Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

What catalyst drivers are you on, do you have issues?

iain_b

Since there is no technical support forum (really?) I figured I'd ask here.

If you are currently playing in EGA what Catalyst driver are you using?

I'm on 11.9, I upgraded to it back in October for a beta weekend since it fixed some problems with the cinematics that prevented me from playing.

I was still using 11.9 during the Thanksgiving beta weekend and with the exception of having to turn shadows off the game ram perfectly.

Is anyone running Catalyst 11.12? Are they working well enough to upgrade?

BTW, I'm running a pair of 6870s in Crossfire.

You should always use the latest drivers.

When it comes to drivers and BIOS updates I've always subscribed to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" methodology and it's served me well for years.

If the newer drivers didn't fix the one issue I was having with 11.9 (flickering shadows) I wouldn't see the need in upgrading since none of them would have optimizations for TOR yet anyway.

When it comes to drivers and BIOS updates I've always subscribed to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" methodology and it's served me well for years.

If the newer drivers didn't fix the one issue I was having with 11.9 (flickering shadows) I wouldn't see the need in upgrading since none of them would have optimizations for TOR yet anyway.

You will get away with it for a while with GPU drivers, but pretty soon you will realize that the latest drivers offer significant performance increases. Take skyrim for example. The latest AMD drivers just gave the game a 10% performance increase.

You will get away with it for a while with GPU drivers, but pretty soon you will realize that the latest drivers offer significant performance increases. Take skyrim for example. The latest AMD drivers just gave the game a 10% performance increase.

And you're exactly right. But in general I'm leery of upgrading my drivers for a game that hasn't (officially) come out yet. :)

And you're exactly right. But in general I'm leery of upgrading my drivers for a game that hasn't (officially) come out yet. :)

I used to dislike upgrading drivers as well in the past. Back when doing so meant more bugs then fixes. However recently in the last year or so, driver updates (especially for ATI) have been pretty much all positive experiences. Even the install/update process has gotten far better, where you don't have to wipe/sweep/clean/jerk the whole system before installing the new version.

Times have changed. Things are getting better ;)

Edited by Frigidman

hey guys, i'm experiencing a black screen even as early as character creation. all the buttons for the interface show up but no real video. I tried updating my drivers this morning and it said i was up to date, however my machine is far from new. I am running a:

Dell Optiplex GX620

Pentium 4 CPU 3.40 GHz

with 2G Ram

while my graphics card is: an ATI Radeon either X300 or X500 series.

Any Suggestions?

hey guys, i'm experiencing a black screen even as early as character creation. all the buttons for the interface show up but no real video. I tried updating my drivers this morning and it said i was up to date, however my machine is far from new. I am running a:

Dell Optiplex GX620

Pentium 4 CPU 3.40 GHz

with 2G Ram

Any Suggestions?

What is the date on your drivers? Having windows check to see if you're up to date does not always mean you're up to date.

Dell Optiplex GX620

Pentium 4 CPU 3.40 GHz

with 2G Ram

Any Suggestions?

Please make a new thread, it would make it a lot easier for people to find your problem and respond to it.

I believe there is even a forum specifically for video and sound issues, but for the life of me I can't find it.

The last time they were updated was probably a few months back. But i went through Catalyst Control Center to search for updates which took me to the main site and it ran a program which said i was up to date. I'm also running Windows XP if that is at all a factor. Too be honest i'm not that much of a techy but if i'm pointed in the right direction can usually figure things out.

I'm running 11.5 on an HD 4890 and aside from the known issue of the laser beams of light in certain areas, I've had little problems. Performance did seem better in beta than in release, but that can't be blamed directly on the driver. So I'd say if anyone has problems with a recent driver and the most recent don't work, try dropping back to 11.5 and see how it goes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.