The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Can a Vanguard hold down a DPS spot in PVE Operations?

Darrack

Ok firstly I don't care about PvP. not my thing and I suck at it.

When i look at all the classes in SWTOR the Vanguard is the one that grabs me and I have had a great time up to 42.

The Guild I am in has more tanks than you can poke a stick at, so I am interested in knowing if an Assualt spec Vanguard can put out enough dps to hold down a spot in Operations?

thoughts from those up around 50 would be appreciated

cheers

From what I gather, if you spec and gear for DPS, you should do just fine as Assault.

Tactics. I've done both Assault and tactics in pve and pvp at 50.

Assault will be fine if the fight is short, but longer fights will require ammo management only possible with Tactics.

In my limited Assault experience, you burn through ammo with procs and then you are left hammer shot'ing for a long time.

Tactics. I've done both Assault and tactics in pve and pvp at 50.

Assault will be fine if the fight is short, but longer fights will require ammo management only possible with Tactics.

In my limited Assault experience, you burn through ammo with procs and then you are left hammer shot'ing for a long time.

^this

tactics has that ammo regen with high energy cell skill which basically gives you endless supply of ammo.

Without dps meters, no one can accurately measure performance based solely on ammo. Mixing in hammershots to balance the proc-based dps rotation of assault may well provide higher dps with the maintenance of its dots and +damage talents when dots are active.

With ionic accelerator, and a bit of control, I have no ammo issues with extended fights.

Oh, and it's worth noting that you don't burn through ammo with procs, in assault... The proc is free

Edited by Bagdemagus

Without dps meters, no one can accurately measure performance based solely on ammo. Mixing in hammershots to balance the proc-based dps rotation of assault may well provide higher dps with the maintenance of its dots and +damage talents when dots are active.

With ionic accelerator, and a bit of control, I have no ammo issues with extended fights.

Oh, and it's worth noting that you don't burn through ammo with procs, in assault... The proc is free

The proc that resets the c/d on HiB makes it free as well?

I found that a lot of my ammo disappeared when i had a lot of HiB procs.

The proc that resets the c/d on HiB makes it free as well?

I found that a lot of my ammo disappeared when i had a lot of HiB procs.

The proc makes it free, yes.

Not only that, through High Friction Bolts, HiB GIVES you 1 energy cell if it hits a burning target (and refreshes your plasma cell DoT). So technically, on proc, HiB is better than free.

note: keep them burning, if assault spec.

------------------

Subjectively, I feel Assault Spec doing more stand and fight damange than the more mobile Tactics tree > level 40...I've tried both > 40, for more respec fees than I'll admit to.

In addition to the above, I suggest staying in melee range to hit every stock strike CD and wait until you get Assault Plastique before passing judgement (general statement, not directed at anyone in particular).

edit: to OP: Subjective, but in all the 4-mans I've been in so far, I've always felt I was doing more dps than the other guy as Assault Van (especially after level 40)...If that helps at all...

Edited by Themeatmarket

I've been DPSing Hard/Nightmare EV as Tactics.

I feel like I'm pulling my weight. I kill my 114k add on Infernal Council Nightmare at around the same time as our Gunslingers (sometimes a few seconds behind, it comes down to crits.. I'm only at 30.5% raid buffed). That's about the only way I can measure my DPS over a 1.5 minute period and compare it to others *shrug*.

I've yet to try Assault, but I've got my doubts that it would be as good as Tactics when it comes to Hard/Nightmare Soa simply due to that fight being more about burst in Phase 3 than sustained DPS. Nothing quite like Fire Pulse > Stockstrike > High Impact Bolt > Pulse Cannon (5 stacks) to the face to bring down a Mind Trap quickly.

Assault may well be better for other fights, will have to try it.

Having said that.. Tactics really does hold its own. Wish I could find some more crit/surge 56/58 mod/enhancements or gear though. I really don't need this much Accuracy :(

thanks for the replies,

I was looking at Assualt because a mid range trooper just seems right to me. something odd about haveing a blaster rifle for what is essentially mellee in the Tactics tree

gives me some hope anyway :)

Anthya could you show us the skills you took for nightmare?

If by skills, you mean talents, then your standard 8/31/2:

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/trooper/vanguard/#::e7fe7fe2fe2f2ef8ef10ef13

Before anyone asks - I like interrupting. Hence the 6 second CD. It's come in handy. Kolto Recharge is also situationally decent.

Other than that, it's your standard Tactics PvE DPS build.