No Instruction Manual

madglee

I am honestly not trying to troll.

Why is there no instruction manual? Searching forums for answers is not the same as having a nice, thick manual filled with information on classes, abilities, crafting, etc. I really like this game, but it's frustrating to have to come on to forums searching for answers that other people also do not know, and are trying to figure out through experimentation, rather than have a thorough manual. Figuring puzzles and gameplay out is great, but manuals serve to lay out he basic rules and information of any game.

I realize it costs more money to make manuals but PC games just went up by $10 so I'm sure there must be some profit margin for that. Does anyone have a reasonable explanation of why gaming companies have been changing wonderful manuals - like Alpha Centauri or pretty much any game from the late 90s - slowly into pamphlets and finally into absolutely nothing in the box? I think people are still purchasing games at the same rate, and it doesn't make sense to think "no one needs or wants manuals," as can be attested by the myriad questions about various game mechanics all over the forums.

If I had shelled out an extra $60 or whatever for the collector's edition, do they get a manual? Is there a digital manual somewhere that I am not aware of, a .pdf or anything?

1-In a few patches any entire printed manual could become COMPLETELY obsolete due to patches, WoW manual was a perfect example of this.

2-ALL POSSIBLE 'starter' information can be found... funnily enough on the various 'GAME INFO' tabs.

3-You have IN GAME tutorials that explain everything from basic controls through to crew skills and talents. There is no need for you to read a book on it as well until you are looking at min-max efficiency for raiding optomization at lvl 50, and for that there are already several websites, links found on forums, for this information.

Hi there, someone pointed me to this pdf on the EA support forum:

http://help.ea.com/article/star-wars-the-old-republic-manual

It is a lot better than the online version. Has more detailed information.

Excellent, this is exactly what I was looking for. The box and/or download could at least point one to this .pdf or to the URL /gamemanual.

Thanks guys!

If you take a look at the document that is included in the game box, you'll see that they are thanking you for supporting their efforts to significantly reduce paper in their producs, and they give you the address to the online manual.

It's a good cause. They sell a lot of games...

If you take a look at the document that is included in the game box, you'll see that they are thanking you for supporting their efforts to significantly reduce paper in their producs, and they give you the address to the online manual.

It's a good cause. They sell a lot of games...

I have no such paper. Could still have a .PDF ship with game on DVD; irrelevant.

1-In a few patches any entire printed manual could become COMPLETELY obsolete due to patches, WoW manual was a perfect example of this.

You think that was bad?

During the summer of 2007, when I first started playing World of Warcraft, I bought a strategy guide for the game.

... Yeah. :rolleyes: