SW:TOR will be the first MMO killed by single player games

Red_Cruiser

I am happy to play other games as well as MMO's.

I play what i want when i want and lucky i am not bound to the concept of having to play a subscription based game 24/7 just to justify a subscription.

I rolled my first alt yesterday and found it hard to go back to my 'main' so for me this game will have plenty of life in it as i really do want to see the class stories play out.

Do not feel bad for playing other games that is what being a gamer is all about.

I agree with this guy.

:)

That's funny because BioWare has said this is a Story-driven MMORPG which would put the Story as main content.

Also what you said is just you're opinion. Not a fact.

It still has the other things for those who like the other things... but, for those who really like story, we have 8 play throughs, so far, to see the entire story, and that's not too improbable. I mean, I beat Mass Effect six times, and the differences in story weren't particularly big other than the one time renegade and one time paragon- a good story is worth seeing to those who love a good story.

Does SWTOR have a story that lives up to ME, NWN and DA:O? Maybe, maybe not. To me, it feels like KOTOR 3- which is what I expected and hoped for.

Regardless, I don't see single player games killing it... single player games are more and more coming out at 4-12 hours to beat. There are exceptions (Skyrim, Arkham City, Dark Souls) and some coming out that'll likely be longer (Mass Effect 3, Tales of Grace F). But on average, people spend their time playing multiplayer games while they wait for the next single player- stuff like TOR, Battlefield or League of Legends.

I for one will be playing Tales, ME3 and Bioshock when they come out- but, that might take a week or two (well, Tales would likely take a month or two) and I'll still be playing this game for the social aspect... just not as much.

All MMOs have a "vanilla" stage.

World of Warcraft is the only MMO in the last seven years to really get out of it's vanilla stage.

Everyone else dumps a new MMO either because the vanilla isn't exactly like WoW, or it's genuinely bad.

It's really, REALLY hard to release an MMO that has as much content / features as WoW does.

It's virtually impossible to do that- the best thing one can do is have a full game of content and be relatively bug free- which SWTOR has done.

Other mmos have failed because they haven't done one or the other- WAR had nothing endgame (that worked anyway, city sieges were still broken when I quit half a year after launch, and I mean broken as in bugged broken), AoC looked amazing... until you got past Tortage, when it felt like suddenly there was no game at all- lack of content.

TOR seems to have enough to get you to max level, and stuff at max level to do- with improvements coming promptly to areas that need help, like ops and pvp. That's another thing that is important for a starting mmo, moving quickly. It took WoW over a year to moderately stabilize- and even now, seven years later, there are still huge bugs that cripple some classes that have been in for over a year and a half- if BW can show they can move on bugs faster than Blizzard, they might even be able to pull ahead of the mmo giant.

Hello,

I hold hopes that in 2-3 months, when I have casually explored all of the existing story content, the game will add some more. I also enjoy RP with fellow players, so that will keep me occupied for some time. I know that in the Fallout series, game designers have introduced periodic content additions that keep the game fresh and rewarding. I expect the same here, at quarterly intervals.

Of course, if you don't agree, there's always this:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/379938_356134297733526_100000108751547_1602355_1591038097_n.jpg

WHY don't people get it?

This game was released in late 2011, its competitor is WOW late 2011 NOT WoW 2004. Think about it for a minute and let it sink in, if you are even able to do that. Seriously.

You expect a new release to have the same content as a game 12 years in constant development that also has 3 expansions? Good luck with that, but I might suggest your expectations are too high and there is only one game that wil ever satisfy you.

Edited by Englefield

You are wrong. You are done with the story in this game within the first month of gameplay.

Ive finished leveling, finished the story and 90% of the high-end gameplay is gear grinding - hard-mode flashpoint, operations, warzones, daily quests.

And thats very similar to every other MMO. The story part in this game is just a bonus, the main content is dungeons, pve and pvp.

Well, to be clear, you finished A story. There are 7 others. I intend to complete them all.

Part of it will be BioWare's fault. The main selling point to this game is the story, and the story in this game just doesn't measure up to the experience from an actual single player game. Whether it's Mass Effect 3 in a couple of months, Amalur right around the corner, or who knows what else... I really think that the people who stop playing this game long enough to enjoy a different game won't feel like coming back to this one... especially if they've already reached the end game and seen how "exciting" life at 50 is. Then a little bit past that you start getting into the territory of the Guild Wars II and TSW and Diablo 3 releases and that will probably be the final nails in the coffin.

I'm pretty sure that eventually we will all be confronted with one of those "must play" titles, but I'm willing to bet that even if Amalur isn't your thing, most people here will take a break to play through Mass Effect 3 at least once, if not twice, and that's going to be all that it takes to break that MMO hold, because well... most of us have already quit WoW, quitting this game sure isn't going to be all that different.

Maybe for some. I tend to look at this as an MMO though and whilst I will ofc play some single player games I will always come back to playing an MMO.. such as this.. as I did with WoW.. I don't see your point unless you are saying that this is a single player game then you would be wrong.

WHY don't people get it?

This game was released in late 2011, its competitor is WOW late 2011 NOT WoW 2004. Think about it for a minute and let it sink in, if you are even able to do that. Seriously.

The main problem is the mindset of people like you, who somehow think that it is possible to squeeze 12 years of game developement into 5 or so. It is not.

You can say that SWTOR is competitor in 2011 game market, which of course has different demands than the 2004, however comparing mmo released in 2004 with one released in 2011 is like comparing some high school fella with a chap with a degree from Harvard. Seriously.

WHY don't people get it?

This game was started in 2006 and released in 2011, so yes, it is competing with 2004 WoW on release, I'll get another warning for this I'm sure, but you people are so dumb when it comes to comparison. If the game was vs. 2011 WoW, EVERYTHING IN THE GAME WOULD HAVE BEEN DEVELOPED IN 2011! The game would NOT be released! Holy hutta (hue hue) take the arrow out y'er knee and put logic to the brain!

WHY don't people get it?

MMOs would never get made if competitors thought that way. You have to be realistic, it would be prohibitively expensive to make a game with 7 years' worth of content (and 4 expansions is it?) right off the bat, and a ridiculous risk for an investor to make.

I don't think most people who are experienced with MMOs would expect that, which is why we compare apples to apples (game launch to game launch).

Also, part of the fun of an MMO is growing with it as it changes and develops.

Also, being a competitor to WoW doesn't necessarily mean instantly having more subscribers than it. WoW grew and overtook EQ, its own competitor (which was the top dog at that time, with vastly more subs than any other MMO at that time). No doubt BW would be happy if SWTOR grew to overtake WoW.

But even if it's "only" the second-biggest Western MMO by a wide margin, that's probably going to be make the investors happy.

It's odd how people have made up this silly standard of "WoW killer" for MMOs that come out. The silly standard is often part of the reason they're perceived to "fail", whereas actually they haven't necessarily failed at all. There are lots of levels of "success" in making MMOs, and an MMO can be considered a money-making success even with 100k or 200k subs, if that's what it was aiming for. I haven't seen anywhere where BW said they were aiming for 11 million (I think somewhere they say their lowest sub to recoup and make a decent profit would be 500k and anything over that is gravy?)

Edited by gurugeorge