Considering abandoning Seer completely. Help, please

Gyrfalcon

My own gear is focused on Willpower and +Crit

I stopped reading the whole thread at this point.

I had the exact same problem as you when I hit high 30s. Everything prior to that was a cakewalk. But as soon as I got to Quesh, I realized something was wrong, and it wasn't my playstyle or my companions.

I realized I was gearing myself all wrong: WP > Crit > Surge > everything else

What you need is higher potency heals to reduce the amount of button-mashing required. More buttons mashed = higher likelihood of running OOF & overheals. I'm sure there's great advice from all the previous posts, but if there's anything you should take from anyone here, move Power up your stat priority list. It should solve most of your problems. With that being said, however, don't neglect crit. It's still good to have at least 20%. More is good, obviously, but don't focus on it.

I'm 49 now, and haven't had any trouble since.

Edited by Vejek

That was another part of my problem. How can I completely re-gear my character when I suddenly hit a wall on Quesh? - even if I had understood that I was gearing the wrong way. I'm set up as a Synthweaver, but I could bankrupt myself quite easily running Missions to get the crit mats for the gear with +Power on it. And no one in my guild was able to make the mods for similar reasons. At level cap, this wouldn't be a problem, but when I'm going to out-level the gear in a week or two, at most, it makes little sense to me spending a lot of time and credits for new gear. I doubt Bioware deliberately designed Quesh to be the spot that makes you go back to Balmorra so you can get enough creds to completely change your gear, but it felt that way to me at times.

I've been picking up more +Power and Alacrity gear on Hoth and, regardless, haven't struggled nearly as much on Hoth. I've even quit Force Lifting every single Strong I see and have only had trouble a few times.

I know I'm a total Zenith fangirl, but if you have him fleshed out on gear, he does some pretty awesome DPS, both in AOE and sniper stances. I've heard that Nadia is better, but alas, she's not nearly as sexy to me so she gets to stay on the ship most of the time.

If I'm attacking 2+ targets, I bubble both of us, throw down force quake where it will hit the highest number of targets. Usually FQ takes out the normals, Zenith picks off the rest, or we finish silvers together. At level 41 he had more HP than I did, more armor than I did, and reguarly critted for 1700+ damage. He does up to 3k damage now on those crits now, and I'm 46. He's got orange boots, chest, helm, gloves and legs and I keep him as upgraded as I can afford.

On single target heroics, put him in sniper mode. Melee mobs are particularly easy by alternating stuns, knockbacks, project to slow them down and our dots.

I highly recommend you take power over crit. I love me some crit but power is pure gold for Seers.

Don't quit your Sage, quit your Seer ;). Once I got Forcequake, I realized that a DPS heavy build + Tharan as a companion might begin to overtake the "low and slow" Seer + Qyzen strategy. I spec'd into a Balance hybrid build and have been loving it ever since. I've since also found a great synergy between the 3rd and 4th tiers of the TK and Balance trees.

Shoot for something like this, http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#600Zf0rMdZcrzRszz.1. The important talents here are Pinning Resolve, Telekinetic Balance, Presence of Mind, Psychic Projection and Telekinetic Wave, in that order.

It goes without saying, but always bubble yourself before going into combat, and keep an eye on the lockout timer so you can reaply it. Also, remember to toggle off Tharan's Holiday projection, so you can use the skill tactically during fights, especially as an interrupt (though it's rather unreliable, it's great when it works). I also tend to toggle off both of his attack abilities, as I'd rather he spend his free time keeping me topped off. I have more than enough DPS myself.

On packs of mobs with no elite, I simply open with Forcequake to soften them up. Toss a Weaken Mind if there are any Strong mobs. Then just Telekinetic Throw spam, for the most part. In this build it has no cooldown, hits quite hard and also procs Presence of Mind, making your next cast-timed attack go off instantly. Once the proc is up, hit Telekinetic Wave if there's more than 1 mob still up. Hit Mind Crush if a Strong or better mob has 50% health or more, else default to Disturbance. Honestly, most times I'll just hit TK Wave regardless. Force is rarely an issue, and it's best DPS you've got when it can be cast instantly.

On packs of mobs with 1 or more elites, cast Force Lift on a mob toward the center of the pack. With Pinning Resolve, you'll take 3 of the mobs out of the fight for well beyond when you're ready to kill them. Skip Forcequake for now, unless you're sure it won't hit the cc'd mobs. Keep in mind the diameter of the blast is at least 50% larger than the ground placement graphic. Then just wittle the pack down one by one. The amount of Presence of Mind procs you get with this build is ridiculous. Mobs just melt, and it's fun and effective in PvP as well, at least until those Sith Juggs and Operatives catch up to you.

I leveled to 50 as pure heals. Lots of good bits of advice in this thread. One thing I found and observed is that we do level slower. I watched another person w/ a DPS built just slice through things. I leveled up w/ Qyzen primarily, eventually i started using Nadia exclusively around lvl 45. I do think I was slower than others, but I was also interested if it was possible for a pure heals build to do so. I do think though as you hit these rough patches it helps you learn more about your class and the tools you have at your disposal. So when you do hit 50, you'll have a good solid understanding of what you are capable of.

-Use your CC's. I didnt see any mention of the 8 second stun we have (forget the name of it). I tend to use that a lot in the fights.

-CC the toughest mob and kill off all the lowbie mobs then focus on the big guys

-force bubbles yourself prior to every fight & your companion

-make sure your companion's gear is as up to date as possible.

- using Nadia will speed things up, but the fights are more out of control. Expect for the mobs to aim for you, once you heal.

-Forcequake + Nadia has seen me slice through normal mobs plus 1 silver one. I really felt like I was doing well around lvl 45, when I started sending Nadia in, then hiting up forcequake. Was fun watching the bodies drop for once.

-there were several planets where the difficulty just ramped up for me, and I had to take a moment and rethink my strategies. Quesh & Voss are those.

-At level 50 the dailies are also "tough" but doable. I find myself having to meditate frequently even now at 50. Though these are doing hte dailies.

-PVP to break up the leveling process.

-your rotation seemed pretty spot on.

-'i'd usually start my Mind crush, then send my companion to hit that mob.

-Make sure to focus fire w/ your companion. 1 less mob means less dmg incoming.

-Use Force lift if there is a silver or Gold mob.

-Use your interupts when you can

-I put 3 points in Clamoring Force in the TK tree. I did this at various points during lvling, i think i dropped my first poitn int here around lvl 20, then 30ish, then 38ish. I felt this did help my dps output. I also took the increased force, the 6% willpower from the other tree. Otherwise everything else was from the heal tree

When you are leveling as a healing spec, try to take on content a few levels lower than yourself... that kinda evens the playing field.

The nice thing though is, you can take on Flashpoints a few levels higher than you are, so it balances out.

Use Nadia and gear the **** our of her with the gear you don't use. Everything goes so much faster. I really like Nadia. I had a lot of orange gear in my bank and remodded it for her and she is a beast of a dps now. Edited by Ruuprect

I think the issue here has very little to do with the class, and very much to do with not being very good at the game.

-A person not training Tumult because "we're not melee" (and of course never get rushed by a mob either??)

-A Synthweaver who can't afford to craft gear?

-A person who lists their "rotation", where Force Lift is not only not the first thing, but isn't even used?

-Someone complaining that their healer spec takes too long to kill mobs?

And etc.

My free advice is to switch specs, classes, heck even factions. If you can find a class/AC that you can play poorly and still destroy everything in the game in under a minute, grats. That, or dedicate yourself to your AC and actually learn to play it, without writing a post complaining that such-and-such AC is "underpowered". My goodness me.

I leveled to 50 no problem and cast tumult maybe a half dozen times during the process. It's just not that useful for sages. Not wanting to be in melee range -- and stealing aggro from your companion, particularly if that companion is Nadia and has sketchy aggro to being with -- is a perfectly good reason.

I leveled to 50 as full seer, with no issues whatsoever.

Sure, it takes a bit longer to kill stuff, but I basically felt untouchable throughout the entire game.

The spec is a little underwhelming until you get healing trance, but after that, you can easily fight 3-4 strong mobs simultaneously without using force lift. Iresso and Qyzen can hold aggro very well, so just keep them healed and they will pretty much do the rest.

The only fight I recall being tough was the first son at the end. But even there, I ended the fight with around 35% force, and me and Iresso at full health.

I also was able to get into many groups simply because I'm a healer, which is a nice bonus.