The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

GPU upgrade yielded no effects

Kontagious

I have an AMD Phenom 9600 Quad Core Processor running at 2.6 GHz. I did a bit of research before I bought the Radeon HD 6850 and figured that this shouldn't be bottlenecking. My game should have seen improvement according to studies done by Tom's Hardware as well. :/

You should check your video control panel settings, and make sure you have the latest drivers of course before picking up new components.

Start with the basics and go from there.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Also you are running the latest drivers downloaded from the site correct? You should download the latest drivers not just install the ones that came on the disc with the GPU.

Yeah, I installed them directly from the site. 11.12 drivers.

You should check your video control panel settings, and make sure you have the latest drivers of course before picking up new components.

Start with the basics and go from there.

I did, I made sure before buying this card all that was in place.

Basically, we need to find out if you are having these performance issues in swtor or all other games/app's as well.

Run something else that will put some stress on your card and see if you are having the same issues. You can download 3dmark let it run the bencmark test share the results.

Edited by Acebeans

as I understand it I am using a dated card, geforce gtx560

but it runs the game at 80 - 100 fps without fail, sometimes dropping to 40-60 in pvp

sounds like you are running on a much worse card.

That's not a dated card. That is still the latest generation of Nvidia cards.

Look i build/fix computer's for a living, lets start with the basics, how many sticks of ram do you have? is it DDr2 DDr3? if you have multiple sticks, take them all out and only have 1 stick in, boot up the pc and run SW, has anything improved? no? ok fine, repeat until all sticks are tested individually, yes you could run a ram test, only takes half a day (my way is faster)

ok so ram is tested its not that, do you have a spare hard drive? yes? ok cool, install windows 7 which takes very little time and update it, once done connect your old hard drive back to pc, boot it up and run SW from it, if it doesnt run, then copy paste the main folder into your program files, im not sure if SW allows you to do this, but eve,wow aoc etc do, so i dont see why it wont.. point of fresh install on blank HD is to remove any corrupted sectors and such also virus/spyware crap that can easily make your machine run like its bottlenecked to hell.

Ok now you tested ram/HD and still no joy? cool, now and only now do i personally say it's your motherboard, sure it could be your PSU but im doubting it aslong as its above 500w.

there is more you could do but thats my best advice for now. your new gpu can run SWTOR fine, your old GPU can run swtor much better then it was running for "you", so im ruling out the GPU being the problem. hope some of this info helps.

Also is your hard drive a sata drive? or is it the older IDE? if it is IDE that also could be your problem because they are ancient

Edited by Ishikur

Look i build/fix computer's for a living, lets start with the basics, how many sticks of ram do you have? is it DDr2 DDr3? if you have multiple sticks, take them all out and only have 1 stick in, boot up the pc and run SW, has anything improved? no? ok fine, repeat until all sticks are tested individually, yes you could run a ram test, only takes half a day (my way is faster)

ok so ram is tested its not that, do you have a spare hard drive? yes? ok cool, install windows 7 which takes very little time and update it, once done connect your old hard drive back to pc, boot it up and run SW from it, if it doesnt run, then copy paste the main folder into your program files, im not sure if SW allows you to do this, but eve,wow aoc etc do, so i dont see why it wont.. point of fresh install on blank HD is to remove any corrupted sectors and such also virus/spyware crap that can easily make your machine run like its bottlenecked to hell.

Ok now you tested ram/HD and still no joy? cool, now and only now do i personally say it's your motherboard, sure it could be your PSU but im doubting it aslong as its above 500w.

there is more you could do but thats my best advice for now. your new gpu can run SWTOR fine, your old GPU can run swtor much better then it was running for "you", so im ruling out the GPU being the problem. hope some of this info helps.

Also is your hard drive a sata drive? or is it the older IDE? if it is IDE that also could be your problem because they are ancient

I just had to lol.

I just had to lol.

K and your advice was that much better mr 20fps, i get over 110 fps in pvp and in tattooine, want screenshots? oh and yes all max including shadows. clearly one of us is doing it wrong.

Edited by Ishikur

What about setting processor affinity? I know it allowed for noticeable upgrades for Windows Vista users back in WAR, though that may have been peculiar to Vista itself.

I was running XP on a dual core at the time, so it wasn't an option, and I can't personally attest to what kind of improvement it could yield.

Edited by Ansultares

People pay you to fix/build computers for a living? Eeeeek

Anyways, if the OP could list all his computer specs (emphasis on the "ALL") it would be much easier to diagnose. With the information we have here it could be because of numerous reasons.

That mobo/cpu combo is pretty dated, same with RAM (DDR2 I'm assuming). If this is an older prebuilt computer the PSU is probably not adequate enough for the GPU. So many things, need more info.

I just upgraded my Radeon HD 4850 to a Radeon HD 6850, and I saw zero changes in fps. I still get around 20 fps on planets in the open like Tatooine. Indoors I still get around 40-50 fps . On the fleet and in warzones the game is still unplayable because of my fps. Why have I seen no change in my framerate? This is upsetting. :/ I've noticed quite a bit of improvement in other games I've tried, but none in SWTOR. Can anyone help me?

The game underperforms and can yield issues for even stronger cards than the HD 6850.

BW needs to work heavily on optimizing, cus I mean, come on, the game isn't really full of physical details and complex light calculations like modern FPS.

People pay you to fix/build computers for a living? Eeeeek

Anyways, if the OP could list all his computer specs (emphasis on the "ALL") it would be much easier to diagnose. With the information we have here it could be because of numerous reasons.

That mobo/cpu combo is pretty dated, same with RAM (DDR2 I'm assuming). If this is an older prebuilt computer the PSU is probably not adequate enough for the GPU. So many things, need more info.

Well if you worked in the field you would know yourself that RAM is the most common issue on computer's, it's also dirt cheap to replace. sniffing around looking for files, tweaking, and multiple driver crap imo is a waste of time, much easier to do a clean install, but to each there own, when someone gives me a pc they dont get the option to keep there os as is, its wiped, and we backup what they need, that is store policy.

Edited by Ishikur

Can you list your computer specs? I run a Radeon 5850 and have zero FPS issues. Sounds like you have an underlying problem.

I have the radeon 5850 aswell and 8GB ram and Phenom X4 3.4,latest driver etc and still get crappy fps..

My dad buys me Alienwares, so I haven't had to worry about this game's graphical problems

However, I have heard other people say that they've had the same issue; where upgrading their computer doesn't help. I would recommend just getting a new one entirely, or waiting for BioWare to fix the Hero Engine

Don't listen to this subject matter expert. His dad buys him Alienwares. LOL What a garbage manufacturer.

Their game is bad. Upgrading your PC to fix their programmers terrible job is pointless.

I'm running an i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz, 16GB RAM, and 2 GTX 580's SLI. The game runs like a hot bag of trash. I recommend you save your money upgrading and cancel your SWTOR sub and come back when the game is fixed. No sense rewarding them for a bad job.