The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware, your game runs too hot. My solution.

danmanx

Wow O.o...Some epic fail posts here....OP too...

I use MSI Afterburner on a GTX 560 TI (2gb)

On top of that its running at 920 Mhz, you can do the homework on what defaults are...

Max Temp after 2 hours of SWTOR is 72c

Avg temp 69c

This is on the new Beta 290.53 Drivers (Yup i am a Skyrim Junky)

Oddly enough...Skyrim puts me to 79c avg...81 max ( Still fine, It can take it up to 95c, and 105 before it starts falling apart)

SWTOR overall is pretty light? All Max + .ini tweaks? I dunno why you guys are complaining? Get better cooling? Get a better Gfix card? Clean out your fans? Stop crying?

Overclocked the same card as well, max temps after 3-4 hours I ever saw was 75* That's running everything maxed. Compared to other mmo's I have noticed that my cpu and gpu run a little hotter comparatively. Ofcourse that said, even temps with swtor are well below anything I should worry about.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually my card has been running this game alright, (ATI 6970) until 3 night ago when almost whole team on Reps side started to drop in Aleraan (under the central gun). After I shut the game down my card was running at full bore for another 15 minutes. I had to restart after which everything was okay.

There is something wonky going on with the game.

Sure, but if the swtor exe is shut down, and your vid card is still running full bore...it isn't the swtor.exe that is doing it, but...something else.

Would you ignoramuses kindly stop pointlessly trying to refute the OP very valid point. This occurred in the initial release of SC2, a problem acknowledged and fixed by Blizzard after an inordinate number of customers complained about failing GPUs caused by a software bug. I've noticed this problem too, high FPS areas such as the character screen, player ship and space combat appear to increase temperatures in my laptop by 5-7c.

Le sigh. Silly people.

Yes, this game is coded in a way that overheats video cards. Yes, it IS POSSIBLE for a poorly coded engine to overheat video cards. Someone else mentioned SC2, it also occured for GalCiv2, and also Champions and STO suffer from it.

There are essentially two ways to overheat video cards via poor programming, over-doing polygons, or overdoing frames. In this particular game, it is overdoing frames, and from my experience, V-Sync does diddly. You can force V-sync on in the drivers (turn off the one in game, because the game behaves oddly when both being forced into frame limiting and running the in-game one).

I'm running a GTX580, and with V-sync forced on, I never pop above 61C. And typically speaking, you don't want to go anywhere above 65C. With V-sync off, or not being forced (as said, the in game setting doesn't work correctly), I popped 10-15 degrees hotter, and that's a megaton hotter than it should be.

If you are having heat trouble, try forcing V-sync through drivers, that should help.

Also, if your running an NVidia, try one of the utilities that allows for custom fan profiles. I use EVGA precision (free tool for EVGA cards), to run a fan profile that ramps the fan up much faster than the defaults. Of course, for me, I'm in Colorado, so that's a must anyways. But it can certainly help anyone else out.

Gentlemen, it appears were are the ignored and the forgotten.

The reason why GPUs are overheating is because of bad coding. All it takes is somebody checking to see what commands and instructions are being sent to the GPUs. I am not an expert, but it seems like Bioware doesn't have anybody willing or competent to even look into this severe, deadly problem.

This is, absolutely, *never* the case. GPU's overheat because of bad cooling. It is the only thing that can cause it.

Is this game perfectly optimized? No, it's not. Does it make your GPU work harder than it needs to? Probably. Can any game overheat a properly-cooled system with a properly-functioning graphics card? Absolutely not.

In any case, of all the complaints I've seen about this issue (and I'll admit I haven't read this thread front-to-back) every single one I've seen has had people complain about cards that are in perfectly acceptable ranges. The last one ran close to 20 pages, I think, with out one person coming forward to say his card had ever actually overheated. I suspect it's the same in this case.

Edit: Sure enough. Read through the entire thread, and not one person has said his card overheated (except maybe one person whose machine rebooted when his GPU temperature was well under spec for his card).

The more people complain about this, the more of a complete non-issue it seems to be.

Edited by imtrick

Wow.... how is this thread multiple pages?

I know some of you laymen out there don't want to put the effort into understanding how computer hardware works, but you really need to stop the mob mentality.

Games do not destroy graphics cards.

A graphics card can be overheated by running a game at higher settings than your card can handle, but that is not the game's fault. Furthermore, it's extremely rare for a card to be permanently damaged from overheating. The card will shutdown before it's permanently damaged from overheating. Of course, repeatedly overheating your card in a short time can permanently damage it... which is again no one's fault but the user.

Edited by Kashaan

My dog recently died while I was playing TOR... must be the games bad coding

BioWare why you kill my dog!?!? :(

the game is not the cause it's either your drivers or your hardware

in reality you should be checking your GPU, case cooling and/or complaining to ATI/Nvidia to hurry up and put out better drivers

Edited by Liquidacid

First off, thanks for the compliment about my age and the "you're too crazy approach".

Let's cut through the red tape/psychobabble/ridiculous insults to my intelligence that have no bearing on the ACTUAL problem, shall we?

The game causes GPUs to overheat.

It happens across desktop/laptops and ATI/NVIDIA cards. It is causing machines to fail. Black screen due to overheat and shutdown to save your rig from combustion.

That's not a good thing, that is a bad thing. Like being set on fire. Fire bad. Heat bad.

If nobody reported this, I would think I was alone, but there are countless threads regarding this issue and no patchable solution is seen.

You can't blame a pen for writing a nasty letter.....

It is obviously some kind of issue with SW:TOR...to say that it's merely a "driver" issue and downplay the severity is childish, reckless and endangers a growing customer base in the first few months of its release. I suggest you do more research instead of making assumptions about how much knowledge you have about this issue and stop running your post count up to look "cool".

Oh, pun intended.

I've run Furmark 7 times in a row with 4x msaa and a major overclock, never did my graphics card "fry" like your friends....weird, because 99% of any kind of half decent card will shut down LONG before that happens.

Now if you have no air, no fans, on your Dell sitting under your desk next to the funace vent playing for 18 hours straight, I can see it MAYBE happening.

The reason why GPUs are overheating is because of bad coding.

After that...

I am not an expert, but it seems like Bioware doesn't have anybody willing or competent to even look into this severe, deadly problem.

...stopped reading here.

OP is a LCD reject.

You should do some research before you post. Some players GPU's run hot because there is no driver support for this game as of yet.

The driver is what controls the GPU. Since there are people who have the exact same specs as the people who are having issues, we can safely say that its not a game coding issue.

It IS a game coding issue. How can it be that I can run BF3 64 player matches on max with 70 fps, WoW on max, SC2 on max, etc, etc, and run them all cool, and then experience heat issues when it comes to SW:TOR?

Thankfully, my computer has many fail safes and good cooling so it won't get fried so easily, but Bioware's disregard is troubling.

Gentlemen, it appears were are the ignored and the forgotten.

The reason why GPUs are overheating is because of bad coding. All it takes is somebody checking to see what commands and instructions are being sent to the GPUs. I am not an expert, but it seems like Bioware doesn't have anybody willing or competent to even look into this severe, deadly problem.

Some guy I don't even know lost his computer last night. He is an associate of my friend's wife. "Yeah, I was playing TOR and my video card fried out."

Inexcusable.

You want candy. You take a bite. You burn your mouth due to excessive heat.

You buy a car. You put gas into it. Your car explodes. How is that YOUR fault?

You install SW:TOR on a gaming machine....you need to WATCH OUT and play Star Wars: Temperature Monitor Control.....BOOM.....fried computer due to excessive heat.

My machine doesn't even struggle to run this and it's hotter than Jessica Alba on a summer day.

SOLUTION:

LOWER YOUR FPS. LOWER YOUR FPS. LOWER YOUR FPS.

LOWER YOUR GRAPHICS CARD 3D SETTINGS TO WALMART QUALITY.

Use a program like Bandicam and limit your FPS to 30, hell 20 just to be safe. I certainly don't want to lose a GAMING MACHINE to one *********** game.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD *TRY* OR *ATTEMPT* TO SEE, THEN *FIX* THIS PROBLEM BIOWARE.

It's a sad day when a million voices suddenly cry out....then are silenced...........

Nope.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/585/nopef.png/

It IS a game coding issue. How can it be that I can run BF3 64 player matches on max with 70 fps, WoW on max, SC2 on max, etc, etc, and run them all cool, and then experience heat issues when it comes to SW:TOR?

A) A 5-year old PoS PC could "run WoW on max"... the fact you even mention it gives you away.

B) Give us specific temperatures that you run specific games at "on max" with screenshots (including TOR and Battlefield 3) and we might start to listen to you.

a) a 5-year old pos pc could "run wow on max"... The fact you even mention it gives you away.

B) give us specific temperatures that you run specific games at "on max" with screenshots (including tor and battlefield 3) and we might start to listen to you.

even if he did give specific temps without actually seeing his case and where it is you can judge airflow so it's not much help...

plus we have no way to know if the temps he gives are actual temps, something some crappy 3rd party software is telling him or just another made up exaggeration

Edited by Liquidacid

I hope this thread is trolling. A game cannot, i repeat, cannot cause your GPU to run past 100 percent load, and therefore cannot be blamed for overheating your GPU. Your GPU should be capable of running at 100 Percent load for the entire life of its warranty. if it fails to do so, there are a few things that may be causing it.

-You overclocked your GPU, and the cooling is insufficient

-you stuffed a high end GPU into a tiny walmart pc case and it does not get enough airflow

-it is broken, and swtor is just showing its flaws.

-you lowered the fan speed to reduce noise

Your GPU may be stressed more in this game than other games due to bad coding, but provided you are operating it within stock specifications there should be no heating issues, just higher temps is all.

On a final note, my HD 6950 hovers around 71 degrees c at 50 percent fan speed in game, which is actually a bit lower than my average of 75 degrees.

Please stop spreading these false rumors that somehow swtor is destroying your PC.

Edited by Culveren