Please fix the FPS issues.

BOLTgamer

Now, this is coming from an sincere fan of all your games, and a definite fan of Star Wars: The Old Republic, but I definitely think that you need to fix the FPS issues with the game. Now I know there is a wide array of threads out there discussing this issue, but I would've loved to seen this issue fixed in patch 1.1

People are gonna be saying "I have no issues", well sure you don't, but that doesn't mean other people aren't encountering these issues, and negative input in this thread will only make the community support team think this is a less important issue.

About the issue, this is really one of the game-breaking issues I encounter within the game. First off, I know this isn't only me because I see a wide arrange of people on the forums discussing this issue; I also see that my friends have the same EXACT issue. I run a beast machine, I get 80-111 fps anywhere in the open world (Everything maxed, except V sync and Bloom off), but all of a sudden on the Republic fleet, or in warzones -- Mostly the Civil War, warzone) It drops from 20-40 fps.

This is really discouraging to people who are able to run rigs like this, and really a gamebreaking factor, Bioware, please fix this! Thanks.

Hopefully. One of my friends is considering quitting the game over how terrible his FPS in warzones is; to the point that it's actually hampering his performance. It's fine everywhere else.

For what it's worth, I had the exact same problem with bad warzone FPS in Warhammer Online (where some of SWTOR's developers came from) and it ended up being a problem with how often the UI refreshed buffs and debuffs on the player frames that fixed it... a player mod which introduced a delay rather than the usual real-time updates fixed it.

It's weird, because I was told a while ago, and even confirmed recently, that my graphics card, a Radeon HD 5570, should have ABSOLUTELY NO TROUBLE running this game on maximum settings. But high-render areas, and especially warzones, kill me in the performance department, even with shadows off.

How is it that my card can run Dead Space 2 and Witcher 2 just fine, but struggles with this?

It's weird, because I was told a while ago, and even confirmed recently, that my graphics card, a Radeon HD 5570, should have ABSOLUTELY NO TROUBLE running this game on maximum settings. But high-render areas, and especially warzones, kill me in the performance department, even with shadows off.

How is it that my card can run Dead Space 2 and Witcher 2 just fine, but struggles with this?

Dead Space 2 is EXTREMELY well optimized.

So is Batman AC and so is Skyrim.

TOR has three problems :

- Actually horrible optimization

- Actual game engine trouble (memory leak)

- Unable to use the ressources of some systems properly (multi threaded desktop and laptops so it seems)

I love this game enough to endure playing hours on end with 1-2 FPS on average. I meet all system requirements, have FiOS, and have done any little repair/ adjustment to my comp. It is really your servers, not my comp. I hope a fix comes soon because the customer service on this is rapid but of no help at all. Thank you.

I love this game enough to endure playing hours on end with 1-2 FPS on average. I meet all system requirements, have FiOS, and have done any little repair/ adjustment to my comp. It is really your servers, not my comp. I hope a fix comes soon because the customer service on this is rapid but of no help at all. Thank you.

It is not the servers because hundreds of thousands of players are playing fine. IF you get 1-2 FPS, then it is 100% an issue with something on your machine.

Dead Space 2 is EXTREMELY well optimized.

So is Batman AC and so is Skyrim.

TOR has three problems :

- Actually horrible optimization

- Actual game engine trouble (memory leak)

- Unable to use the ressources of some systems properly (multi threaded desktop and laptops so it seems)

Skyrim is one of the most dirty console ports ever.It's pretty much a "ctrl c ctrl v" job.Nothing in this games vanilla version is optimised but it still runs 1000 times better than SWTOR.

IF you get 1-2 FPS, then it is 100% an issue with something on your machine.

Absolutely incorrect. There MAY be an issue with their machine, however with the sheer number of people experiencing framerate issues on high-end machines, it is not necessarily their machine. This is exactly the sort of attitude that is intensely unhelpful in support forums.

I'm one of the people fortunate enough to have a very playable baseline experience. However, the memory leak is still very much a problem. I can watch the game's memory usage creep higher and higher over the course of play until the frame rates are reduced and the game chugs anytime it loads new models/textures or audio. The baseline experience is actually not bad, when it works, and I really enjoy the visuals when they're working properly. The poor optimization, terrible memory leak and broken highrez textures definitely need seeing to, though.

Edited by KTheAlchemist

It is not the servers because hundreds of thousands of players are playing fine. IF you get 1-2 FPS, then it is 100% an issue with something on your machine.

It may not be an issue with his machine, and likely isn't if he meets the specifications. You should expect to play the game with 30fps with minimum graphic settings on a machine that meets the minimum specs and 60+ fps with a machine that meets the recommended specs.

They did something recently, between the last week of beta and launch and it has impacted specifically windows 7, the graphics functionality and the game. Running the game in XP SP3 compatibility mode within Windows 7 bypasses part of the problem but it is not really a fix, Windows has a very poor XP emulator and it can cause a number of other issues.

There is also a significant memory leak, play for a while and machines with less ram plummet as the computer starts to cache to run the game and when you are relying on a disk cache your performance is boned.

By running the game in XP compat mode I went from about 30fps to 110fps, around what i was getting in beta running it without XP compat, but I wouldn't want to rely on running it in compat mode as it is causing other issues.

The game also needs an option to cap the fps, there is no point drawing 110 frames a second, i can't see the difference and all it does running my gpu at 100% all the time is heat it up unnecessarily and draw more power, think of the environment!

Edited by traft

Yup, you can put into the class of "decent enough rig, but this game's fps is ALL OVER THE PLACE" category.

I mean, if I can get rock solid 100+ fps in something like Far Cry 2, or Crysis with almost maxed details ... yet then in this game I'm going from 110fps (seems to be the cap for me) down to 20 fps when I walk through a DOOR... well, something aint right. And I don't even want to talk about warzones or doing any sort of pvp, cause that becomes an unbearable mess of jitter, jagger, ripper, and stutter.

Mind you I am running with: Low this, low that, medium for textures, settings in this game. Bloom is off, vsync is off. It's not like I have everything maxed out and am crying I see a drop in fps. I'm running it as low as I can visually bear.

So, for me (along with the UI, but lets not bring up that dead horse), this is a game breaking situation.

Different genres, different engines. The companies that produce both of those games are not looking to run multiplayer for thousands like an MMO.

You meet minimum or recommended requirements? It's mostly the client.

This is a know issue already. They are already working on the problem. Bringing this up every PTR build is not going to speed anything up.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=147732

Read the second post. They know about the issue.

Yeah, I know that but it worries me they haven't fixed this in patch 1.1

I mean seriously, the Republic Fleet is the Ironforge of SWTOR, they are designed the same, and lag all around.

You are either:

Running with settings too high for your rig.

Not realizing having 100 people in a small area IS GOING TO EFFECT YOUR PERFORMANCE.

Really, you should stop making excuses. I have a radeon hd 6990 2gb, 16gb of ram, 1tb hd, 500gb external hd, 120gb SSD

I run every game max, and I play super smooth, not even any hiccups. I also play other MMORPG's and multiplayer games that HAVE WAY more then 100 people in the same area.

You seem to not know the issue is a memory leak, it has nothing to do with the amount of players, it just has serious memory leaks and it's sad Bioware didn't fix it considering it was in the very first builds of beta.

You are either:

Running with settings too high for your rig.

Not realizing having 100 people in a small area IS GOING TO EFFECT YOUR PERFORMANCE.

In imperial fleet at 3 AM there were 13 people there I had the same exact fps that i did when there was 100 people there. textures on high (because i get lower fps on low) and everything else on low and shadows off.

In imperial fleet at 3 AM there were 13 people there I had the same exact fps that i did when there was 100 people there. textures on high (because i get lower fps on low) and everything else on low and shadows off.

And what are your system specs?

Troll is troll, he is just stroking his e-peen as he is in the "I dont see the problem" gang who seem to think that since he doesn't have the problem, then there is no problem for every single other person in the universe around him.

Just ignore him.