idea that would aid both of our classes in PvP.

To be quite frank, we suffer from our dependency on the Cover Mechanic far more than we benefit, and an idea was brought up in this thread to allow us to enter stealth while in cover/kneeling outside of combat.

The general idea is that this stealth would break on movement or attacking/receiving damage, meaning that it would only really help prevent us from being obvious stealther bait.

As it is, we have cover as a restriction for a lot of our abilities that other classes have unrestricted, so the general idea is to make cover less than suicidal in PvP.

The constructive thoughts of the Gunslingers is welcomed.

I like the idea. But really I'd just prefer they get rid of the cover mechanic entirely, or at least SEVERELY reduce the smuggler/agents reliability on it across ALL specs. Cover NEVER should have been a core, class defining mechanic. Spells with long channel times have always been problematic for mmo pvp, and to actually have to self root yourself to use most of your useful abilities (which by the way also carry long channel times themselves) is just completely asinine.

I feel like the natural defense granted by cover, when combined with defense screen and hunker down, is fairly powerful if used correctly. I feel like a ranged class should be somewhat 'rooted' for balance.

That being said I like the idea a lot but the post earlier about 4 snipers appearing out of nowhere would indeed suck. What about a 3 second 'channeled' ability to exit the stealth mode into cover, and if you don't want to exit stealth this way you get a debuff that limits your use of abilities for 5 secs or so? That way you aren't just bait waiting for someone to come kill you but other players can't get caught in an ambush like the SUV scene from Patriot Games.

Yep, once my cover shield gets noticed I become a huge target for the enemy, at least this way I might get a shot or two off...

Also something needs to be done with hunker down as i can still be knocked out of cover with it active... if I had a damned combat log I would tell you how... but I will leave that for another discussion....... ;-)

Yep, once my cover shield gets noticed I become a huge target for the enemy, at least this way I might get a shot or two off...

Also something needs to be done with hunker down as i can still be knocked out of cover with it active... if I had a damned combat log I would tell you how... but I will leave that for another discussion....... ;-)

Not to hijack this thread but, while I haven't noticed problems with hunker down I haven't been able to get cheap shot or head shot to work. Have you noticed that?

I feel like the natural defense granted by cover, when combined with defense screen and hunker down, is fairly powerful if used correctly. I feel like a ranged class should be somewhat 'rooted' for balance.

That being said I like the idea a lot but the post earlier about 4 snipers appearing out of nowhere would indeed suck. What about a 3 second 'channeled' ability to exit the stealth mode into cover, and if you don't want to exit stealth this way you get a debuff that limits your use of abilities for 5 secs or so? That way you aren't just bait waiting for someone to come kill you but other players can't get caught in an ambush like the SUV scene from Patriot Games.

The Sharpshooter tree (the one that really benefits the most from cover in improves your cover abilities) is already chock full of abilities with long channel times. So in essence if they just removed the cover requirement from these abilities, you would still be much less mobile than people specced into either of the other two Gunslinger trees, and obviously less mobile than melee's. The Sharpshooter tree also comes with less CC improvements and kiting abilities than the other two.

The Sharpshooter tree (the one that really benefits the most from cover in improves your cover abilities) is already chock full of abilities with long channel times. So in essence if they just removed the cover requirement from these abilities, you would still be much less mobile than people specced into either of the other two Gunslinger trees, and obviously less mobile than melee's. The Sharpshooter tree also comes with less CC improvements and kiting abilities than the other two.

This is true, so would an out of combat stealth solve the problem? If you have a couple sith on your *** then cover clearly isn't going to get you out of the situation. I feel like the stealth might let the smuggler (SS specifically) keep themselves from getting into situations where mobility is required. Should a defined "sharpshooter" get kiting abilities or more than 2 CC's?

both smuggler AC's (mostly gunslinger bu also scoundrel) are very dependent on strategy if you don't like it that sucks, personally I like the cover system for pvp I don't depend on it but I use it to my advantage.

Ok, for 3-4 Snipers to ambush you from stealth would require a level of coordination unheard of in the Warzones, as well as the fact that they would need to have been waiting for you, meaning that they're not off somewhere else doing something useful.

Also, if you run into 3-4 of ANY class while alone, you're typically having a bad day.

Ok, for 3-4 Snipers to ambush you from stealth would require a level of coordination unheard of in the Warzones, as well as the fact that they would need to have been waiting for you, meaning that they're not off somewhere else doing something useful.

Also, if you run into 3-4 of ANY class while alone, you're typically having a bad day.

Agree, and it's not any different then if 3-4 operatives/scoundrels/assassins/shadows did the same thing and how often do you see that happen?

This is an amazing idea. Would make us like DAOC rangers, but no stealth on the move.

Allows us to set up, and hide, but not the complete unlimited bonuses of moving stealth. I think this is a great idea.

For snipers its a no brainer, for gunslingers...just think of all the cowboy movies where the cowboys were up on the ridge laying low waiting for the enemy to come by.

its perfect.