The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware, your game runs too hot. My solution.

danmanx

You should do some research before you post. Some players GPU's run hot because there is no driver support for this game as of yet.

The driver is what controls the GPU. Since there are people who have the exact same specs as the people who are having issues, we can safely say that its not a game coding issue.

This is probably the dumbest thing I ever seen in my live. On what then game is built on, standard windows SVGA drivers?

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bad coding include poor MMO experience,

lousy server load balance,

every time I play in a statue heavy or full server,

i got DC,

so i cant play with my friends in TS pvp server,

i can only choose a loading lighter server,

and in our major playing time,

there is just less than 10 ppl in a plant!!!!

for God sake , is this a diying MMO?

EA, u cant even maintain a stable server for just 100 players in one zone!!

Man all the insane complaints everyone has like super computers compaired to me and ive yet to have a single heat problem.

If your computer is functioning properly you should never have a heat issue regardless of what components you use.

even if he did give specific temps without actually seeing his case and where it is you can judge airflow so it's not much help...

plus we have no way to know if the temps he gives are actual temps, something some crappy 3rd party software is telling him or just another made up exaggeration

lol

Hence why I said we "might start to listen". If he at least could prove that he's running games that have higher system requirements (to run at max) than TOR at low temperatures, then we could maybe help him troubleshoot.

But mostly my post's point was to emphasize that the guy was just flat-out lying, since he won't prove it (because he can't).

Yeah I had some problem with the HERO engine, my GPU fan started slowing down to heat and I had to customize 2 extra fans to blow the graphics card to hoth.

The game cannot access your fan speed. That is controlled by your GPU's drivers.

Thats fine, just do not come onto the forums and tell people the game slowed down your fans, as it cannot do that, and it will scare other people who are not well informed about PCs.

Because it only did slow down when I'm playing SWTOR.

Thus my philosophy thinks that SWTOR caused it. But in defense of others, I have a ****** computer and that's why I'm upgrading it. Could be a bad fan as well.

Edited by Nortro

HAHAHAHAAAAHHAHA!!! Wait, wait, I can't breathe! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! DERP! What a moronic thread, I love it! The game is making my computer hot and it's not my fault!! hahaha! Oh wow, that is rich. Stupid people make me laugh so much... ok, ok I'm done.

TROLLOLOLOLLLOL LOLOLLLLOLLLOL LOLOOLLOL nice.

yeah i know seriously, but its scary some people actually believe it and are scaring people....

Man all the insane complaints everyone has like super computers compaired to me and ive yet to have a single heat problem.

The thing is they're actually running thier Acer that they bought at Office Depot and crammed a GPU in there running off a 250w PSU, all with stock cooling and then max the settings and play for 20 hours and wonder why thier computer is getting hot.

No one that has even a beginning knowledge would be posting ridiculous specs and making these claims if those were thier actual specs.

Thus my philosophy thinks that SWTOR caused it.

I am telling you that is impossible. Please show me a screen shot of your fan speed 'slowing down" while playing swtor while temps were also increasing. An ear test is not sufficient. Fan speeds are controlled by the GPU's drivers, it monitors the temps of the GPU and the sets the fan speed accordingly, it has absolutely nothing to do with what the computer or GPU is doing. Hell if my GPU sat idle in a 150 degree room the fans would start to crank up, even if i was not playing a game. SWTOR has nothing to do with your GPU's fans.

I am telling you that is impossible. Please show me a screen shot of your fan speed 'slowing down" while playing swtor while temps were also increasing. An ear test is not sufficient. Fan speeds are controlled by the GPU's drivers, it monitors the temps of the GPU and the sets the fan speed accordingly, it has absolutely nothing to do with what the computer or GPU is doing. Hell if my GPU sat idle in a 150 degree room the fans would start to crank up, even if i was not playing a game. SWTOR has nothing to do with your GPU's fans.

Like I said, it's already been fixed, I ran the game with an open case and saw the fan slowing down and failing when I play SWTOR ONLY, saw it with my own two eyes, yes, I repeat, I saw the fan slowly failing until I allow it cool down and quit SWTOR.

I am NOT blaming SWTOR, I'm blaming my crap GPU, I understand that it's my **** GPU's fault.

The thing is they're actually running thier Acer that they bought at Office Depot and crammed a GPU in there running off a 250w PSU, all with stock cooling and then max the settings and play for 20 hours and wonder why thier computer is getting hot.

No one that has even a beginning knowledge would be posting ridiculous specs and making these claims if those were thier actual specs.

If you're not having the problems yourself then how can you be so sure? You sound like you are having a knee-jerk reaction to defend the game against, what, people you perceive as some sort of threat to its reputation?

I know just a little tiny bit about about computers (understatement). I am using a GTX 580 with the stock dual-fan cooler it came with (I have been planning to replace it with a Zalman but I simply do not have the time lately), I am using a Lian Li case with more than adequate cooling. My GPU does not approach dangerous temperatures but the fans on it speed up to pretty much max keeping it cool in this game, they don't in any other game.

If this wasn't happening to a lot of people it wouldn't be posted about so much, this is the second thread I have seen today. Not everybody is just some computer illiterate child or some sort of rabid "hater" who wants to give a boo boo to your favourite new game.

Edited by PJEBarlow

Thus my philosophy thinks that SWTOR caused it. But in defense of others, I have a ****** computer and that's why I'm upgrading it. Could be a bad fan as well.

A game cannot slow down your fan speed, and if you have an older comp like you claim it cannot access your CPU fan either which is only doable through your bios, or software OC tools and usually only for your 4 pin CPU fan.

I know about computers. I am using a GTX 580 with the stock dual-fan cooler it came with (I have been planning to replace it with a Zalman but I simply do not have the time lately), I am using a Lian Li case with more than adequate cooling. My GPU does not approach dangerous temperatures but the fans on it speed up to pretty much max keeping it cool in this game, they don't in any other game.

I have a GTX 560 Ti in a Coolermaster 690 case and no additional GPU fan cooling. My fan maxes out at 60% while running TOR on max.

This is not an issue with the game.

If you're not having the problems yourself then how can you be so sure? You sound like you are having a knee-jerk reaction to defend the game against, what, people you perceive as some sort of threat to its reputation?

I know just a little tiny bit about about computers (understatement). I am using a GTX 580 with the stock dual-fan cooler it came with (I have been planning to replace it with a Zalman but I simply do not have the time lately), I am using a Lian Li case with more than adequate cooling. My GPU does not approach dangerous temperatures but the fans on it speed up to pretty much max keeping it cool in this game, they don't in any other game.

If this wasn't happening to a lot of people it wouldn't be posted about so much, this is the second thread I have seen today. Not everybody is just some computer illiterate child who wants to give a boo boo to your favourite game.

Wrong, dead wrong.

I believe people are overheating, but it is not one bit the fault of SWTOR. You could make the worst optimized program on earth and it should never cause a PC to overheat. Every componant should be able to run at 100 percent for the life of its warranty. Swtor can not cause your PC to run at 110 percent. Therfore, if you are overheating, it is because

-You overclocked your PC without sufficient cooling

-you do not have sufficient cooling

-you turned down your fans to reduce noise

-one of your componants/fans is broken, and swtor is exposing that flaw.

Your computer should be able to run at 100 percent 24/7. If it cannot, its not Bioware's fault.

So when people come on here and cry that the game ruined their PC, its not constructive. instead they should ask for input on cooling techniques, new cases, or an RMA process from their manufacture to replace a part.

lol

Hence why I said we "might start to listen". If he at least could prove that he's running games that have higher system requirements (to run at max) than TOR at low temperatures, then we could maybe help him troubleshoot.

But mostly my post's point was to emphasize that the guy was just flat-out lying, since he won't prove it (because he can't).

Want proof, here it is. I have a 3 years old laptop, with Gf9600M GT. Before 1.0.1 patch everything was working fine. After patch I started having lag problem, after digging around little I found that my GPU drops core clock and mem clock in to safe state (internal protection) due heavy load. I ran bun in test on my laptop and I had adjust mem clock buy 20mhz less because heat screwed up memory timing with GPU. Electrons flow slower inside over heated electronics.

After adjusting mem clock game is back as it was pre patch. Luckily my laptop cooling system is designed take such punishment like game is in current state.

You are using a GTX 560 Ti, I am using a GTX 580. That might not even be the main difference, but it's just one example of why what you said is not relevant. Whatever is causing this problem is nothing to do with my cooling solution, dust in the fans, drivers, or anything of the sort because I have checked and re-checked that the system is in proper working order.

Something about this game seems to make it behave almost like Furmark on my GPU, I am not the only one. If you want to continue denying this then I'd love to hear some actual reasoning, not knee-jerk dismissal.

O.o

Are you serious?

My card is less powerful than yours, my case has less cooling options, and I'm running TOR at max with my fan speed at 60%. I just proved to you that the game has absolutely nothing to do with your overheating problems.

Edited by Kashaan

Want proof, here it is. I have a 3 years old laptop, with Gf9600M GT. Before 1.0.1 patch everything was working fine. After patch I started having lag problem, after digging around little I found that my GPU drops core clock and mem clock in to safe state (internal protection) due heavy load. I ran bun in test on my laptop and I had adjust mem clock buy 20mhz less because heat screwed up memory timing with GPU. Electrons flow slower inside over heated electronics.

After adjusting mem clock game is back as it was pre patch. Luckily my laptop cooling system is designed take such punishment like game is in current state.

Yeah some laptop manufactures cannot sufficiently cool the hardware the put inside the laptop, so the throttle the GPU at higher temps. Again this is your laptops fault and not the GPU's fault. If you had better cooling it would be fine.

anecdotes ≠ proof

Edited by Liquidacid

O.o

Are you serious?

My card is less powerful than yours, my case has less cooling options, and I'm running TOR at max with my fan speed at 60%. I just proved to you that the game has absolutely nothing to do with your overheating problems.

My card is more powerful than yours, which is why it belts along at 110fps. Unless you're asking me to cap the FPS, and stop making use of the 120Hz monitor I spent my hard-earned money on, what do you suggest I do?

Other than asking Bioware to look at their GPU optimisation, of course.

Edited by PJEBarlow