How can I speed up planet loading?

Skodan

I agree. I would like to know. Lately just logging out and logging in an alt is a whole process. Don't know why it is like that.

And I have a decent computer with 6 gb of ram and a decent graphics card.

And I have a decent internet connection.

I'm pretty sure it is the gameside

Edited by Appletaz

using elevators and stuff on planets i load almost instantly, but when i go from planet to planet or into a flashpoint, it takes a minute or two to load.

is there anything i can do to help speed up loading?

sorry i got distracted trolling. I believe that loading times ect have to do with either RAM or your harddrives RPM. If you dont have a decent amount of ram or you harddrive isnt like 7200 rpm then you might consider looking there... OR LESS ****

using elevators and stuff on planets i load almost instantly, but when i go from planet to planet or into a flashpoint, it takes a minute or two to load.

is there anything i can do to help speed up loading?

I load planets in 10 seconds. Try looking at each individual part of your computer and seeing just how good it is. From there you can think about what needs to be replaced.

SSD also dosnt make a damned diffrence, the problem is on bioware/game side, basicly not being super computer savvy even I can tell to some extent whats going on.

Protip: Ctrl Alt Delete and check process while you are loading, the client basicly goes into not responding for a while, before it actually starts loading the content, its a massive **** up on biowares side tbh.

And i warned them of it during beta.. then again welcome to payed beta :)

Edited by Munx

Your not alone and its not your Comp.

Game has major optimising needed.

To the person repsonding to this thread saying they "know" people who Load In in 10 secs, BS.

Nobody is Loading in 10 seconds. Period.

I can load into FE,WoW, SWG(gone forever), AoC, GW, EVE and a few other games in 10 seconds.

Tell me my Comp is why I take 5-6 mins per loading screen for this game.

Edited by Kunra

I have the same issue. I load -so freaking slowly-, like 2-3 minutes per loading screen.

It's the first game where I am experiencing this issue, other games that take a heavier toll on my computer (like Rift) has faster loading screens, and I don't think TOR is as demanding.

My computer is only two years old, and I'd like to think it keeps up with the times pretty decently still >.<

It's connection speed + harddisk speed + CPU speed :).

As I had just a 2.5'' with enough space and use a 2500 DSL it can take several minutes for me to load a planet.

Only way to improve it would be to get enough space at my SSD ;).

I agree. I would like to know. Lately just logging out and logging in an alt is a whole process. Don't know why it is like that.

And I have a decent computer with 6 gb of ram and a decent graphics card.

And I have a decent internet connection.

I'm pretty sure it is the gameside

Content loading is usually related to slow IO and slow IO speeds do not usually have anything to do with your CPU / graphics / network connection (unless you installed on some kind of network attached storage)

Get a HDD with low Random Access Times (fast 7200rpm or 10k rpm) or SSD for your game files and if you really want to get everything out of your system, get another similar disk for your system volume.

Content loading is usually related to slow IO and slow IO speeds do not usually have anything to do with your CPU / graphics / network connection (unless you installed on some kind of network attached storage)

Get a HDD with low Random Access Times (fast 7200rpm or 10k rpm) or SSD for your game files and if you really want to get everything out of your system, get another similar disk for your system volume.

I am afraid you are talking way over my head.

At any rate, since I have a decent rig, why should I have to tweak it? This game should not require me to do such things as you mention, it should be able to handle things a little bit better than having me do weird things to my computer.

Edited by Appletaz

Huh? 12345

I am afraid you are talking way over my head.

At any rate, since I have a decent rig, why should I have to tweak it? This game should not require me to do such things as you mention, it should be able to handle things a little bit better than having me do weird things to my computer.

If that (basic stuff) isn't familiar, I'm not sure how you can judge that your rig is good or not and please do not say "because I paid a lot for it".

That aside, Many high performance systems sold for workstation / desktop usage do not perform that well for gaming as is and that's why you usually need to do those weird things to your PC to get good gaming performance out of it. Or just go to a retailer that sells gaming rigs (and pay some $200...300 extra).

You can't do as much as you'd like I think.

I have huge loading times too on a decent computer (1-3 mins). Game also gives me Blue Screen of Death "frequently" - maybe once per 1-2 hours. I think all this is definitely on the "game side". Alot of know-it-alls of varying degrees of knowledge will likely tell you it's on your side. Just ask yourself if this is the only game giving you trouble, and you have your answer.

Edited by zoofar

SSD also dosnt make a damned diffrence, the problem is on bioware/game side, basicly not being super computer savvy even I can tell to some extent whats going on.

Yes it does. I went from a 7200 rpm short-stroked drive (Seagate 7200.12) to a Plextor M3S SSD. The load times were cut by over half. I can load fleet in less than 10 seconds. Belsavis in about 20 seconds.

The problem with SSD's is that they are a generic term (like "computer"). There are lots of crap SSD's out on the market. What's even worse is that there are some SSD's with bad garbage collection. So when you go read a review of an SSD (most reviewers are clueless), they usually benchmark them in a brand new state. However, in the real world, where the SSD's are used and abused (and filled up), SSD's with poor garbage collection will have crap performance. Then there are SSD's with synchronous and asynchronous NAND that heavily affect performance.

That said, the game needs better load optimization, but I have a feeling its one of those things that's low on the totem pole. There are other gameplay related issues that are far higher.

Edited by dexvx