The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware, your game runs too hot. My solution.

danmanx

Please do not reply to this thread if ur gpu is find - ur rig might be different, ur -something- might be different, from all of us who are having this problem.

Umm... this very fact means it's not the fault of the game.

To PJbarlow (or whatever): Yeah, the game could be optimized more. And it will be... We aren't decrying that at all. But the game is not causing people's systems to overheat.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if the game is not destroying my card, but is heating it up much more than other games for seemingly no reason, despite my cooling performing exactly as it should?

Should the issue then not be investigated, to see if the game can be patched to produce the average amount of heat that other games (MMO or otherwise) do? Or should we ignore the issue, brush it aside, and let people's fans run at 100% for every minute of play time for no apparent reason?

They are currently improving optimization. They have said that many times, "we are looking into the FPS issues".

I have already said that the game is poorly optimized and should be improved, but regardless it cannot and does not overheat computers that are operating properly.

No.

You can't just tell an entire fanbase/playerbase: 'Sorry, but you're SOL, go pimp your PC some more' to fix the game's technical shortcomings when no other game on the market screws up their ***** the same way. And if that's the case, BW would be catering to the extreme gaming PC-builder enthusiasts who can diagnose and tweak — a big mistake, and a stupid one that I'm sure they don't want to make.

To PJbarlow (or whatever): Yeah, the game could be optimized more. And it will be... We aren't decrying that at all. But the game is not causing people's systems to overheat.

They are currently improving optimization. They have said that many times, "we are looking into the FPS issues".

I have already said that the game is poorly optimized and should be improved, but regardless it cannot and does not overheat computers that are operating properly.

I feel like I am reading Nineteen Eighty-Four here or something. This is double-think, purely and simply, and it is getting beyond a joke now.

You have both just said the game may have optimisation/framerate issues, you then immediately go on to say that there is no way this can cause problems unless your computer is faulty. If the game has issues, of course it is a possibility that those issues may be causing my problem.

Edited by PJEBarlow

If your hardware fails due to "overheating" it's your hardwares issue, not the game you play. Sure, my 2 x GeForce 470 graphics card's sound like hairdryers when I play SWTOR, they sound the same with most of the games out there that I play like NFS:SHIFT, BF2, BF3, Batman, especially when I use nvidia surround.

There are ways to help out your hardwares cooling though. Over time dust build up can cause heating issues. Do what I do. Every 3-6 months get some compressed air and blow that dust out.

Airflow in your desktop is key. In from the front/bottom and out from the back/top.

Try using some programs, like EVGA precision, to set you GPU's fan speeds. I usually set the fan speed settings so that they rpm up a bit earlier than the drivers do. Even though I have stock cooling and over clocked GPU's, my GPU's stay below 80C (in a room with 28-30C ambient temps).

It actually matters, seen a lot of video cards during my life since 286.

Sadly you can not replace factory cooling on many video cards. Other thing, on older video cards thermal paste becomes less efficient during time. So putting on load what only very good cooled cards could take is wrong and leads to problems.

It is still not swtor's fault. Any program that pushed your GPU would do the same thing. Swtor can and should be allowed to use 100 percent of your GPU's resources. If your card cannot handle it then it is defective.

If your card is out of warranty, then it is no longer in the Warrantied category, and therefore should not be considered as a fully functional GPU.

And if your Thermal paste is going, you are most likely out of warranty, so just reapply, or add more case fans.

Even if the game gets better optimization, which i hope it will, some cards will still run at 100 percent load, so cooling is the issue.

some people just need better cooling, and swtor is showing them that.

So you're saying SWTOR is running like a stress test program...unlike games, that's something nobody runs every day for hours on end over the course of several years :rolleyes:

The game is quite likely going to destroy people's rigs unless they fix this.

Edited by lollie

I feel like I am reading Nineteen Eighty-Four here or something. This is double-think, purely and simply, and it is getting beyond a joke now.

You have both just said the game may have optimisation/framerate issues, you then immediately go on to say that there is no way this can cause problems unless your computer is faulty. If the game has issues, of course it is a possibility that those issues may be causing my problem.

How much more clearly can i explain this?

I believe people are overheating, but it is not one bit the fault of SWTOR. You could make the worst optimized program on earth and it should never cause a PC to overheat. Every componant should be able to run at 100 percent for the life of its warranty. Swtor can not cause your PC to run at 110 percent. Therfore, if you are overheating, it is because

-You overclocked your PC without sufficient cooling

-you do not have sufficient cooling

-you turned down your fans to reduce noise

-one of your componants/fans is broken, and swtor is exposing that flaw.

Your computer should be able to run at 100 percent 24/7. If it cannot, its not Bioware's fault.

So when people come on here and cry that the game ruined their PC, its not constructive. instead they should ask for input on cooling techniques, new cases, or an RMA process from their manufacture to replace a part.

I believe people are overheating, but it is not one bit the fault of SWTOR. You could make the worst optimized program on earth and it should never cause a PC to overheat. Every componant should be able to run at 100 percent for the life of its warranty. Swtor can not cause your PC to run at 110 percent. Therfore, if you are overheating, it is because

Your computer should be able to run at 100 percent 24/7. If it cannot, its not Bioware's fault.

So when people come on here and cry that the game ruined their PC, its not constructive. instead they should ask for input on cooling techniques, new cases, or an RMA process from their manufacture to replace a part.

This.

Poor optimization can prevent people with low-end machines from being able to play. However, it cannot cause computers to overheat. If a computer it overheating, it's not due to the game in any way.

So you're saying SWTOR is running like a stress test program...something nobody runs every day for hours on end over the course of several years :rolleyes:

The game is quite likely going to destroy people's rigs unless they fix this.

i do not believe it is running like that at all. But i do run stress programs for extended periods of time.

My temps never exceed operational perimeters nor do my loads approach 100 percent.

Regardless you seem unable to understand my point, your pc should be able to run at 100 percent for its entire warrantied life. Visontek, ASUS, gigabyte cannot and willnot deny your warranty because you decided to run intel burn test for x number of years, so long as it is in warranty.

How the game runs is irrelevant to overheating, it is relevant to

1.)noise

2.)FPS

3.)overclocking

So i am on board with improving optimization. Just do not blame Swtor for overheating your PC, it should be able to cool itself.

You keep posting this but you are seemingly missing the tens of posts I am making addressing every little prognosis you have come up with.

There's nothing wrong with my PC that anyone with a computer hardware-related degree and years of experience could detect. There's nothing wrong that even 12 hours of IBT and Furmark can detect. It's not even overclocked- So I don't appreciate the GPU cooler being forced to run so loud just because this game makes the GPU run significantly hotter than every single other piece of software I use with the single exception of Furmark, which is designed to do that.

And I am not constantly talking about this for the good of my health, or to just get a fix on my own behalf, I am constantly talking about this because I enjoy the game thoroughly and would also like to see this annoying problem corrected for the many other people who are also experiencing it. For the good of the game.

i do not believe it is running like that at all. But i do run stress programs for extended periods of time.

My temps never exceed operational perimeters nor do my loads approach 100 percent.

Why are you being so stubborn about this? I would love to know the actual, specific reason you feel such an overwhelming need to defend the game against this particular complaint. I would love to know if you feel we are simply trying to discredit a game that I, and the other person I imagine, love to play.

I have compared this game to Furmark, now another person has come along making the exact same criticism, yet because you are not personally having this problem you claim it does not exist.

The plural of evidence is not anecdote.

Edited by PJEBarlow

you seem unable to understand my point

You seem unable to understand MY point. A game shouldn't behave like a stress test, as people spend much more time running a game than they ever would want to run a stress test (hours each day, over many years).

Do you really want to stress test your rig this much?

You keep posting this but you are seemingly missing the tens of posts I am making addressing every little prognosis you have come up with.

There's nothing wrong with my PC that anyone with a computer hardware-related degree and years of experience could detect. There's nothing wrong that even 12 hours of IBT and Furmark can detect. It's not even overclocked- So I don't appreciate the GPU cooler being forced to run so loud just because this game makes the GPU run significantly hotter than every single other piece of software I use with the single exception of Furmark, which is designed to do that.

And I am not constantly talking about this for the good of my health, or to just get a fix on my own behalf, I am constantly talking about this because I enjoy the game thoroughly and would also like to see this annoying problem corrected for the many other people who are also experiencing it. For the good of the game.

I agree, your fan should not be running at 100 percent. I have a GTX 580, and i do not run at 100 percent (but i still run hotter and louder than i should). I too want the game to be better optimized.

The devs have stated that they are working on optimization, so your problems should hopefully subside.

I am speaking only about overheating.

I am speaking only about overheating.

I think the difference between us is that I don't stop calling it overheating just because I don't get artefacts.

If this game is producing the same amounts of heat that I expect from Furmark, when no other game does on my system, I consider it overheating (or excessive heat, at the very least).

You seem unable to understand MY point. A game shouldn't behave like a stress test, as people spend much more time running a game than they ever would want to run a stress test (hours each day, over many years).

100 percent load sounds stressful, but is is not if you are using stock speeds. If it were stressful, and it would break parts, they would never give warranties. Your PC is warrantied for 100 percent load. What is stressful is overclocking, which exceeds 100 percent utilization of the component.

Good point, I never ran burn it test on my laptop for 3 years, never had any problem. Fun started with Swtor+patch 1.0.1.

And I have been playing with this laptop WoW for 2 years and many other games.

Clearly my laptop is not a case.

Buy the way, factory thermal paste I replaced 2.5 years ago and been refreshing it after every 6 months.

Edited by Chaffery

I think the difference between us is that I don't stop calling it overheating just because I don't get artefacts.

If this game is producing the same amounts of heat that I expect from Furmark, when no other game does on my system, I consider it overheating (or excessive heat, at the very least).

Well then your definition of overheating is incorrect. your card is operating withing its operational perimeters. it may be hot, but it is not too hot.

Well then your definition of overheating is incorrect. your card is operating withing its operational perimeters. it may be hot, but it is not too hot.

That's one way to interpret it, but when only one game is causing such abnormal amount of heat then I would question the game.

There is not a single other game title that pushes my GPU cooler beyond 50-60%, including games like The Witcher 2 and Battlefield 3 which are really at the pinnacle of what people would call "punishing graphics" right now.

The only software that makes me put up with this noise is Furmark, but with Furmark I expect to go deaf because it's intentional.

That's one way to interpret it, but when only one game is causing such abnormal amount of heat then I would question the game.

There is not a single other game title that pushes my GPU cooler beyond 50-60%, including games like The Witcher 2 and Battlefield 3 which are really at the pinnacle of what people would call "punishing graphics" right now.

The only software that makes me put up with this noise is Furmark, but with Furmark I expect to go deaf because it's intentional.

This is not an English novel, the word overheating is not open to interpretation. If your Graphics card temperature is exceeding operational perimeters, it is overheating.

Once again, you have an extremely valid point, the game is poorly optimized, and it should run more smoothly.

Haha, I just lost a little respect for Nvidia there to be honest if that's true. :eek:

I guess they have to cover their arse though.

It's true, can't link direct to the quote (their forums are down) but read this ---> clicky

Quote from NVIDIA Tech Support:

Furmark is an application designed to stress the GPU by maximizing power draw well beyond any real world application or game. In some cases, this could lead to slowdown of the graphics card due to hitting over-temperature or over-current protection mechanisms. These protection mechanisms are designed to ensure the safe operation of the graphics card. Using Furmark or other applications to disable these protection mechanisms can result in permanent damage to the graphics card and void the manufacturer's warranty.

And this is exactly what what SWTOR is currently doing to our rigs after the Jan 6th doomsday patch :S

Edited by lollie

It's true, can't link direct to the quote (their forums are down) but read this ---> clicky

And this is exactly what what SWTOR is currently doing to our rigs after the Jan 6th doomsday patch :S

okay so i was unaware that Furmark could remove the safety features of the card. I never use that program.

Please provide proof that SWTOR is removing GPU's safety features.

This is not an English novel, the word overheating is not open to interpretation. If your Graphics card temperature is exceeding operational perimeters, it is overheating.

Well, we're just getting pedantic now. But in the spirit of it...

overheat

verb

Definition

to (cause to) become hotter than necessary or wanted

This game is indeed causing my GPU to become hotter than necessary and wanted.

Once again, you have an extremely valid point, the game is poorly optimized, and it should run more smoothly.

Well, this is the source of my confusion and frustration. Aside from GPU temperatures and noise, the game itself seems to run perfectly fine, so I can't understand why this is happening.

Then again, Furmark "runs fine" too.

Please provide proof that SWTOR is removing GPU's safety features.

I don't think s/he claimed as a fact that it was, just that it is a concern. And it's not an invalid concern.

Edited by PJEBarlow