A brief lesson in video game programming

surpy

I hope this will make you all think twice before posting something about posting a suggestion *cough*dungeon finder*cough*. How a video game is created is through a long, hard, and thought filled process called programming. There are many many many ways to program and someone has a different idea on how to program something. Looking at WoW, they have spent a lot of time thinking of new ways to program stuff, and new things to program into their game. On the other hand Bioware, they don't know as much as Blizzard on how they do certain things. For example, dungeon finder, I bet my bottom dollar that Bioware is trying to figure out how Blizzard did it. So if you ask for something, keep in mind that Bioware will need to discover how to program it into their game.

*summary*

Making video games is hard and not two games are the same, something that Blizzard has in WoW might be something that Bioware is trying to figure out to put in their game.

So it takes a lot of though and its a long process. Yet despite the long process and the tons of thought, they NEVER considered how silly most of the ideas are.

You seriously think this white knighting stands?

Didn't even need to respond. Grats.

Let me give you a history in MMO's. WoW is not the only MMO and they are copying Rift in how they did their dungeon finder. Notice that handy dandy change that if a group turns down you get put in front of the line. Go ahead and thank Rift for that one.

Here Bioware go do what these Blizzard devs did. Buy it cheap and get a box copy and start copying pasting things like the UI, import, and LFG

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/4140/art73.jpg

1.players select roles and optional dungeons.

2. players aare placed in role queues for dungeons selected or all dungeons in level range

3. system selects 1 tank 1 healer and 2 dps from queues, optional pass over of mirror classes based on priority of time in queue.

4. all players selected are notified of selection, when all players agree they are ported to selected dungeon.

queue is actually priority queue so groups that lose members and players part of a group where a member declined are pushed to front.

there in 10 mins i just created the basic skeleton of the queue, and most of the code can be pirated from other existing features.

I hope this will make you all think twice before posting something about posting a suggestion *cough*dungeon finder*cough*. How a video game is created is through a long, hard, and thought filled process called programming. There are many many many ways to program and someone has a different idea on how to program something. Looking at WoW, they have spent a lot of time thinking of new ways to program stuff, and new things to program into their game. On the other hand Bioware, they don't know as much as Blizzard on how they do certain things. For example, dungeon finder, I bet my bottom dollar that Bioware is trying to figure out how Blizzard did it. So if you ask for something, keep in mind that Bioware will need to discover how to program it into their game.

*summary*

Making video games is hard and not two games are the same, something that Blizzard has in WoW might be something that Bioware is trying to figure out to put in their game.

"Programming" isn't some alien language where developers need to "figure out" how to make socket connections and log a group of people onto a shard. You typically hire engineers who know this stuff.

1.players select roles and optional dungeons.

2. players aare placed in role queues for dungeons selected or all dungeons in level range

3. system selects 1 tank 1 healer and 2 dps from queues, optional pass over of mirror classes based on priority of time in queue.

4. all players selected are notified of selection, when all players agree they are ported to selected dungeon.

queue is actually priority queue so groups that lose members and players part of a group where a member declined are pushed to front.

there in 10 mins i just created the basic skeleton of the queue, and most of the code can be pirated from other existing features.

I agree, I don't think a dungeon finder would be hard to code, it seems like, either they don't like the idea, or didn't think of it, maybe because it wasn't widely used when the game was originally designed.