The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Problems binding to the ` key

Jazzlok

It's just... weird how a completely legitimate button on the British Keyboard just doesn't work. I've actually opened up a ticket (thankfully I could save myself an extra second by pressing \, phew!) because I'm now convinced it's just some small bug which slipped through the system. It's such a natural keybind for me, I've had to try putting stealth on 'C' and that just isn't working for me at all.

I've had no problems binding to this particular key either.

is to the left of the '1'. I didn't know my keyboard had to pick a nationality either.

Different nationalities have different keyboards.. suprize for you? From my keyboard there is buttons for äöå... you?

The key your referring to is known as the "tilde" key. Not sure why it's not working for you, I bound my toggle run/walk to it and it works just fine. I know this isn't very helpful, but at least it seems to rule it out as a server-side game issue (since your the only one who seems to have the problem judging by the other posts)

The key your referring to is known as the "tilde" key. Not sure why it's not working for you, I bound my toggle run/walk to it and it works just fine. I know this isn't very helpful, but at least it seems to rule it out as a server-side game issue (since your the only one who seems to have the problem judging by the other posts)

I just assumed Australian keyboards would be British if anything, but tbh I am surprised there are different English language keyboards full stop.

Edited by RulingFaction

Actually that is not the case, a lot of people are having this problem (entire countries!). The tilde (~) is a seperate key on the opposite side of the keyboard left of enter.

Edited by Jargonaut

Actually this seems to be a British keyboard layout problem.

I never have to use ` ¬ or ¦ anyway so I'm going to try and change the layout out of game. Doing that appears to be quite difficult though, since I own no third party program to do it.

You mean the one where if you Ctrl + 1, 2 or 3 or anynumber quickly your sound turns off or your character will autorun with no way to stop it?

• Press and Hold Down CTRL key (keep holding it)

• Now press and Hold Down "RIGHT" mouse button on the games screen (continue holding both key's)

Got it? So once more that's CTRL key down and holding, now try using the right mouse button to click-n-hold to pan the game camera around

The game doesn't allow it. It's the first game I have come across that does not allow the player to use CTRL Right panning, and can be very helpful when using an ability you have on CTRL and also need to swing the camera around while doing 4 things at once.

I'm a keybinder freak, so at times I will have up to 4 keys pressed down at once while PVPing (my keyboard allows up to 20 keys to be pressed at once, so it is not a keyboard limitaion)

The problem is this:

When I encounter this issue the mouse will lose connection to the games screen, causing me to click on the screen again from Left clicking to gain control of the mouse usage within the game. After that I then have control of the mouse on the screen until the next time I'm pressing CTRL + Right Clicking and holding.

Why does this effect you? You're an idiot if you do that:

Most, some do, heavy PVPers do not use Strife key bindings in a game, they use the left/right movement while right-clicking on the mouse to make the character Strife. I am one of those: I use left/right and then hold right mouse to make the character strife (if you don't do this, you're pressing another key 'just' to strife, then you probably don't move that well on screen in heavy battle situations)

I would say about 80% of the time I have my Right mouse button down for Panning and Strifing reasons.

soooo, yeah, the CTRL key is not setup within the game code as a 'dynamic' function unfortunately.

Edited by mikules

It doesn't matter which key it affects on your keyboard, it's still a problem. I'm on a qwerty keyboard and it's driving me up the wall. I have less than perfect control over the last two fingers of my right hand and tend to graze the \ key by accident when I'm reaching over to the enter key to start typing in chat, especially when I'm in a hurry (eg in combat.) For that reason I purposely don't keep that key bound to anything so I don't use any abilities or bring up any menus by accident. Because I can't unbind that key, I now occasionally bring up the ticket menu when I'm trying to type and have stop everything and close the window before I can do anything else. Sooner or later this stupid 'feature' is going to get me killed! Edited by Cylthia

I'm interested to know whether anyone has any theories on why this might be the case, and whether you think it's a bug or not. I just can't fathom this being intentional, having a key which just isn't recognised.

Can anyone recommend a free way of customizing my keyboard layout? I want to remap the key but have derped when it comes to finding a free solution.

I'm interested to know whether anyone has any theories on why this might be the case, and whether you think it's a bug or not. I just can't fathom this being intentional, having a key which just isn't recognised.

Can anyone recommend a free way of customizing my keyboard layout? I want to remap the key but have derped when it comes to finding a free solution.

A way to remap keys at Windows level would be a good solution. Going to have to look into that. If anyone already knows of ways of doing this please post, it would be apreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I've managed to get around this using a program called "Sharp Keys" *Link at the bottom*

Only way I've managed it... I used to use the same key all the time on other MMOs

I've bound the button in question which I can't type anymore due to binding it lol... to the "*" key on my Numpad. It doesn't Overwrite this key only the key next to 1.

Link to software - Don't worry It's perfectly fine, Research it if you are worried about installing it. It's just an easier way of remapping than actually editing the registry yourself :)

http://www.randyrants.com/2006/07/sharpkeys_211.html

I've managed to get around this using a program called "Sharp Keys" *Link at the bottom*

Only way I've managed it... I used to use the same key all the time on other MMOs

I've bound the button in question which I can't type anymore due to binding it lol... to the "*" key on my Numpad. It doesn't Overwrite this key only the key next to 1.

Link to software - Don't worry It's perfectly fine, Research it if you are worried about installing it. It's just an easier way of remapping than actually editing the registry yourself :)

http://www.randyrants.com/2006/07/sharpkeys_211.html

According to Norton Internet Security, this web page is not safe at all.

According to Norton Internet Security, this web page is not safe at all.

Well, there are other types of program not specifically this one, So if you are worried, have a look at others. I wouldn't post anything Intentionally that could harm your computer.

Google "Windows 7 Keyboard mapping" should bring up a few results.

Just trying to help.